Notices

Class of April 2010

Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it's hard to live with all those jagged edges UBC - but I found, once we face them, and don't run away like we once did...once we start to deal with them they become a little less jagged edged day by day...

It can be hard - but you're not alone

We know its way better than the alternative - drinking just keeps you in the endless loop...stimulus, response, stimulus, response - no growth....the jagged edges can get ever sharper that way...

D
Old 04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndlessNight View Post
Hey AlbaStar, you pic looks just like my beautiful fluffy black cat. Is he a picture of your cat?

I am in this group also. My date is April 5th. Have been going well though had a massive craving tonight. Nearly collapsed and opened a bottle of wine though went for a drive instead. Am happily drinking tea and eating chocolate now. Am so pleased with myself that I got through the break.....
Great job on the choice you made

The pic's of my "special boy", who sadly died recently after a long slow struggle with cancer. He's very sorely missed, even though we've three other kitties and a dog, and will never lose his special place in my heart.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

April 9th for me. Doing ok.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome golfinmidwest.....

Congratulations for chooseing sobriety!
Hope your de tox is going smoothly.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. And congrats right back!
UBC: you struck a chord.

I have a juvie/adult record and that followed me around. (I am a woman)

Its been a tough one. When employers find out the nature of the record, because I was locked up for stabbing someone, most would politely turn me away.

I made it back into recovery. I found a support system. I lived in the day. I started to get faith. I fixed stuff. I owned stuff. I especially own the stuff I couldn't fix. Its still mine. I got chances when people saw how dedicated i was to turning my life around. In recovery-- I have owned food businesses. I have worked in the legal profession as a paralegal. It took a while to rebuild trust and it is possible.

The rough edges snag in recovery BUT they DO NOT HINDER. I believe if I made it out of my car where I was living at my last bottom. Got clean. Maintained a recovery network and started the slow journey....any one can do it. I stick a hand of encouragement out. I work hard to help others like me ....so keep your head high and you will get some negative responses...we all do. Feel the flame not shame and know that if you are rebuilding your life, that's all it is ...a brush of the flame of scorn from people you won't need around you anyway and keep on plugging away at recovery.

I got those lines in bold above from my dearly departed recovery counselor, John Scally. He was an awesome man. I gotta give him dues!!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Glad to be here but it has been a foggy road. Not sure where I am going or found a sense of purpose, yet. DOS 4-25-09

Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

bike4life.....Hello again and Welcome!

We share the same DOS ..except for the year.
April 25 has been working for me too!

Forward we go...side by side.....
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

A big hello to everyone here in the April group! My sobriety date has changed a few times, I've had a couple of relapses, and now my date is 3-28-10. However, I detoxed and got my first 11 or so days in inpatient treatment. I'm joining the April group because now I'm back out in the real world with all it's temptations and challenges.

I'm really looking forward to celebrating a sober Earth Day! It would be my first since at least 2004.

I'll probably have trouble falling asleep again tonight, so I'll use that time to read through this thread and see how everyone is doing.

My best wishes to you all!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

WhiteWave....

You are welcome here as a member of our April Class.
I too had false starts before I found my way into recovery.

Please check out this link...it has sleeping tipsthat might help

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Recovery Really Rocks...glad you are here....
Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello MaryRita,

Thanks for sharing your post. I was just wondering if you're going to do this on your own or if you plan to get some help (beside SR)?

Greetz,

Andi
Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi MaryRita, and .

Admitting the truth is a tremendous thing to do, and the first step on the journey to recovery. There's a wealth of wonderful friendly, supportive folks here and I'm sure that you'll get some great help from the community.

Re. your chat problems - it could be a problem with the Java setup on your machine though it's a guess. You could try going here java.com: Java + You and downloading a new copy to see if that helps; you might also trying uninstalling the previous version (see How do I uninstall Java on my Windows computer ?) and then installing a new copy.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks for joining us Mary rita....

