Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I passed on a work party tonight, I don't trust myself yet!

Day 10, double digits. I quit smoking too, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment I'm kidding, it feels good to be healthy and sober; even if I am going to be crabby for the next few weeks.

Went for a nice long walk today. It was really nice to get some exercise, it helped a lot.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hi Sadie
Old 02-20-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Amazing - You are brave going to a bar on day 6. I don't think I could do it. I really hope you stay sober.

Kittycat - Its only a work party pffttt. Good on you for giving up smoking too. I gave up over 2 years ago. If I can do it, anybody can.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
I have to be honest. This sucks. I have done nothing but lay around all day. Without my medication (beer) I have no desire to do anything.
Ah, but you did do something, you didn't drink and that's a big plus IMO.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 7. I didnt have cravings for alcohol last night but almost had a cigarette. I am doing both at once. If im going to suffer withdrawels and cravings might aswell do it in one go.
One more day and i would have survived weekend one. Well done to all that stayed sober over the weekend.

And those that slipped. Keep on going it will be worth it in the end to find the happier healthier you. To never give up is the key!!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day one. No drinks today. After yesterday's segue, I'm hoping to get back on the sobriety saddle. I'm also feeling sick tonight so Aleve was in order. I typically do not ever mix alcohol and pain killers, so it made it easy tonight.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you mama

D
Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Well, I am back at home and it's just after 12:30am my time. The bands were pretty good too. It was nice to enjoy listening to the live music and people watching was interesting too of course.

The last time, when I slipped after a nice long run of sober time, I made the commitment internally, only in my own head. I didn't tell anyone else. The adjustments to my plan that I made really helped me tonight and I think are now part of my plan's foundation for night's out like this (which are not extremely common).

After I made the plan and committed to it, the hardest part of the day today was making it through the first habit of knowing it's Saturday and wanting to drink just because it's Saturday. The second hard part was not pre-drinking before going somewhere while getting ready as this is also a habit and I was all alone.

Once I made it past that part of the night, I didn't get bugged by my AV at all the rest of the night.

My daughter and husband are already asleep but I'll be happy to see them when they wake up and although I might be tired from being out late, I won't be hung over and full of shame.

It really helped to add a few pieces to my plan in telling my husband, a friend and everyone in our class here on SR. At one point, my friend did ask if I would just drink one tonight (because she felt guilty about me not having any) and I quickly said no thanks...no hesitation. She then told me she was proud of me and we did a high five.

I've made it to Sunday (technically since it's after midnight here) and through a situation which slipped me up before!

Thanks for all of your support SR team!
Old 02-20-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Checking in. One of our oldest friends was in town from L.A. today, and we got to see the documentary he produced. A truly inspiring story about a man who started as a beggar on the streets of Nairobi and went on to save thousands of children from the same fate. He spoke afterwards and is probably the humblest, kindest person I've ever heard.

I was nervous about hanging out with our friend afterwards because I thought it would involve heavy drinking (my husband drinks).

It turns out he is sober, too. 4 years! We drank coffee all night so now I'll be up, but it was so worth it to get to talk to him--and remember the whole evening.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Morning all! I'm at Day 6, wasn't looking likely last night but I'm still here. I'm leaving in half an hour for my early meeting. I'm either going to another one afterwards or buying a really nice lunch to take home depending on how I feel. I woke up early this morning with no problem at all, no hangovers and actually feeling rested! My hands are only shaking ever so slightly as well!! My body's sorting itself out.

kittycat - Congrats on 10 days, and for quitting smoking as well! You're practically superhuman

Freedom - Well done for not giving in to that craving, look after yourself.

mama - Keep checking back, congrats on the start of your journey!

amazingjoy - Wow, that's brilliant! Being around triggers like that especially in early sobriety is not easy at all. You showed a lot of strength! Proud of you.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Checking in. One of our oldest friends was in town from L.A. today, and we got to see the documentary he produced. A truly inspiring story about a man who started as a beggar on the streets of Nairobi and went on to save thousands of children from the same fate. He spoke afterwards and is probably the humblest, kindest person I've ever heard.

I was nervous about hanging out with our friend afterwards because I thought it would involve heavy drinking (my husband drinks).

It turns out he is sober, too. 4 years! We drank coffee all night so now I'll be up, but it was so worth it to get to talk to him--and remember the whole evening.
You got home safe and sound then - EXCELLENT work
Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Good on you OT (OldTomato) for reaching day 6.

I must say - you sound more and more positive and supportive every day you post. I really enjoy reading your posts.

I hope you get a lot of strength and support from your meeting/s and enjoy your nice lunch. It sounds as though you are really concentrating on yourself, your recovery and health, that's so fantastic

Have a lovely sober day
Old 02-21-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good morning class. Well done to all of you who woke up sober this morning.

This feeling of waking up with a clear head is just the best ever. It feels like my birthday every morning. So worth battling that AV the night before.

Have a lovely day planned..my son and I are learning to ski in an indoor snow centre. We will then have lunch afterwards. I won't be racing home ASAP to get the drink down my throat. It's a liberating feeling not being chained to my bottle. Liberating
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Sorry if I am not replying to everyone's posts personally but I am reading them and taking them in. Every persons posts in this class helps me stay focused.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Safeandsound...

You had a great evening.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Day 21 and I a glad to be this far !
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Checking in. One of our oldest friends was in town from L.A. today, and we got to see the documentary he produced.
Hi SAS,

Thank you for the nice report about how to have a good evening with an old friend without alcohol.

Mel
Old 02-21-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing the best for everyone today

D
Old 02-21-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

So many of you doing so well! Great job.

I am crawling back....I don't want to ever have to join another class! Here we go...
Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I went to the one meeting because it did the job, now I have the whole day to myself. I splashed out on my lunch today because I told myself I could have anything I wanted, my appetite has shot up out of nowhere. I've spent a long time surviving on one meal a day, some days I'd only eat a cereal bar or two! No wonder I felt so ill. Now I'm having to stop myself from eating too much.

Coco - Thank you so much for saying that, you've made my day.

knb - That sounds really nice, I hope you have a great day. Spending the day worrying about when you're getting your next drink is exhausting, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Applekat - Keep checking back, you can do this!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks OldT.

Knb have a fabulous time with your son! We are taking our kids skiing today, which means I hang with the baby in the lodge. Be very proud of where you are at, and enjoy today with no hangover.