Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8

Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Rolling through like a tumbleweed here. Just saying hello and thanks for the chuckles etc of support about the sweets and my husband. I like the idea of using it as a teaching moment.

Palmer, yeah, listen to NC! That is good advice she gave.

Okay I am sleeepy and have 4 am ish wake up so bye bye and sleep tight fellow classmates!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

NL I will never cease to marvel at your motivation and drive - the only time I see 4am is if I have to catch a flight!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in on a sunny and cold morning. I had a good day yesterday eating-wise, I mostly stayed on track and then I got home from work during my "sweets witching hour" and there was a beautiful gift basket with chocolates, chocolate covered nuts and berries, etc. Normally I disrespect co-mingling fruit and chocolate, but these were really good and I had more than a couple. Luckily, I still felt in control and woke up this morning a full 2 pounds lighter than yesterday. It's a scale fluke, but I will most definitely take it.

NL, I was thinking of your husband when mine was having a few drinks by the fire the other night. He wasn't drunk, but he was being kind of annoying, making dumb proclamations about the kids and their homework, insisiting on quizzing them (he is normally not involved) and I thought, "I wonder if NL has to deal with this irritation every night?" I really hope not...

Really hoping for a good day of mindful (ish) eating and productivity. Hi to NC, Scotty, Sunflower, and Dee too!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Omg Palmer dumb proclamations is the perfect way to capture it! I don’t have to deal with it every night and it’s not always because of the drink but I get a lot of sweeping pronouncements about what the kids are or are not doing from my husband. Also, i completely love your description of disrespecting the mingling of fruit and chocolate (and echo your sentiment heartily!).

And thanks NC! I will say there is nothing to admire about my schedule after 8 p.m. at which point I am pretty much a heaping useless mess.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:50 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Went back to the gym yesterday and ran my first 5k since hurting my back. I kept it relatively simple (no hills and a steady pace of 10kmph with no sprints) but my back flared up a little afterwards. My husband has just bought this new ball roller thing that his physiotherapist recommended, so i gave it a go and OMG - the difference!! I woke up this morning and my back feels better than it has in two weeks! Hopefully it will make a full recovery soon.

Palmer: Fluke or no fluke, 2lbs is always worth celebrating! Well done :-) I love the 'sweets witching hour' reference as I can totally relate!

NL: I am pretty much a useless mess after 8pm as well - but I still don't make it up before 7.30am! haha

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Hi all! NewChapter, I'm so glad your back is feeling better, that's amazing about the ball roller! And NL, you're my hero both for going to bed so early and waking up at the crack of dawn!

I've been doing a bit better on the eating front, and have been able to retain mindfulness without becoming too strict, at least so far. My clothes are fitting a tiny bit better already, although I must also admit that I'm sitting here daydreaming about the chocolate I'm going to have after a potentially stressful meeting (an interview to see if we will be awarded a project). I also have a headache that could signal a looming illness, since everyone around me seems to be dropping like flies from the flu. Pooooor meeeee.

Sunflower and Scotty, hope you guys check in soon! Have a good day, all.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Congrats on the mindful eating, Palmer! That's so great about your clothes, I love that feeling! The first thing I notice when I stop eating my way mindlessly through cr@p is that I feel so much less bloated and my tummy just feels more normal. I hope that the meeting goes well and you can enjoy some guilt free chocolate in moderation thereafter! Hoping the headache doesn't devolve into illness..lots of people getting knocked out with flu etc. around me, too!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Ha all the talk of mindful eating and I got so hungry I went downstairs and got a piece of fried chicken and a handful of gummy bears. Seems like a reasonable dinner after a twelve hour day, right?

Really just stopping by to say hello! Stay healthy out there.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake of joining in the group exercise of riding without stirrups in my class last night and my back was definitely not that far along yet, so I seem to have set it back some. I took back my stirrups pretty soon after I felt the twinge and realised I had made an error in judgment, so I'm hoping it hasn't messed things up too badly. I've booked a hot yoga class for tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping that helps things along as it did last week!

NL: Too funny, I was fantasising about all kinds of bad foods last night!! I managed to restrict intake to one chocolate mallow tea cake, so I am pretty proud of myself!!

Palmer: How dod the meeting go in the end?

Hi to Dee, Scotty and Sunflower - hoping you guys pop by soon!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Just a pop in for me, work is insanely busy, my son is in a bad phase and I have visitors from out of time arriving in a couple of hours any my home is a disaster so mad cleaning and shoving things in cupboards ahead.

