Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Vipe - ride it out. Treat your mental health like any other ailment - treat it hard and often and don't cheat!

I'm happy to report a hangover free morning and a decent night of sleep. Step one is complete. I promised to come back Sunday with good news and I still intend to keep that promise.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

My biggest starting gate hurdle is finding a way to make my own money. I need to get away from my nutjob father and his nutjob ideas. He pulls the rug out from under me every time I'm about to launch. With my own money, that I can make online or remotely from any location I can move around and answer to no one. People do it with Programming, web site building, and a zillion other things. I really have no idea how to get into a work world I've never been in.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hang tough Viper. Keep pushing forward because you already know the path behind is one you are not fond of. Congrats axe keep fighting. Dau the only thing to figure out is if she really needs you or if she needs a drinking buddy. I realize it feels way more complex but it is something to keep in mind. My work is just starting to calm down a bit however the wife and I have decided to try to market the house as soon as we can which means a ton of work at home to get done. We are hoping to be able to downsize homes as we will have a 2nd in college in the fall. Checking my calendar I see today is 60 days for me. Felt kinda crappy but very happy about that number. Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Day 50

Feeling a little bit better than ok. Work has been going alot better since I've been sober, although I'm not working ad many hours. But I'm more productive and tolerant of the people I work with.

Another thing I've noticed is that I only have to take my trash bins to the curb once a month, instead of once a week. I feel like captain planet, haha.

Not super motivated, but doing well. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Vipe - do you code? Sounds like you want freelance coding or dev work. Am I correct?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 Nextime and congrats on 50 Dis!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hangin' tough. Already less crazy, and a bit more energy even though I came home directly after morning coffee shop and oatmeal and crawled into bed for 2 hours.

The repair shop with my car... well I picked it up the other day to a screeching in the steering, brought it back 2 days later and the steering pump is blown. Had it replaced with a remanfactured one. On turning the wheel at a stand still or slow speed, it's incredibly hard to turn. Sooooo now it's gotta go back. This was such a stressful event and so much money to begin with. Anyway the mechanic texted and said to go to his alignment guy first and bring it back and he'd fix it. I did that today after he texted. Hopefully this will all be over soon.

I just watched a new episode of Nature on Public Television. Wildlife of Puerto Rico. OMG. Parrots, turtles, etc. The beaches. Paradise. Nothing stopping me from going there. I'm a US CItizen. I can stay there forever.

Well I'm having some cookies and I'm going to flip the channels.

Unless I want to post from bed, talk tomorrow.

-V
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi all. Another day done. Made a very nice chicken noodle for soup in my Instant Pot tonight. May try making yogurt in it this weekend.

Hope everyone keeps on truckin' (blast from the past lol) in the right direction!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Day 51

Hanging in there, 3 day weekend, woohoo. Tomorrow is going to be yardwork all day, I thinks it's the only day that it's not going to rain. Then hopefully spring cleaning sat/sun, have cobwebs on the ceilings in every room, ugh. Swab the decks. Fun...fun...

Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Checking in. Been a rough one. I listened to my friend beg for help on my phone last night and today, and I really don't know what to do. Also I had a pretty good day until I got home at 3:30 and just crashed for 1.5 hours. Gosh. Still going.

Maybe I'll post later before bed.

V
Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Just keep on going Vipe.
Are you the only contact this person has.....its not a burden you can share or split with anyone else?

Easter long weekend. Like four Sundays in a row for me. Not so great, days just a bit too quiet. Have to get real busy and just ignore out the door.

Today is my Day 67. A milestone of sorts in that I fell off at this point last time I was sober. So, get through today and its into new territory.

Sober holidays everybody.

Later
Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new milestone, Canguy!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vipe - I had a relationship much like yours once.

I tied myself in knots and hurt myself trying to fix things.

By the end, when my friend was begging me for help, I had to accept I couldn't help her and that she needed more help than I was capable of giving.

There's no disgrace in that.

D
Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestones guys - awesome
Have a great Easter everyone

D
Old 04-13-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Meow

Way to go, Canguy!!!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thanks PC, Dee, Retired

Further I go.....harder it gets right now. Think about drinking often and these quiet holiday afternoons are a hard bit.

More green tea then......
Old 04-13-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

PurpleCat, I didn't know yogurt could be homemade. Makes sense, I guess -- I've made mayonnaise, and butter is doable.

Good to hear of milestones -- even if they come with baggage, it's still progress. I've been reading some of the newcomers threads to remind me how things not all that long ago.

I heard on a podcast a few nights ago how memories become less accurate the more they're called up. Like how each time you remember something, it becomes corrupted a bit. Or, it becomes idealized. The podcast went into the science of it all -- mice, blue squares, electroshock, etc. Me, I don't remember the night sweats, the weird poop, the puffiness, the shaky hands, the anxiety, I just remember the good feeling.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hi kids,

Yes I am really one of the only contacts she has. At least I'm the only one who really gets it. And we were so close. Like 2 peas in a pod for 5 years. She's such a wonderful person. This is brutal. Dee is so right about there being nothing I can do. When I put her out of my mind I start picturing MY future.

Last night I found a cheap volunteer abroad organization with things all over the world. Africa, South America etc. It's a little frustrating that to go work at an animal orphanage they want qualifications like being a Vet Tech, veterinary experience, 3 years of web design, or something. I mean, I'm paying *them*. I'm sure I can handle it. I guess that's where the expensive programs come in. $5000 for 2 months at an animal orphanage but then I have experience and a letter of recommendation. So screwed up that we so many rich kids and retirees that you need to pay to volunteer and have a ton of experience to get in. It's hip now. I've wanted to do this 15 years ago. Prices were 1/4 what they are now. There's a way around it. For sure.

Ok working on 4 I think. Let's see if I can make it without a nap.

V
Old 04-14-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Off we go.....Saturday morning.

Novelty and relaxed bliss of waking up, rested and without a hangover , never lessens. Especially Saturday mornings.....

Usual Sat morning, coffee, read newspaper to see what's happened...clean up kitchen and get into it. Learning a new computer prog...so work through a bit of that after breakfast.

Grey Easter weekend.....Sat morning ok, but the long quiet afternoons are the harder bit.

Take care all, its just a quiet cruise through a sober weekend.....

Later
Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Sober Day # 69 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Class,
Hope you are all well.
Had a very upsetting conversation with a family member today. For the first time in a long long time I was able to see clearly how dysfunctional our relationship has been.
Also, hubby is out tonight, so I am home alone and upset.
My very first thought was that I wanted a glass of wine.
Isn't that something? That devious AV----always waiting for a moment to sneak in! I didn't drink though.
I don't drink.