Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
I have been in the grip of compulsive overeating for so many years that i couldn’t see the cause & effect of my choices. I have been eating three meals daily for >one month, & it has made a huge difference. About two weeks ago i had a very light lunch (soup), and i noticed that i started mindless snacking all afternoon. It is a small thing, but it was clear to me that i had not nourished my body earlier. There was a reason for my snacking. I have begun to recognize hunger, and i can distinguish it from craving. I have not had refined sugar for >one month. Noticed i was eating lots of fruit, especially mandarins, so i am not buying those anymore. I am not ready to have snacking foods. I buy a single serving of nuts, for example. It seems i have more restraint over less favorite foods. I can go through a jar of peanut butter in a day, but i can eat almond butter with restraint. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Hi Murrill- yes, this is all totally normal as we begin to discover what is and is not a safe food. If you were a sugar addict, it would be ideal to eat 2-3 solid meals with no snacking in between. And the fruit thing is so unique to the individual- I know for sugar addiction the diet that works best is low carb, high fat/ keto which does not allow for fruit. Even a handful of berries can derail some of us. But again that would be something you would figure out with time, like you are doing.

I am still trying to figure out my safe foods- dairy for example. I can limit my intake of feta cheese but if I buy string cheese or babybells I will eat up to 4 at a time, I crave the and I will even eat them in the car. So it's something I am looking at. Same with nuts- some I can eat in moderation and others I find I binge on. Certain foods like nuts have what's called a "hedonic" quality which makes it very hard to stop eating once we start, because of their high fat nature.

"Richard Lowe, professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia, says neuroimaging studies have shown that in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar or high salt food, areas of the brain related to pleasure “light up,” in a similar way to the brain changes seen in drug or alcohol addicts. The release of dopamine, a chemical strongly associated with the brain’s reward system, is also involved.

Ghrelin is a hormone normally produced by the stomach when the body needs energy, to stimulate feelings of hunger; but scientists have found it is also released in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar foods — even when the body does not need calories.

The latest studies, from Oregon Research Institute, indicate that with time, dopamine release in the presence of such foods gets stronger, but starts to decline when we actually consume them. In other words, we need more of these foods to get our “hit.”

My relationship with peanut butter has changed over the last decade or so. When I was younger (and used to restrict) I could also binge on peanut butter by the spoonful. Now I always have a jar at home and I have zero issues with it. As long as it is single ingredient peanut butter (just peanuts, no sugar) I am fine. Now if you gave me a jar of Jiffy, I would probably eat it until it was gone.

I think what you are doing is great- you are examining your foods and trying to figure out what works and doesn't work for you. I hear a really powerful statment on a podcast last week about safe foods: It went something like this;

If we cannot predict the outcome of what will happen when we start eating that food (mandarin oranges, for example) then it is not a safe food. I think of it like alcohol- sure maybe we had days where we could moderate but then we also had days where we were getting drunk. So alcohol had to go. Same with the food. Just because I can eat 1 sting cheese on Monday doesn't mean it's a safe food for me if I ate 4 in a row on Wednesday. See what I mean?

Have a wonderful day
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.
Cravings are super high today- I am off and it's Sunday. This is a huge trigger for me because my disease has convinced me for decades that we never start over on Sundays. That Sundays are free-for-alls and that Monday I can start again.

I have to push through each hour to make good choices today. This is going to be hard.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Sundays were always a big binge day for me too.

Taking it easy today, disturbed sleep tending to hubby so plan to nap later to catch up sleep. He is very poorly at present.

My Keto foods going along nicely.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hi Murrill- yes, this is all totally normal as we begin to discover what is and is not a safe food. If you were a sugar addict, it would be ideal to eat 2-3 solid meals with no snacking in between. And the fruit thing is so unique to the individual- I know for sugar addiction the diet that works best is low carb, high fat/ keto which does not allow for fruit. Even a handful of berries can derail some of us. But again that would be something you would figure out with time, like you are doing.

I am still trying to figure out my safe foods- dairy for example. I can limit my intake of feta cheese but if I buy string cheese or babybells I will eat up to 4 at a time, I crave the and I will even eat them in the car. So it's something I am looking at. Same with nuts- some I can eat in moderation and others I find I binge on. Certain foods like nuts have what's called a "hedonic" quality which makes it very hard to stop eating once we start, because of their high fat nature.

"Richard Lowe, professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia, says neuroimaging studies have shown that in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar or high salt food, areas of the brain related to pleasure “light up,” in a similar way to the brain changes seen in drug or alcohol addicts. The release of dopamine, a chemical strongly associated with the brain’s reward system, is also involved.

Ghrelin is a hormone normally produced by the stomach when the body needs energy, to stimulate feelings of hunger; but scientists have found it is also released in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar foods — even when the body does not need calories.