Great to hear about the intentional eating (gummi bears not withstanding). I’m still sugar free and am finding it easier and easier to resist. I can taste it in things too now, I had sushi yesterday and it tasted so sweet. The cravings and headaches were worse than alcohol when I gave it up, but it is the energy levels without it that are huge for me. My weight loss is now 10 kilos (22 pounds] and that is really helping too. Learning to quit alcoho has really helped me with the determination to get healthier, but a bit like quitting booze, it was getting to that first ‘day one’ that was so hard.

I’m due to have blood tests soon, I had high cholesterol and mild glucose intolerance as well as one elevated liver number so I am hoping there will be some change.

Sorry to hear about the back NC, riding sounds such a joy I hope you are literally back in the saddle soon.

Must run my vaccum cleaner awaits.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

lol visitors from out of town, not time!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:04 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know NZ is ahead of everywhere else timewise scotty but gee...

D
Old 03-08-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Dee, ha! Good one.

just sayjnf hello. Pecking on phone. More eventully! Hope you’re all well. Ok here. Annoyed we have to plan our lives around my husband’s drinking sometimes but ok overall.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Just a drive by for me - busy day! Hi to All, more tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Horse riding lesson this morning followed by a trek in the mountains with one of the other girls and her horse. Visiting my parents tonight for a family meal with my brother and his wife, also.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hi all! Scotty, I'm so sorry that you're in a rough phase with your son, that is so difficult. Luckily, you have a clear head with no alcohol or excessive sugar to destabilize your moods.

NC, have fun riding and dining with your family! That sounds perfect.

NL, so crazy that your husband's drinking determines the agenda. Hopefully he's been reasonable on the sugar front, because he is really pushing his luck.

As for me, I'm enjoying a nice relaxing day for once! Have a good one, everybody.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hey all! Hope all are well out there. Had a good day with my sis. We took it pretty easy at first and then went to this random rock/nature store. It was the day of some special sale so it was packed. Then more shopping, lunch and home. There were some really nice moments. Though not all of them. My daughter went into intense mode and my husband went to the place i hate with the strong margaritas (for brunch), came home, bragged about drinking 19 margaritas and not feeling it, and then passed out for close to 4 hours. Then got up for a bit only to be having a cocktail with a friend when he dropped off our son an hour or so later. Then a Martini at home. Then wine. I’ve been kind of unpleasant to him tonight but it’s just absurd to me for a fifty year old. Trying to remember that even people who want to quit struggle, and he doesn’t want to quit. So all i can do is keep my side of the street in order. But of course it gets old.

Scotty, sounds like you are in an intense stretch. I hope the company is enjoyable and not too taxing. I imagine it is extra stressful if things with your son are in a rough spot. I really am amazed at your dedication. I know i say it over and over but well at least I’m consistent?

NC hope the day was as nice as it sounds and that your back is doing better.

Palmer, see you tomorrow morning in grat pack!

Sunflower, Dee, hi and hope you are well!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Oh man, Numblady - your husband gets on my last nerve. I mean, on one hand, I guess it's a good reminder of the insanity you've left behind, but on the other hand, how annoying since he is supposed to be your partner and all. Hopefully you don't think I'm being overly glib, and I just want you to know that I have the deepest respect and sympathy for what you have to manage. I guess it's the downside of having clarity?

I had a nice day yesterday, but my husband was getting on my nerves too, he has a habit of asking people what they want, but if they don't want what he thinks they should want, he proceeds to try to convince them. Which is so silly, so I guess I should be happy that that's all I have to deal with right now.

Hopefully more later, have a great day guys!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Thanks PS. No, does not seem glib at all, and on my best days I just try to use his silliness to remember I literally never have to feel depleted because of alcohol ever again in my life. I never have to reek of booze or seek the hair of the dog. I just don’t drink. I think it’s more upsetting from the wife/partner aspect than from the reformed drinker perspective when one person checks out and wants to live like a college kid and kind of complains that he can’t.

I hope all are well. Texted Sunflower last week and didn’t hear back. I will follow up!

I am tired from a day of hard yoga then yard work. Went to a warm yoga class. I think that’s more my speed than the full bikram. I like how flexible it makes you, although this one we worked so hard I was pouring sweat to the point I was slipping on my mat. Guess it’s time for one of those yoga towels, if I’m going to keep doing it. Then I finally got this trellis up with the help of my very kind neighbor who took pity on me. Then replanted my bougainvillea. That may be a mistake since they are thorny and don’t seem to bloom well here but I figured I’d put them in the ground and see what happens. That’s really all you can do as a gardener I suppose!

Well hope everyone has a super day. I really hate the time change sometimes. It’s hard to fall asleep, and then hard to wake up!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Morning. I’m here. Just quiet.

Sunflower I didn’t get your text. Heading to Belize tomorrow with my husband so I am a little apprehensive. This is our first vacation alone since I got sober.