Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8

Old 12-25-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Xmas BTLover - I really hope you decide not to wait until Jan 1- why wait to restart your life?

D
Old 12-25-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good morning. Merry Christmas to you all!

Hi BT. I’m so glad you’re here 💕
Old 12-25-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hi BTLover! So glad you came back. We are here to support and cheer you on!

I had more to say but I can’t remember it. will try again tomorrow. For now, MERRRRRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 12-26-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Good morning. All I can say today is I am so grateful to be sober!!!! So many people have relapsed and it’s the same old story. It never gets better only worse!! I’m so grateful for our little group and all the support here. I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

BT again im so happy to hear from you and I’m glad you’re here
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi all! Whew, I made it through Christmas - it was a wild ride at times, but we pulled it off. Definitely some bright spots with my kids and nieces/nephew, and some struggles with my mom and feeling guilty that I'm not doing more to help the situation. More family fun is planned for today, so wish me luck...

BTLover, I'm so glad you checked in, and hi to everyone! More later!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Happy Christmas All! Apologies not much space to post whilst staying with family. Hope everyone doing well and enjoying time with family for those who celebrate.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Gosh it’s quiet—other than the return of BTLover! I too have been in the flurry of Xmas and family activity. Went brewery hopping last night. The first brewery had literally nothing to drink besides beer and water. I was totally annoyed. They gave me the tiniest little cup of water. So i walked across the road and got myself a coke and just brought that in. Like a full sugar caffeinated Coke. That made me feel a lot better. And it was just fun from there on out and I got to drive people from one place to the other without worrying about having drunk anything besides soda and then later coffee. Fully leaded coffee. I love that sobriety allows me to just enjoy the people (and sometimes the beverages and food) and that I can drink coffee pretty much any time I want! Well, more later. We are up early to travel back home and I’m sure it will be a scramble. Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Hi all! I spent the day with my mom yesterday, which was actually pretty fun. We shopped and had lunch and saw a movie, no in-depth conversations of course, but she is super pleasant and happy to do whatever. I wish there was more snow (or even colder weather) so we could go skiing, friends have offered us their house at one resort but the conditions aren't good. I may push to go anyway, just for a little getaway.

Numblady, good luck with your return trip! I'm glad you had fun brewery hopping, it continues to amaze me how well you've adapted to being the sole sober person among drinkers (including your husband), and in such alcohol-centric environments. At best, I feel like I would be annoyed and at worst, I would probably feel resentful, you know? I think that's part of the reason we haven't even made any plans for NYE (along with the fact that I seem to be incapable of planning ahead for anything these days!), I've never liked that "holiday" even when I was drinking...all the hype, pressure to do something awesome, and then having it fall short in some way. I'm still thinking of ways to enjoy time with my kids that my husband will also be OK with.

Lots to do/plan/decide for the last phase of the house construction today, we are expecting to wrap it up in late January and then get ready to move. The thought of moving makes me want to just donate the 90% of our stuff that has been sitting in boxes for 7 months, because clearly we don't need it that badly!

I hope everyone has a great day, wherever you are!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hey Palmer! I also pretty much hate NYE. It’s overrated and restaurants charge way too much money just like on Valentine’s Day. I will probably go to the party we went to last year but I really don’t think I’ll make midnight, much less 2 a.m. But it will be cool to be my own Uber driver. I kind of never get over the coolness of driving myself sober. Then on New Year’s Day it’s my/our tradition to host a “hangover potluck”. I’m kind of looking forward to seeing what it’s like without the focus on drinking in addition to all the other things I’ll have to pay attention to. Hope you find something suitable to all for your NYE! I can’t blame you on the moving dread. I haven’t moved since the summer of 2015 and we had a pretty small house. Never again!! Or at least not until I have purged several tons of stuff. Okay maybe not several tons. But a lot.