The latest studies, from Oregon Research Institute, indicate that with time, dopamine release in the presence of such foods gets stronger, but starts to decline when we actually consume them. In other words, we need more of these foods to get our “hit.”

My relationship with peanut butter has changed over the last decade or so. When I was younger (and used to restrict) I could also binge on peanut butter by the spoonful. Now I always have a jar at home and I have zero issues with it. As long as it is single ingredient peanut butter (just peanuts, no sugar) I am fine. Now if you gave me a jar of Jiffy, I would probably eat it until it was gone.

I think what you are doing is great- you are examining your foods and trying to figure out what works and doesn't work for you. I hear a really powerful statment on a podcast last week about safe foods: It went something like this;

If we cannot predict the outcome of what will happen when we start eating that food (mandarin oranges, for example) then it is not a safe food. I think of it like alcohol- sure maybe we had days where we could moderate but then we also had days where we were getting drunk. So alcohol had to go. Same with the food. Just because I can eat 1 sting cheese on Monday doesn't mean it's a safe food for me if I ate 4 in a row on Wednesday. See what I mean?

Have a wonderful day
This is very good information and exactly what I was seeking. Sugar: No question that it is a problem food. I past years when I stopped sugar for a while, I could return to having one cookie or one bite of cake--for a while. I quickly escalated. Cheese might be a problem, too, although I also can manage Feta. Other foods present a problem not because they set up cravings but because it is too easy to eat them mindlessly. Manadarin oranges are that kind of food. I've started using berries as my fruit. I have scheduled mid-afternoon and early evening snacks. I did not realize sugar addicts should not do that. I am not aware of cravings in response to wheat, but I know potato chips, corn chips, etc are out of the question.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Have a good day.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Sundays were always a big binge day for me too.

Taking it easy today, disturbed sleep tending to hubby so plan to nap later to catch up sleep. He is very poorly at present.

My Keto foods going along nicely.
I’m so sorry. Lack of sleep on top of all you have to do to care for your husband is a lot for one person. I wish you some rest later on and some comfort and support as always.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
This is very good information and exactly what I was seeking. Sugar: No question that it is a problem food. I past years when I stopped sugar for a while, I could return to having one cookie or one bite of cake--for a while. I quickly escalated. Cheese might be a problem, too, although I also can manage Feta. Other foods present a problem not because they set up cravings but because it is too easy to eat them mindlessly. Manadarin oranges are that kind of food. I've started using berries as my fruit. I have scheduled mid-afternoon and early evening snacks. I did not realize sugar addicts should not do that. I am not aware of cravings in response to wheat, but I know potato chips, corn chips, etc are out of the question.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Have a good day.
You are very welcome. I will share as much information as I can so I can help others. This disease is debilitating.

As for the berries it is something you will have to just work with. I am going off the information that Bitten Jonsson shares and she says that berries rarely work for sugar addicts. But Maybe it would work for you. You can try and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

I have fought several urges to binge and it’s o oh 9 am

About to do my spin class. It’s a brutal one. Hoping I will feel much better after I burn through those carbs.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Snowy morning.
Yesterday and pretty much all of last week were a food driven blur.
I can't do it anymore.
I texted the woman in OA I am supposed to contact and we are speaking later on today. I know my ego is fighting this so bad- it wants me to stay in the food. It wants me to stay sick. But just imagine how my life will be when I am 100% sober of all substances? I quit drugs 10 years ago and alcohol 21 months ago. It's time to step away from the last mind altering substance.

I'm so scared to let go.
But I don't have any other choice- I want to be free.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Snowy morning.
Yesterday and pretty much all of last week were a food driven blur.
I can't do it anymore.
I texted the woman in OA I am supposed to contact and we are speaking later on today. I know my ego is fighting this so bad- it wants me to stay in the food. It wants me to stay sick. But just imagine how my life will be when I am 100% sober of all substances? I quit drugs 10 years ago and alcohol 21 months ago. It's time to step away from the last mind altering substance.

I'm so scared to let go.
But I don't have any other choice- I want to be free.
I could have written those exact words, Sunflower. I was scared to let go of my last mind altering substance. Food was my first addiction, I added in others as I went along in life. It was the biggest and hardest to be willing to let go of. Has been in my life for 40 years.

I hear you. Sending you strength.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Good morning.

PeacefulWater I hope you’re able to take some time for yourself today 💕

sunflower let us know how your meeting with the oa woman goes. I totally understand not wanting to let go of the last addiction. It’s scary
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Good morning my friends- I'd love to know how you are doing with your food plan Sunflower- and Murrill, how are you feeling without the fruit?

