View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
FanofJoeMcQ

Thanks everyone. And congrats right back!
UBC: you struck a chord.

I have a juvie/adult record and that followed me around. (I am a woman)

Its been a tough one. When employers find out the nature of the record, because I was locked up for stabbing someone, most would politely turn me away.

I made it back into recovery. I found a support system. I lived in the day. I started to get faith. I fixed stuff. I owned stuff. I especially own the stuff I couldn't fix. Its still mine. I got chances when people saw how dedicated i was to turning my life around. In recovery-- I have owned food businesses. I have worked in the legal profession as a paralegal. It took a while to rebuild trust and it is possible.

The rough edges snag in recovery BUT they DO NOT HINDER. I believe if I made it out of my car where I was living at my last bottom. Got clean. Maintained a recovery network and started the slow journey....any one can do it. I stick a hand of encouragement out. I work hard to help others like me ....so keep your head high and you will get some negative responses...we all do. Feel the flame not shame and know that if you are rebuilding your life, that's all it is ...a brush of the flame of scorn from people you won't need around you anyway and keep on plugging away at recovery.

I got those lines in bold above from my dearly departed recovery counselor, John Scally. He was an awesome man. I gotta give him dues!!