Travel was okay. We’re all kind of ready for a break from one another. But other than that not bad. I’m currently in a state of unhappiness because I really, really do not want to go to work but if I don’t do work today and over the remainder of the holiday I squander the rare opportunity to make progress and get to some of the larger things that I’ve been putting off...for the break. If I do work I’ll be sad that I can’t do the errands and life stuff I really need and want to do, and I know it would be good for my mind to have a break. On the other hand, there’s a rolling snowball at the top of a mountain in terms of all the stuff that has been put off until after the holidays (not just me; work and people in general), so if I don’t take the quiet while I’ve got it, the rest of January is going to be a you know what show. I mean, it will be either way but starting on solid ground always feels better to me than just coming in mid-storm. And the legislature convenes in less than two weeks so life promises to be particularly nuts. Maybe I’ll just pick a couple of four-hour blocks between now and when I go back to do a couple of projects versus trying to do them all. Or maybe I try to be as off as I can and resign myself to going back in 1/2. I had toyed with the idea of taking it off in honor of my sobriety date and desire to just do something for myself, but I think what I may do instead since my parents will be in town will be to just work a normal day but then go do something special for myself. Not sure what. Maybe Sunflower and I can go eat cake!

And still I wonder how much of the problem is just my desire to do too many things. The running to-do list and things I want to accomplish both at work and around the house are like a constant noise setting in my brain. I’ve talked about it before and PS you and everyone helped me to try and think about limiting to what’s important but I’m not very good at it.

I am not big on resolutions but with all this rattling around in my head I did form a thought I hadn’t had until my husband asked me if I had any resolutions. And that is by this time next year I would at least like to have an exit strategy from my job. Unless something changes radically I don’t always want to be in a place where any time off is digging myself into an even deeper hole of being behind. Where you can’t mess anything up, ever, but everyone’s always criticizing your agency anyhow.

Huh. Thought I was putting up a short post but got carried away.

How is everyone doing?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Also, several posts back I mentioned a thread I subscribed to and I described it wrong. It’s 100 small epiphanies in 1000 days of not drinking. Highly recommend. You should be able to just search it or I can figure out how to share if you are interested.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'm posting late today, despite reading here earlier. I feel like there used to be a lot to respond to, and now, not so much - which kind of leaves me to just comment on what's happening with me, and of course, always learning from my girl NL. I'm obsessed with your 1/2 sobriety date, and need you to meet up with Sunflower for cake! That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate.

I feel really down today, not sad exactly but just kind of restless and lethargic, like there are a lot of things I need to do but I can't muster the mental energy. I know part of this is caused by my super crappy diet lately, plus not drinking water and not exercising at all, aside from some halfhearted yoga. The only good news is that while I keep expecting my weight to increase, it really hasn't, but I know that I'm losing muscle tone. And mentally, unstructured time was never my friend before and is definitely not now. I guess we're planning to leave tomorrow for our ski trip despite the conditions, which will be fun and at least active, if nothing else! And we're having friends over tonight, which will require me to hustle a little bit (plus, we are getting on each others' nerves over here, so mixing in some new folks is a must).

Numblady, I LOVE that you're "planning to plan" an exit strategy from your job. The stakes are so high, which brings tons of pressure, but the rewards don't seem to balance out all of that life-consuming stress, which affects you to the point that you really can't enjoy much else.

I also love that the novelty of sober driving hasn't worn off, I've thought of that a few times too, like I can just pop out to the store or pick my kids up from evening activities without a second thought, and definitely without trying to pawn it off on my husband or worrying that alcohol was still in my system even if I didn't "feel" drunk at all. That's definitely one of the things we GET to do as sober people, along with feeling more comfortable in our own skin when we say no to things, which I still do quite a bit. Getting to do things is a big part of the gratitude I feel, and have been posting about in the bedtime gratitude thread. I think I will also start posting in the morning thread, just as a reminder of what I've gained in recovery, and a way to focus on the things I might otherwise take for granted.