I talked to the woman in OA last night. I am starting to sense the feel of this group is very rigid and not warm and fuzzy which I totally understand, but it's a bit hard to get used to. I guess I wanted someone to be compassionate and instead the overall feel is one of "we have all the answers and if you want to recover, you have to do everything we say."

Listen, they obviously know what they are doing- some of these women have decades in recovery- what I wouldn't give to be in that place too. The hardest thing for me right now is letting go of my ego who wants to scream, "I already know all of this- I am not a newbie, I know that I am a sugar addict and what that means for my body."

When I told her I can stop but I cannot stay stopped she said it's 1 of 2 problems: I am either still eating foods that I am "allergic" to and I don't know it, or I have not really surrendered to step 1.

This brings up tons of emotions for me.
Step 1- I absolutely know in my heart of hearts that I am powerless over sugar and refined carbohydrates in addition to other highly palatable foods. I am a food/sugar addict. There is no way around this.

As for the food, I am in a state of panic. I am pretty sure she is going to have me take away dairy and nuts. What does that leave me with as a vegetarian? Leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables, tofu and tempeh, eggs and seeds. This makes me feel that grief all over again. Is the point of recovery to eliminate all foods that we enjoy? There are days when the thought of eating an egg makes me want to vomit. Other days I can do it. But I don't love eggs- I just know my body needs them.

I am calling her back today with a list of all the foods I have "enjoyed and tried to control." So in other words, food is not to be enjoyed? I'm so confused. My disease is fighting me so badly on this.

I am in a state of panic all over again. Does that mean I really have not done step 1? This is so confusing.

Any input would be helpful- sorry for the long post.
It's 6:34 and raining outside on top of the snow we got last night. I have a feeling schools will be closed. I am feeling awful from the carbs I ate last night and all I want is to get through day 1. I did great until I got home and saw a half eaten sandwich on the table and another drug food. It's everywhere in this damn house. How will I ever stop if these foods are always in front of me?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good morning ☀️

Sunflower your post is so overwhelming. Can you intuitively tell what foods trigger you? Remember everything this woman tells you is a suggestion. It might not be right for you. She might not be right for you. I know you can do this!! 💕

I am eating every 2-3 hours. 5-6 small meals a day. That’s what works for me. I stay away from anything white and all bread. I have so much energy, I sleep better, and I’ve lost some fat. Praying every day that I stay with it. One day at a time.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

]

The comedy show was fun- we saw Jim Gaffigan and I had planned this night months ago so it was nice to see it come alive. Having said that, after the tickets (we were in the 10th row), parking, babysitters and food we ordered for the kids we spent way more money than I would have liked. I'm not sure it was worth it. I laughed, but I didn't laugh out loud as much as I would have liked. And there was zero connection between my husband and I. He enjoyed it- he thanked me and said he had a good time and that he loves me. I feel like when he says things like that he is expecting me to say it back and I did not at first (I was at work when he texted me ) and then he made a joke about how I didn't respond and so I know he was hurt. And then I told him I loved him just to make him feel better. But I don't think those are words I should just throw out there.

I think I would be more comfortable just co-parenting and living together at this point and trying to be friends. I expressed this concept a while back but I guess he didn't understand. More than anything I don't want him to have any expectations from me other than respect and kindness. If he says "I love you" that should be his choice but he shouldn't be saying it and expecting to hear it back- does that make sense? And how would I tell him that without hurting his feelings? This is all so confusing.
Hi.....sorry to have missed a couple of days

I hear you love....if I may respond.

I have had this discussion big-time, and I did hurt someone's feelings. But I also feel it should be something you volunteer because you choose to, rather than because someone needs to hear it.

Maybe you can sit down and have the conversation about possibly co-parenting and being friends rather than intimate partners. He is going to have to hear you sooner or later....

Love you sweetheart. ♥♥
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Sunny....I wish I could help, but my way of dealing with all of this is very different.

However....I do not think taking away nuts and dairy is a good idea. I am hoping this group can help you....really....do you think that even though they are not warm and fuzzy it might be worth trying it their way for a bit? Their way is the AA program....almost the same anyway, and it works. And then there is the saying: take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Good morning murrill and Sunflower and PW s
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hello all I am going along well. Hubby very poorly but I am enjoying quiet time with him. Just back from an hour of Yoga. Yin Yoga. My favourite. Feeling all relaxed and floatie. Sticking with my lovely Keto foods. Zero cravings.

