Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to our group, December and California! We can help each other do this! I've had periods of sobriety myself, but this time I'm entertaining no doubt that one drink is too many and ten drinks aren't enough, as they say in AA.

Trader - I can really relate to your posts and I'm going to look into that book you said you were reading. Hang in there - today's a brand new day!
You too, john0000 - it's going to take some time for the depression to lift, and if it doesn't, talk to a doc. I know I need my antidepressants to help me, especially now.

You go, Richard and Draciack. I have a special place in my heart for you both (Atlas, too), cuz you were my first new buddies. I like your energy!

Glad you got a little sleep, snowman. Day 3, I slept pretty well, but then last night it was back to tossing and turning for a while. Still, I'm feeling SO much better today than I did a few days ago.

And keepcomingback - I love lilly-of-the-valley. Now I love it even more - thanks for that, fellow MayFlower!

I'm on day 5 and can hardly believe that it feels GOOD.

Let's keep doing this one day at a time!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

OK, I'm on the May wagon!! Day one for me here. I've been thinking about the future a lot, and sometimes I lose track of the one day at a time thing. I'm supposed to visit my brother in San Francisco in two weeks. Think I'm going to have to change my plans. He works at a bar around the corner from his flat, and we were going to go to a couple baseball games. I can't trust myself with that, and I feel bad for probably not going, but I have to do this for me. But see, I got off track again. Just today. Been sober almost 5 hours. May 5th 2010......
Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I second that Welcome!!

I'm house sitting this week & dog sitting. It's sooo nice to have my little get away during this first week. Planning on getting Daisy groomed & checking out either an AA meeting in Nashville or a local service at a church I visited a couple years back--as I remembered them to be really upbeat people & not preachy. I'm not a huge fan of organized religion.

As far as this weekend goes. My Aunt is in town and I'm spending Friday night into Saturday with her, my mom & my grandmother...spending time with family (unfortunately) has been left on the back burner too long. Saturday night & all day Sunday I have to work, so I plan on just going home afterward ---tunnel vision. I'm working on my believable, assertive "No, thank you" responses to come...

Good Luck to all, we're doing Great!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oddman, first of all welcome!

I think it's a smart decision to postpone your trip for a while until you get this straightened out with yourself. I've had to break plans recently in order to not put myself in vulnerable situations. He should understand that you NEED this time for recovery & that tempting situations too soon will only land us back to square one. I'm glad you're here. It's help me a lot simply reading threads & posting & I may be going to my first meeting today.

I would also look into obtaining some group support maybe through going to an AA meeting when you feel ready. I liked getting my feet wet here first, but some face to face time may go a long way in order to help you stick with that "taking it one day at a time" process.

You've made a great first step, being here. We're all in the same boat, though the waters maybe treacherous, we can help each other through this process with shared experiences & learned knowledge. Welcome Aboard!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Richard, yeah, I have a laundry list of things to do as well (including laundry, as a matter of fact ). Papers, books to read, movies to watch, music to listen to, house chores...anything to keep me occupied. I'll probably head to my first AA meeting soon as well, if just to meet some sober folks face-to-face. Turns out all of my friends drink. A lot.

Atlas, that sounds great! Family time is always good (in theory, ). I'm already rehearsing my arguments for the Benefits of Sobriety in case a few friends decide to be difficult.

And, Oddman, welcome! Deciding to quit is one of the most important steps. Changing plans will definitely alleviate some pressure, and there are always more trips, yeah? Just wait until you're more comfortable. And again, Welcome to the Mayflowers.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Oddman! I was hoping you'd come over here and join us!

Every hour we stay sober is a victory for us. I can relate how you talked in your personal thread about trying to rush through doing something with your daughter in order to get to the drinking. It will be such a relief not to have to do that anymore.

Keep it up - you're worth it!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Wow -- this group is really growing!

Great idea to have a plan for the weekend. I have a good weekend planned. Two yoga classes, some DVDs at home, some good food and some organizational tasks at home. If I'm feeling the need I can always go to an AA or SMART meeting. My kids will be with their Dad this weekend so I will get a much needed break from them!!!

I'm taking my son to Hershey Park on Friday as a special treat for him. I'm so glad I have resolved the drinking thing ahead of time. I can just imagine myself trying to fit in alcohol somewhere in the trip and feeling crappy at the park the next morning. Now that I know it's not an option for me, it's a whole lot easier. Take alcohol out of the equation and things get simpler.