I hope all are well! I go back and forth between feeling like I don't need to post in this thread much anymore, and not wanting to jinx my progress by scaling back the most important tool for getting this far. Still thinking about that one...
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Belated Merry Xmas everyone. We were away in a place with no internet access and it was lovely. I do wonder how much negative impact the information age has at times (though not while visiting here of course).

This time last year I was sneaking wines wherever I could at Christmas. If I am totally honest being sober didn’t make a family Christmas any easier. I love my family, but we rarely all get together and there are often tensions because of my son and a lack of understanding about his ways, The alcohol used to take the edge off that tension for me, so this time I had to work on not being too sensitive or defensive on his behalf.

There were no temptations to drink at all and there won’t be at New Year’s either, the one year anniversary is too close, nothing will stop me now. It is interesting how many people have asked if I will start drinking again after a year as if it is some kind of experiment that is almost over.

BTlover it is wonderful to see you back.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Yasssss!!! Cake on 1/2 NumbLady. Text me
Old 12-29-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Palmer you know I definitely want you to keep posting here but I like you miss the more active days and the back and forth. I wonder if there’s a way we can have both, like if we find an additional group to bolster our sweet but busy “home group” to borrow the AA term. Where are the gratitude threads? I’d like to check those out. Good luck with the travel and the trip!

Scotty, that sounds very stressful with your family. Glad you navigated it successfully. I worry I’ve ruined my children with their access to screens but unlike you I don’t seem to have the wherewithal to change much about it. I just worry.

Sunflower, yay!! More in text.

Yesterday ended up being a wonderful day. We sent the kids to camp and I skipped work altogether. To do what I’m not sure exactly but I just tried to let myself do what I wanted when I wanted for a day. I got my overdue car inspection (FAIL!! So there’s that...but at least I started the process and now they are going to try and fix my burned out tail light and restore functionality in one of my brake lights that is not working period). And just did a couple of the projects I need quiet for but can never do with the kids around. I decided I’d really regret not taking this day while I could. And that I can’t be too upset at all the male execs who make more than I do for less work when I willingly worry over everything and work so much. I do wish I could rely on people more. Like I don’t have a problem delegating but the number of times I have to follow up with people just to get stuff is really depressing. Grown professional adults with advanced degrees. Ugh. This line of thought is making me sad.

Went to a fun comedy show last night (following a wonderful dinner with husband where we fought about parenting...sigh) and thought I saw Sunflower. So some lady probably thinks I”m a lunatic because I was totally staring trying to discern whether it was her or not It’s like a sign we need to see each other. And have cake! Okay maybe there aren’t any signs about having cake but I will have gone a year without drinking. I don’t need a damn sign.

I am going to try and work out but I seem to have really wrenched a muscle in my back...from...sleeping. Like at what age did I cross this line where I injure myself by sleeping?! So annoying. But also kind of funny.

Have a great day one and all!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi all! Numblady, your day off sounds absolutely perfect and amazing. I can't even imagine how much you need some time to get organized after traveling over Christmas, and before the new year! Plus, I'm sure your kids had fun at camp, and hopefully engaged in non-screen activities, which as you mentioned has to be one of the biggest challenges we face as parents. I'm finding in recovery that sometimes, I have to be the grownup in my own life and just insist on what I need to find balance. Like everything, it's easier said than done.

The gratitude threads are in their own sub-forum called the Gratitude List: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/

Scotty, having people criticize your son when you are the person who fully understands his challenges must be super frustrating and annoying. At least you're sober, but I completely agree with you that dealing with family dynamics is still a struggle, sober or not. One thing I've found is that the event itself - family dinner or whatever - can be awkward, upsetting, etc., but it's easier to move on afterwards and not wallow, the way I did when I was drinking. Helps with resilience, maybe?

Sunflower, I hope you're hanging in there, friend!

