View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Haon

Good Start

I am, Carol. I can't help but feel the stars have aligned and the timing was perfect. I had a converstaion with my wife last night about how I am feeling. I told her how bad my drinking had become and she told me about knowing I was drinking on the way home. She asked if I really thought gum was masking that? I said, "Well, yeah. When you're drunk you think a lot of stupid things are hiding your condition."
She has been SO supportive and says she sees a very different person from the other times I've "quit." I have never felt stronger and know this is my new life. Temptation will come, I know. Heck, I've already thought about having a beer, but the difference is I don't. Then I go jump with my daughter on the trampoline, read a book, get on here, do some push ups, whatever it takes to get me through the moment. I now realize that that is what they are, moments. I decide whether or not they turn into hours of regrettable behavior that leads to feeling terrible and starting over. I'm done starting!
Thanks again to everyone here. This community is just what I needed to get me through. Knowing that I am not alone and that so many others understand exactly what I am dealing with helps me more than I would have thought possible.
Stay strong, folks! Make the little choices that have a huge impact!