Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
I found, as with all addictions, the food is just the mask. The real issues are underneath and smoothed by the food. Get the food out of the way and the real work can start.
This ^^^^^!!!!

Food, Alcohol, Drugs, Gambling, Sex, Smoking, Even dysfunctional controlling behavior. They are all symptoms.

I have said before but will say again. IMO food issues are perhaps the hardest to overcome because unlike most of the other addictions on the list one can't just stop eating.

I hope anyone who happens to read this post has a great addiction free day.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while.....just curious has anyone attended OA?

I need more will power....especially now working 2nd shift....I've been eating fast food at night after work! Hoping to get back on a better work schedule but I know I'm just making excuses as well.....hope everyone is doing okay
HI Purplrks-
Yes, I have gone to several face to face meetings and 2 online meetings and just got a sponsor last week. I find it very helpful and wish I could go more often. I think it's worth checking out

Are you hungry when you are eating after your shift? I know that sometimes our bodies confuse tired with hungry. I used to never eat past 6 pm and now that I am working, I find I am hungry after work which can be as late as 9:30 pm. But I don't think it's real hunger.
I'm not sure how that works when you are working 2nd shift- is this a typical time for your body to be eating? Could you pack a meal for right after or right before you shift ends so you aren't eating when you leave work? How about a ready to drink protein shake? Sometimes I find if I fill up on protein first, my urge to eat unhealthy foods minimizes or goes away.
Hope you can find something that works for you.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
This ^^^^^!!!!

Food, Alcohol, Drugs, Gambling, Sex, Smoking, Even dysfunctional controlling behavior. They are all symptoms.

I have said before but will say again. IMO food issues are perhaps the hardest to overcome because unlike most of the other addictions on the list one can't just stop eating.

They really are the hardest. I didn't even use AA to get sober but here I am unable to stop eating sugar on my own. It's brutal.
I do believe there are emotional and spiritual issues behind food addiction but I also believe the physical part of it is very real. Some people eat junk because they are coping but others, like myself, have true food addiction which means our brains can't process sugar the way other people's brains can (like how we also can't process alcohol in the same way.) And on top of that, we are addicted- our brain is addicted because of the amount of sugar it has received over time. Studies are showing that sugar changes the pathways in the brain just like nicotine and alcohol does. Our body is looking for that dopamine hit it's used to getting.

So it's really a two part problem, just like alcohol. We must tackle the food and how we deal with the world on the inside.
So, so challenging but it is worth it.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Really missing Weev- has anyone heard from her? I know she was going on a retreat but I didn't realize it was this long.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
This ^^^^^!!!!

I very much agree, of all my addictions food is definitely the hardest. I think is because we basically have to "moderate".

I also find my food triggers change. Sometimes my body is fine with a food, then it suddenly becomes sensitive to it. So it takes constant reviewing of my Food Plan.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Really missing Weev- has anyone heard from her? I know she was going on a retreat but I didn't realize it was this long.
Oh.....I did NOT know that....I was going to call her....do you think I should? I am not really up for taking today.....but how long was she going for...
Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Good morning!!!

I’m back. Hope you all have been doing well. I’m starting a new eating program today that will kickstart fat burning mode. I’m committing to 30 days so I would like to post here to keep accountable.
I agree with all of you. Food addiction is the hardest for me to kick. My three issues are alcohol, food, and shopping. I’ve dealt with alcohol so now it’s on to food.
I am committing to posting here when I get a craving so be prepared 😄
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning!!!

I’m back. Hope you all have been doing well. I’m starting a new eating program today that will kickstart fat burning mode. I’m committing to 30 days so I would like to post here to keep accountable.
I agree with all of you. Food addiction is the hardest for me to kick. My three issues are alcohol, food, and shopping. I’ve dealt with alcohol so now it’s on to food.
I am committing to posting here when I get a craving so be prepared 😄
Good to see you.

My hand is up to shopping addiction too!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I am not doing well for those of you who don't know.
I am in the greatest pain of my life....how does anything hurt worse than losing your parents? Than being with your dad while he died? Than losing my beautiful Venus? How is it possible to feel this much pain?

My husband is gone guys. I can't go into more now. I have talked lots about it already.

And gone as in left, not dead, not yet anyway.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am in the greatest pain of my life....how does anything hurt worse than losing your parents? Than being with your dad while he died? Than losing my beautiful Venus? How is it possible to feel this much pain?

My husband is gone guys. I can't go into more now. I have talked lots about it already.

Thinking of you and sending comfort. Love Lee xx
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Closing on a nice day on my Food Plan.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Checking in for a calm healthy day.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Alarm went off at 4:45. I turned it off and reset it to 5:30.
Then I decided to just get the heck up!

Not going to let this week be like last week or the week before.
The chaos stops here.
The self love starts here.

I refuse to waste time being unhappy, depressed, and seeking comfort in foods that cause me suffering.
I commit to 24 hours of abstinence from my trigger foods. I know this week is going to be hard but it will be worth it.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Good morning!
Alarm went off at 4:45. I turned it off and reset it to 5:30.
Then I decided to just get the heck up!

Not going to let this week be like last week or the week before.
The chaos stops here.
The self love starts here.

I refuse to waste time being unhappy, depressed, and seeking comfort in foods that cause me suffering.
I commit to 24 hours of abstinence from my trigger foods. I know this week is going to be hard but it will be worth it.
Go for it. You can do this.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Go for it. You can do this.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

Oh my gosh. I don’t know much about your circumstances but to have your husband just disappear!! I’m so sorry for your pain 💕
Old 08-13-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

So I binged yesterday. Today is a new day 1. I will be kind to myself today.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
So I binged yesterday. Today is a new day 1. I will be kind to myself today.
Monday is a great day for fresh starts! You can do this...WE can do this! Treat yourself with the love today and if you need help, ask for it!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Closing on target with my Food Plan. Enjoyed the day.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Checking for a day of peace and enjoying my safe Food Plan.