Hi to Chase, Dee, NewChapter, and BTLover...hope all are well!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Well I’ve officially quit sugar. I finally feel secure enough in my sobriety to do this. I’ve lost a few pounds and I’ve got a bit more to go but mostly I just feel so crappy when I eat it and I can’t moderate. I’ve come to realize that I use sugar like I did alcohol so I’ve had to say goodbye to it. C’est la vie.

I feel like im starting a new chapter in my life. Alcohol really doesn’t factor into my thinking anymore. I’m really working on my emotional sobriety now. I still go to meetings as a reminder and also to help the newcomers. I like to give back.

My husband and I actually had a conversation the other day about heavy stuff and we didn’t fight. We really communicated. It was such a blessing. Two days of getting along. This is a huge deal!

Anyways I hope you all are doing ok. It’s so quiet here now.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

@ Sunflower you and I continue to be twins, I quit sugar today too! I’m not sure I am going to do it in an absolute way like alcohol, I may have the odd dessert here and there when dining out, but it is out of my house and boy the cravings have hit as bad as it was with alcohol.

The only thing I am finding is there is a sense of familiarity about the cravings and a hope that I have better tools in place to deal with them.

I was reading about how others miss when it was busier here and was reflecting on why I am here less. I went back and looked at my first posts (I often do this to reflect on where I was at the start of sobriety) this group is one of the main reasons I am sober almost a year later, but posting didn’t slow down for me because not drinking got easier, I think other things started to fill the drinking space and writing here was always an end of the evening reflection. With my no device in bed rule, coming here fell by the wayside and then I felt selfish just posting ‘my stuff’ and not commenting on others. I totally know I should not feel that way, but it’s there none the less.

So my other resolution apart from fighting the sugar demon is to post here more often, even if it is a flyby. We are a team and as many of us hit the one year sober mark, or who are restarting the commitment to sobriety, we continue to do this together.

PS the SV is louder than the AV!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great concept Scotty

PS the SV is louder than the AV!

D
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Wow, yay!! So great to hear from all of you!

Scotty and Sunflower, may the force be with you! I hear it is a lot like riding the alcohol urges so you CAN and WILL get through it. I’ve decided the next year for me has to be about work. About finding ways to disengage now and relying more on my deputy but planning my exit strategy. Just a few days where I don’t have the crushing volume of emails, meeting, and stress and I feel like a human. I don’t feel like a joint with no synovial fluid. Or a just a hollowed out shell. Or a worn down nub of something. I read articles. I have conversation to contribute with my husband. All the things that seem so insurmountable seem doable. Not all at once but I am so shelled by my job plus the kids that it’s like any additional thing feels like too much all over again. And the stress of having so many things I want and need to do but not being able to get to them is a stress of its own. I don’t have to continue to be a victim of the circumstances into which I’ve effectively placed myself. I know I’m going to get swallowed back up again soon but right now just thinking about drawing some kind of line in the sand and finding my way to a different road..it’s just exhilarating. I don’t have to feel half dead for the rest of my life. I know this sounds stupid but it’s taken some time to realize it. I’ve been wearing it like a badge of honor but it’s an albatross. Again. Bear with me because i’ll Be in and out of this mindset for a while but right now I’m pumped. Not sure how I’ll accomplish it and not take too big a hit in pay but I’ve got time to sort it out.

Palmer, just re-read your post and your line about being the grownup in my own life really resonates. I can’t expect my life to just hand me boundaries and care. And even though I know there are people who work even harder than I do and have less to show for it and complain less, it’s okay for me to make choices that will help not only my family (hopefully) but also even myself.

BTLover, Chase, it’s Saturday night in the January 2018 class. Come join the party!

Dee, happy new year if I don’t think to mention it. I always love reading your responses in Newcomers. I mean I love to read them anywhere but in the spirit of cultivating gratitude a la Palmer just wanted to mention it.

Good night my sweet, sweet friends! Thinking of you all.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words guys - Happy New Year

D