I can't do Chat but please click on
the link/line below. Hope that is useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...om-update.html

Blessings to you and your family
as you find your way into sobreity
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Howdy folks,

I have enrolled in the class of April.
It's a good month, a month of rebirth and awakening. Spring came early to Michigan and I hope to spend a lot more time outside.
I was a daily drinker for the last 25 years. I started with a 6 pack of beer a day and never dropped below that. Lately its been 8-10 a day or more. I weigh 125#, so thats enough to get me in trouble.
I lost my job in December, my license in January. I won't get my license back until March of next year, so I dug quite a hole for myself. A hole that will be far harder to get out of if I continue to drink.
The physical WD hasn't been bad for me but emotionally I am a wreck. Panic attacks, paranoia, desperation.
I don't know how much posting I'll be doing but the reading has been great. There is wisdom here.

TJ
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

TravelingJack....

Good to see you here with us....Welcome!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Definitely in the Class

Still learning ALL of the conversations going on in this place. Hard for me to keep track of as I am not an avid forum/facebook kind of guy. That said, my date is April 7th this year and I could not be happier for making the decision. Regular beer binger for the last 19 years (although I put 18 in my newbie message, I did a recount!) Deetox was not bad for me due to my drinking pattern. Although I have to admit, this mental clarity is incredible! I have to pace myself and my conversations as I can't remember thinking this clearly in quite some time. My performance at work is definitely enhanced and my interactions with my wife and daughter are much improved. My patience has been a little shorter (go figure) but I have been very aware of that and tempering responses accordingly (my wife verified this one for me.) I know there will be rough days ahead, but this isn't one of them and for that I am thankful.
I haven't drawn in years and I actually free handed a large butterfly on my daughters play table this weekend that my wife is painting. So cool! So glad I woke up before these years passed me by. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but I am just so grateful that my time is now.
I will definitely be checking in. Stay strong Class of April 2010!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Beautifu day today, ....realized at the stop light, this is the first time in years I've felt almost normal , day 9. withdrawals seem to be gone THANK GOODNESS !
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaryRita View Post
Hi Andi,

I'm going to see a psychiatrist this Thursday. 23 years ago I had an accident and lost part of my leg. For two years I drank heavily, was very depressed and anxious. I went into a private rehab for ten weeks. My doctor and counsellors there said I was a situational drinker not an alcoholic but that I would always have to watch myself. Well as you can see I didn't and I became an alcoholic. There is no avoiding that conclusion. Like many alcoholics I didnt have a great childhood but neither of my parents were alcoholics. I spent too long blaming other people for my problems and now I have to realise that I am a grown woman and I make my choices not other people. I need to do something to get out of the habit of feeling like the victim. So Thursday I will see what the doctor says and suggests as the plan of action. This site is a god send though as I don't feel like I'm the only person who has made mistakes or is struggling with alcohol addiction. I was reading some of the articles yesterday about the effects of alcohol on the body and reading the initial stages I started craving a drink and then I realised that I am definitely an addict. Being an addict I need help from the resources available. I don't think I could do this on my own.
MaryRita,

I am definately reading a strong and smart person here, well underway to good things! I think what you have experienced through and after that accident must not have been easy indeed, I can't try to imgagine. But your determination to start looking at life from a different angle is awesome!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Haon.....
Welcome to our April group

You really seem to be off to a good start.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

topspin.....
You never have to de tox again
isn't that simply great?

Glad you feel better....
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good Start

I am, Carol. I can't help but feel the stars have aligned and the timing was perfect. I had a converstaion with my wife last night about how I am feeling. I told her how bad my drinking had become and she told me about knowing I was drinking on the way home. She asked if I really thought gum was masking that? I said, "Well, yeah. When you're drunk you think a lot of stupid things are hiding your condition."
She has been SO supportive and says she sees a very different person from the other times I've "quit." I have never felt stronger and know this is my new life. Temptation will come, I know. Heck, I've already thought about having a beer, but the difference is I don't. Then I go jump with my daughter on the trampoline, read a book, get on here, do some push ups, whatever it takes to get me through the moment. I now realize that that is what they are, moments. I decide whether or not they turn into hours of regrettable behavior that leads to feeling terrible and starting over. I'm done starting!
Thanks again to everyone here. This community is just what I needed to get me through. Knowing that I am not alone and that so many others understand exactly what I am dealing with helps me more than I would have thought possible.
Stay strong, folks! Make the little choices that have a huge impact!