Welcome to all the new members!! I'm so excited to have a good support group!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well, here is day three and it's not going bad for me so far, although I know the weekend is the major challenge for me. It always has been. I'm glad this group is taking off and we all are supporting each other.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on day 3 Acorn!

I like how everyone is thinking about their weekend plans. Wish I could join you all! I'm thinking that I'm going to try to get up Saturday and Sunday morning while it's still relatively cool outside (we've had 90 degree days already here - ugh) and go hack at some bushes in my yard. Get that big old electric bush cutter and attack 'em!
Don't know about the evenings - I do have a couple books and stuff recorded on my DVR. And I know I can always hang out here at SR. Oh yeah, I forgot about FOOD. I can do that, too!! (Next week, I hope to be a little more reasonable about eating whatever the h*** I want. I'm also going to start exercising 1/2 hour a day. Didn't want to start this first week. Get sober, then die of a heart attack, you know!)
Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Oh nooo!! The cinco de mayo texts messages have begun...

Yikes! It's ok, I have a plan...explain. politely decline. pick up dog. go to meeting. lock myself up.

Don't entertain it! I just love my inner dialogue...it started going bonkers with that first text.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by AtlasMcGee View Post
Oh nooo!! The cinco de mayo texts messages have begun...
We can have our own holiday Atlas (a holiday from being an alkie). How about "No Drinko for Me-o" or "Think-o Don't Buy-o?"
Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey there, Atlas, you've got this. Just remember - do you want to wake up feeling like crap tomorrow? And not just physically. Sobriety means being able to look in the mirror without shame. Don't let the voices get you down--they shout themselves hoarse quickly enough
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

No cinco texts for me yet. But this is my witching hour, between 3 and 5 pm Mon-Fri. I get done at work, and inevitably I pull into 7-11 for those handy dandy 3-pack of tall bud lights. So that's technically a 6 pack. I can have all of those done before I even get out of the car at home if I really try. I'm so lucky to have never been pulled over. Then I usually find an excuse to get me to CVS. Only $1.79 for a 32oz bottle of Natty Light. Kill that, and then the remorse usually sinks in. so HEY, I haven't done all the BS today. in 2 more hours I'll have 12 hours sober. ALRIGHT!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I'm proud of those 12 hours man, congrats!

They're getting hoarse, raspy even...so annoying. & you're right about looking in the mirror. I've already declined the invites. It's good, it's gOOOOd! 7's my favorite number...tomorrow will be dia numero siete! "Don't Buyo!" hahaha

Thanks, I'll let ya'll know how that meeting goes
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't have Cinco De Mayo down hereaways - nice historical significance...shame about the drinking LOL.

D
Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

lucky you . Here, we steal holidays just so we can have an excuse to drink it seems...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm Australian. I'm surprised we haven't LOL

D
Old 05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey guys - I'm starting to get a little nervous about tomorrow night. I have to go to a bar, and yes, I mean I HAVE to. It's an event that is being done in my honor along with another artist. So just send a little positive energy my way. The good thing is it's only from 5-6:30, and there will be food. I'm feeling confident that I won't drink, but at the same time, I am also having some anxiety with it. Of course, right now, life is a little scary anyway. My plan is to order a tonic and lime (no trigger there cuz I dislike hard liquor) and I have an answer ready for anyone that hands me a glass of wine before I get my own drink.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really can't back out of this, and I know I'll have to face this kind of thing sooner or later.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Tonic and lime sounds like a good idea. Nurse it for 90 minutes. Maybe let someone know that you're not drinking? I can't really give advice, just positive vibes like you mentioned. I know I'll face one of these situations sooner or later.....
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

First off: Congratulations on being honored! Sounds cool. Now, about that bar thing...

I remember a mental technique I used when I was an ex-smoker in bar where folks smoked (a trigger-rich environment, if you will). Just take the option off the table. Remember that only you have the choice to drink or not drink and no one, not friends or family or social convention, can strip you of that choice.

And if the environment really makes you nervous, stay for just a short period or take frequent trips outside for fresh air. Also, having an agenda could help--like, say, planning to talk to specific people for a certain amount of time...anything that makes you feel more in control of the situation. Oh, and nurse the heck out of the tonic and lime. I hope any of those suggestions help.

Btw, my big test is tomorrow as well. I'm heading to my old drinking grounds with some friends. You're definitely not alone; I'll be sending positive vibes your way