Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Goodnight Class. Will catch up in the morning. Sleep sober all!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

A couple of night owls still up then......

Early afternoon here....Friday afternoon. Warm and hazy, all current issues sorted work wise....all triggers good to go.
Got to take some of my own advice here. Lately, the urge has been kicking back in. This is a stage I've got push through. Just keep going.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Meow

Badger is an hour behind me so it was still a reasonable time for him to post last night. lol

I hear ya on the thoughts. Doing so well, feeling so good, the "I can start to moderate now" thoughts are fairly consistent. I keep using logic on myself but they still keep coming back.

Re warm and hazy - it snowed here yesterday! Ugh! Nasty, wet, cold rain and snow and wind. In April. Blah.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

....I get into the calculations of 'only on the weekends'.....sure you know that idea. Weekends are hardest bit. This afternoon at 3pm knew it'd be ok once it was 6. Just white knuckle that bit of the day and the rest will be ok.
Then start and think if this is gonna be the new normal.....
Have to give it time to get better I guess.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

What seems to help me is the saying "play the tape forward". As much as I would like to drink this weekend, I know it will lead me right back to ground zero. I am sick of drinking too much and worrying about my health. Also, I have run too many experiments and I know I can't moderate, it wouldn't be any different this time. It could even be worse this time. Ok, I am ready to enjoy the day without drinking!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Meow

Good reminder. Four months ago I was having pains in my right back, worrying about my health, yet still filling those wine glasses. In what universe is that smart behavior?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Many stages to go through....starting to get towards some new ones I think.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I was able to find another SMART meeting to go to last night. (Didn't have to commit a felony either, so that was a good thing) Which was really good, but have a question for you guys.... I was at the meeting last night, and someone that works for the same company I do walked in. I don't directly work with them, but I see them around the office building quite a bit. It took me a little by surprise, as this was the first time this has happened to me. I wasn't sure what to do, or say, so I just really didn't make eye contact with them, didn't say anything, just kind of went on with the meeting as if it were normal. It was just an awkward feeling, and I'm not sure how to approach the situation going forward, since I would like to keep going to those meetings (this one was even better than the last), but I am confused about the whole situation. Any advice?

Dis - Staying sober, nice work!
Can - 60 days!!! It was good that you were able to push through the work stress as well. I think every time we get through those, it just affirms that we can in fact live a "normal" life, and hopefully even a better one without having to rely on drinking.
Viper - Sorry you are having car issues still. Where are you planning on moving to? (out of your current country)
Retired - Have a blast at the Blues Festival. I had to laugh at Axe - "get buzzed on the blues, not on the booze."
Rascal - Nice work on 65 days. Seeing you guys make it past the 60 day mark is making me even more determined to want to get there again. Thank you.
Purple - I am at the point you are right now, and it normally happens around now, that yes "moderation" seems like a great idea. But I just have to keep reminding myself that I have said that hundreds of times, and it always turned out the same. And you were up pretty late on a school night.

Hope everyone is pushing through, and even if you are struggling , or even fallen off the horse, we are still in this together. Have a great start to another Sober Weekend!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Badger I understand your awkward feeling in that situation completely. The only thing I would say is that other person is probably there for the same reason you are and there is a good chance they felt similar to you. I'm guessing if you choose to go back to that meeting and you continue to see them that eventually the awkwardness will disappear either because you get used to it or because a conversation is struck.
I am getting lots of the "I sure feel good now lets have a drink" thoughts too. It sure helps being able to come here and read others going through the same stuff. Yesterday I pulled up some of my old posts to help remind me as well.
Happy Weekend Everyone
Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post

Think about drinking still.....but much more of a habitual response to the circumstances of the moment than it is a physical craving. I try not to struggle too much with the thoughts of drinking, but just kind of put them aside for the moment....just postpone acting on it, and it passes. Hopefully, getting better at it. Feel a lot calmer.
This is exactly how I'm feeling too.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Day 45

Not feeling well the last few days. Haven't been exercising, going to meeting, chores or anything. Just working. Felt nausea most of this morning.

Well I gave myself until this weekend to mope. Tomorrow I have to get back on the reality train, keep doing the things I need to be doing to stay sober. Keep physically and mentally active. Goto to meeting and try to be social. Work on having faith in a higher power.

Thanks again everyone for thinking and praying for me. Everyday is a new day, just because you did something yesterday, doesn't mean you have to do it again today.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober weekend guys

D
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
What you making with the woodwork rascal?
I have an occasional side-hustle making mantel clocks, which I sell on etsy. Craftsman/Mission style, not too large generally though I have made a couple pendulum clocks 20"+ in height.

Working with wood is something I come back to a lot. The day job involves a desk and a computer, so making something tactile using tools is therapeutic.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your weekend plans sound good Dis.

D
Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Badger, that person from work feels just like you, and it's a secret society, so that's that. At least in terms of AA.

So the car is at the shop. It will almost definately be totally finished tomorrow. It's a mixed feeling because between that money and the money I spent on a travel camera (stupid) plus the money I have saved, I'd be very well set up for travel.

I got my motorcycle license last fall and I'd love to get a cheap little on/off road bike to get my chops down and have a hobby. I'd love to be able to work on it myself. Something I can ride to nearby trails and blaze around on. I can sell something else I have I guess. Then I'd be ready for a real bike if the time came.

Right now I need to not drink. I was exhausted a felt sick and I still felt like drinking today.

Just checking in. Talk tomorrow.

V
Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Hi checking in.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Dissonant, you are so right regarding a simple fact in life as well as sobriety. Everyday is a new day and if we get off track a bit one day, we can get back on track the next and keep moving forward.
I am still learning how to restart my day when things don't seem to be going so great. Whether it be due to my own doings, or lack thereof, or to just the everyday occurrences of life. #@!$ happens, but thank God, I don't have to drink over it.
Rascal, its so cool you have the woodworking to turn to on the side and yes it is therapeutic. What a great feeling to have created something from scratch and with your own hands! It must also be rewarding to sell as you've not only made some money, but in the thought that you made someone happy in the process.
Badger, I started a job 7 weeks ago and found out my supervisor has been sober from alcohol and drugs for the past 9 years. When I saw him walk into a meeting I felt totally at ease. Only you will know whether seeing your co-worker at a meeting will be a positive or a negative for you or not. For me, my foreman was open about his recovery and its cool to know he supports my recovery and has been through what I've been through. We don't talk recovery on the job but I do feel some validation and am grateful for that.
Viperdale, I hear from motorcycle riders that being out on the road with your wheels to the asphalt is such a freeing thing. In my area, there's a group of sober riders who periodically take trips together to go riding all over the state. I hope you enjoy your bike when you get it and will it be a chopper?
My sobriety date is 2/8/17. I did not know about this group and do not really any of you, but would like to. The concept of getting sober in the same month and in the same year as other folks feels special and unique To my soul. Hope everybody has a fantastic and sober day!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome stellar

D
Old 04-08-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi Steller - welcome to the group!

I have the Symphony again tonight. Don't really want to go. Would rather be out golfing with my son, who just left to play some twilight.

I'm just really in a stuck place this week. Zero weight loss. I'm tired of dieting. Tired of not allowing myself to eat (and drink, to be honest) anything that I want. It's like I need a vacation from my lifestyle change.

Sigh.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hang in there PC you've been doing so well! I think weight loss might be a bigger challenge than staying sober at least for me anyways. I have not been very strict dieting lately but when I do go for something less than healthy I have been able to limit the portions to a healthier amount. It has made eating better a little easier. Hopefully the symphony is better than you expect.
Off to watch the UFC tonight. Take care everyone