View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Andi

Originally Posted by MaryRita View Post
Hi Andi,

I'm going to see a psychiatrist this Thursday. 23 years ago I had an accident and lost part of my leg. For two years I drank heavily, was very depressed and anxious. I went into a private rehab for ten weeks. My doctor and counsellors there said I was a situational drinker not an alcoholic but that I would always have to watch myself. Well as you can see I didn't and I became an alcoholic. There is no avoiding that conclusion. Like many alcoholics I didnt have a great childhood but neither of my parents were alcoholics. I spent too long blaming other people for my problems and now I have to realise that I am a grown woman and I make my choices not other people. I need to do something to get out of the habit of feeling like the victim. So Thursday I will see what the doctor says and suggests as the plan of action. This site is a god send though as I don't feel like I'm the only person who has made mistakes or is struggling with alcohol addiction. I was reading some of the articles yesterday about the effects of alcohol on the body and reading the initial stages I started craving a drink and then I realised that I am definitely an addict. Being an addict I need help from the resources available. I don't think I could do this on my own.
MaryRita,

I am definately reading a strong and smart person here, well underway to good things! I think what you have experienced through and after that accident must not have been easy indeed, I can't try to imgagine. But your determination to start looking at life from a different angle is awesome!!!