SunFlowerLife, my sponsor is not warm and fuzzy. If he was, I would trample all over him and be drinking/overeating/whatever! Some of us need tough guidance or we manipulate our way back to our addiction.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Good morning, all,
Yesterday was awful, and I am not sure I have recovered. I do some contract work for the Federal gov't, and we are just gearing up after the end of the shutdown. My anxiety kicked in early as there was a snafu when I tried to get onto the military base. That took an hour--enough time for anxiety to begin to begin. I entered the workplace and, before I could catch my breath they brought people in to see me. I never did collect my breath. I took something to eat so I could manage hunger and blood sugar, but I had only about 10 minutes to wolf down a cup of yogurt. It was chaos all around. I cried all the way home. The good news is that I never considered having sugar or binge eating, but I know that I set into play some of my unhealthy habits. It is 10:41 AM, and I still have not eaten today. Not a good thing for me.
I'm not sure where I left off with my food plans, etc. I did not buy any more mandarin oranges, but I am having blueberries at breakfast. I don't feel compelled to binge on those. I'm trying to list foods that are problematic. Sugar & sugar substitutes: No doubt. Beyond that, I am not sure. Cheese? Maybe. Chips? Almost certainly yes. Peanut butter? Yes, but I'm okay with almond butter. A single serve package of pistachios does not lead to craving, but I know I could eat through a large bag if I brought it home.
Like many of you on this thread, I am a recovered alcoholic. Abstinence is a pretty simple concept with regard to drinking. It takes on a new meaning where food is concerned, and I'm still trying to figure it out. I think I need a mid-afternoon snack to manage blood sugar, and the early evening snack sort of puts a lid on the day. It is my shut-down meal. I'm eating regular meals without cravings so far. More will be revealed. Thanks for listening and including me. Hope you all love yourselves today.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

See, for me....as an alcoholic/addict all of my life, it is all the same....that is why I need to leave the food science of this to all of you and just be supportive.

So how does that work for me food-wise? It means I aways plan the day's food and make sure all of the healthy food we eat is fresh and available. I understand how awful that must have felt yesterday....the way I deal with this is to make sandwiches and healthy snacks for work and they are with me or Nick (I am not working atm)....wherever we go I make sandwiches in fact. Because what if I can't find anything I can eat? Or like you yesterday there is literally no time....you can eat a sandwich or fruit or whatever is good food for you in the car if need be.

I feel like it should be thanks for including me because I am mostly here to support....probably not really enough help to contribute.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Good morning Sunflower and Venus-
I am feeling really good about things and like you said Suze, I am going to give this a shot, even if I am terrified and my ego is fighting me. I want what they have and I can't say I tried it if I don't actually commit to the program.

And my gosh, these women take time out of their day to give their services and knowledge to a total stranger- how amazing is that?

We talked about my food list for about 45 minutes. And I learned that it's not just sugar that is the problem, it's salt and fat. In all my years learning about nutrition I never ONCE thought about the fact that diary is high in sodium. I just looked at my cottage cheese and there is almost 500 mgs in a serving.

So, I basically need to rethink some of my snack foods like nuts. I am eliminating pistachios and almonds since I binge on those and keeping a close eye on the macadamias (she told me to experiment with these.) She recommends eliminating cheese which I binge on and is uncertain of yogurt but I can try it. My main concern is getting 90 grams a day of protein as a vegetarian. If I don't get my protein, I am ravenous. I already drink one protein shake a day and the yogurt was helping me with my one other meal at least.

It's all making more sense now. I thought it was just about the sugar but there is so much more to it. Another thing I need to drop is the stevia which means coffee is gone for now since I won't drink it unsweetened. I am ok with this- I mean it's the whole reason I bought an automatic tea maker for Xmas- so I could ditch the sweetened coffee. Of course, I have yet to figure out how to use the timer so I will have to do that tonight.

I am having an awful snow day at home with the kids. I have cleaned the entire upstairs (vaccuumed each room, including my husband's and mopped- also cleaned my bathroom.) The kids are so bored they are fighting non-stop and I've had earplugs in since the morning because the sound is just too much for me.

Luckily my husband gets home at 2:30 and I will leave for the post office and then the gym. I wish I could get out of here now. They are too much for me and I am in a rotten mood. I know this is because of the sugar/carbs I've been eating. It's not their fault, it's 100% mine.

Okay, off to shower and try to get them to stop fighting. I just want to feel better than this.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

So like many people I never knew I had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking. Suddenly my eating nearly doubled and my sweet consumption was through the roof.

This was last year when I quit six months. I gained like ten pounds, sometimes scratching my head when everyone talked about weight loss and sobriety. Lol

In fact my blood pressure has been UP more than ever with sobriety under my belt and I’m inclined to think there are other things at play such as sugar and caffeine.

I am literally sitting here in the doctors office as I type this, waiting for him. It’s an annual ohysical but I want to ask him about these lousy palpitations I have had for many months, even with six weeks of sobriety.

Caffeine and sugar? Maybe. I only hope I haven’t don’t permanent damage of some sort to my heart.

Anyways I’m happy to discover this thread. Yet one more amazing reassures feom SR.