Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Purple Cat - doing well. You might remember that my liver enzymes are up. I have Rx for a Hepatitis test, another liver test blood draw, and an ultrasound. I want to have some time to heal and normalize before I take them, but I will take them.

How about we agree to complete sobriety, no exceptions, until we get a clean bill of health? Then we can take it from there (but remembering how we got unhealthy, and what we did to reverse it). If I can get back to normal, I am going to be grateful for my health and never take it for granted again.

And that means not drinking until I get a DAMN good reason to change my mind. Those reasons are going to get fewer and fewer over time. I can't even think of one now
Old 03-24-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sober369,

Congrats on surviving your business trip. I don't miss those at all!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

Listen, even if my friend has 'terminal cancer,' I can't handle this. Out of sight out of mind. I might feel guilty, but I'd like to be at a point where I just DON'T CARE.

I'm looking into a couple of things today.

I going to remain here. Thanks

Vipe
Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had a great mini revelation this morning. It might help anyone who has slipped stay positive.

While it's a bummer that This past Sunday I couldn't say that I was on day 7, but that I had slipped, I took a look at the bigger picture. In the last 12 days, I only had 2 drinking days. If I view that as a 10-2 record, all of a sudden, I feel much more positive. Before I sought change in my life, that could easily have been 0-12 or 2-10!

Now, do I let 10-2 make me feel like I could afford another cheat day? Nope. I still want to increase my streak and my winning percentage! I want to win my first weekend in a while. I want to win two weekends in a row. I want to challenge myself to a month, to 100.

I hope this is able to help anyone that finds the road a little bumpy. Don't get discouraged. Count those little victories and keep trying to grow them!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sober Day # 48 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Class,

Still standing strong.

Sorry I was so swamped with work for the last few days that I didn't have a moment to come here. Am trying to catch up with what's going on with you all now.

Sober369, I take my hat off to you that you stood strong during the trip. You have crossed a big hurdle! I am proud of you!

RetiredGuy, Canguy ,Disonent, PC, Rascal, and everyone else here
(sorry if I forgot anyone) who is standing strong

Axeman & Viper---Hang in there. You can do it. I am proud of both of you that you keep getting right back on the horse right away.

Viper, Remember the idea about putting your own oxygen mask on first before helping someone else to put their's on. If your friend was not so deep in her own illness that she is not thinking clearly, I am sure she would WANT you to take care of yourself, because that is what we wish for friends that we love. So give yourself permission to take care of yourself first.

Axeman, that is a good mind trick. When I think about it, I have been sober for more than half of the past 10 years. It helps to look at it that way.
Also, these 2 threads have really helped me:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...95-dhamma.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...king-more.html
I Don't Drink Because It Doesn't Make Me Feel Good
As someone commented about one of them, both of these^^^threads are about thinking about sobriety as an aspect of enhancing consciousness, rather than giving something up.

Well it's Friday and for the first time I am not dreading the weekend. I already have plans for both tonight and tomorrow night to keep me busy.
Plus, I plan to spend some time here this weekend.

Hope you all have a good and sober weekend.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Meow

I loved the blog that was posted in your second thread link.

And Axe - it's a deal. Our livers will love us!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 31

Feeling good. I've began to notice a more calm, serene mindset in myself this time around, compared to other times I've tried to quit drinking. Last summer I was able to stay sober for around 40 days, but it was clearly, closely associated with a constant feeling of anxiety and nervousness. Really, I've felt that way daily. But this time, I feel different. Like I have a faith that it's going to be ok.
Trying to think of what has been different this time. Before I committed to sobriety I looked into buddhist meditation, so I had something to retreat to when I hit rough patches. I'm not a religious person. So I needed something else to rely on for faith, of a sort.
I've gone to meetings instead of just thinking about going to meetings. I'm not super active, but I'm going, it's a start. I need to be more active.
I'm making attempts at trying to work on understanding why I thought it was necessary to drink. (Doing the steps) writing it down, so it exists and cannot be denied.
I consider those major steps.
Some other minor changes I've made is to be more physically and mentally active. I try to do something everyday to make my life better, today I shampooed my couch and cleaned the driveway. I try to read something everyday. Not just recovery related, need to mix it up, or I'll go crazy.
And so far, it seems to be working.

Was getting pretty aggravated earlier today over petty things. Just being irritable. Like my dog wanted outside, then 10 seconds later wanted back in. Also when I was cleaning my couch, the cleaner tipped over, ughhh!!! I could feel myself getting upset, my skin was getting warmer, started to feel jumpy, like I wanted to hit something. Realized what was happening, stopped what I was doing and went upstairs and exercised to release the pent up feelings. I feel much better now.

Thanks everyone for giving me another release to tell someone how I'm feeling, it helps. Gonna keep this train rolling, see you tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Disonant - congrats on your achievement.

Very few things are worth getting too upset about.

My neighbor just had her second dog pass away in the last two months, and a coworker of my wife's house exploded yesterday - leveled. Don't want to be a downer, just offering some perspective.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Axeman, how did your wife's coworker's house explode? I don't think I knew that could even happen. Was it natural gas? Wow, that is too bad. I hope no one was in it!
Good reading and ideas here. Thanks for the links, too.
I am so tired! Going to lay down a bit before I have to leave for the meeting.
Hugs to all, and happy sober weekend!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

They aren't sure yet. Likely gas leak.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Haven't posted for a while, but still checking in. Still just going day to day.....thoughts of drinking come.....they go. Its a habitual way of thinking, at the point now where I know what and where will be a trigger for it. Friday afternoon. Saturday afternoon....the sick of solitary moments, the wow what a great day its been moments....the 'I deserve' moments . Just have to set aside and redirect focus to something else.

Feel that some of the sober benefits are starting to kick in a bit.....some changes have been made to living arrangements, made some moves to get new business happening, have been available for family, starting to re-establish some social contacts again. Small start.....but rewarding.

This group seems a bit smaller now, so hang in there everybody. It gets better, day by day.......

Later
Old 03-24-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Axeman, that is positive thinking. A few years ago reduced my drinking to once a week from the daily drinking, but didn't stop totally. He said, "You've reduced your drinking by 90%. That's a good thing." Unfortunately once a week is too much.

Dis, I hate to admit it, but the higher power thing plays a big role in this. I'm not religious, but some kind of faith is really important. When you recognize that you can't do anything about a situation, sometimes the only thing to do is let it go or pray. I just lie in bed and picture the stars and galaxies and ask whatever there is out there to help or give me answers. It sounds weird, but putting the ideas out there works. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. If you are sure you are going to fail at something, you probably will. If you feel you will succeed, you probably will. Also thhere is something to be said for handing the pain and worry over to 'something' that can handle it. And Zen Meditation is great. I'm supposed to be doing it!! Doctors orders.

I'm working hard to get things together to get my car fixed up. The mechanic has customers order their own parts online, which saves a ton of money. The shocks and tie rods are shot, it needs the timing belt/water pump job, and a new headlight system. This work will cost me 50-60% less than any major shop. I'm doing my homework on parts.

I'm working on a trip. I started research today. It looks like things really open up in May-June. Hot, sunny, salt water. Reset button and get away from my friend for a long time.

I felt like garbage all day. Allergies on overload, but I brought it on myself.

Thanks folks

-V
Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hellooooo...! Miss you guys. I'm still sober. Whoo! Just been crazy with starting anew job. Will take me a while to catch up. But so glad our class is staying committed. . ( or supporting our slips).
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Badger!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome back, Badger! Yeah, we lost some. A few are in the March thread, others seem to just have disappeared.

Last night was hard. I swung back and forth between having one glass of wine and having no wine more times than I can count. Ultimately had no wine. But had the joy (not) of watching my husband get sloppy and my son get close. I really worry about my son.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

PC,

Congrats on staying strong last night!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning my friends,

Well I'm burning up, and my allergies are still at Defcon 5, but I'm going to just push through. I think getting in shape to go away, will encourage me to stay sober. I never have a goal ahead of me. A reason to stay sober.

Anyone remember the ROCKY IV montage in Siberia when he's getting shape to fight Drago? I'm thinking something like that. I'm glad I dropped 40 pounds over the last year of sober times and my special diet for immune issues. All I need to do is build muscle.

I'm going to a second Dr of Integrative Medicine on Tuesday about an hour away. I'd like a second opinion and another set of eyes on this. Then I'll see if I want to stick with my current Dr or whatever.

Ok later on today folks

V
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Allergies are never fun. I seem to have largely grown out of mine, if that's possible.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 32

Doing well. Very active week and I need some downtime. Hopefully tomorrow, but I have lots of things I need to do on my offday....
Tall to you guys again soon.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see this group is still kicking goals

D