Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-23-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Day 10

Hi all,

still here and have made it through to Day 10. Only had one evening of real craving/temptation but go through this OK. I think my previous periods of sobriety have taught me a lot and it is worth remembering that we can learn something from every occasion that we slip up. I am beginning to feel that alcohol is out of my system physically now and mentally am feeling quite upbeat - but a little hyper on occasions. At the same time as stopping drinking, I have embarked on a major weight loss programme too (have another forum for that!). Spooky thing is, trying to improve in two areas at once seems easier than doing things one at a time - they sort of compliment each other, but also provide a distraction from each other - if that makes sense.

Is anyone else out there going with a second line of self improvement too?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hey deep blue!
May I ask what kind of weight loss program? I would really love to improve my health and self confidence by losing this booze bloat I've gotten over the years.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hey there July, always good to hear from you. I'm sorry about the nosebleeds and I hope they dissipate. How long does that usually last? Must be frustrating not knowing when they will appear. Glad you are doing well in your sobriety Did you guys get a lot of snow?

Optimist- I have definitely felt more tired than usually since I stopped drinking. You'd think it would be the opposite but oh well, the body is a curious thing. I believe it will get better. Working out does help me as well, I just have to find the motivation to do it! Hang in there...

Patricia- I am so, so sorry. That must have been so frightening and surreal. I do hope you feel better as the days go by. We are here if you need us.

Nice work Plenny! Chinese food and binge watching sounds like heaven! Glad you didn't give into that craving. I believe in time those habits will be replaced with new ones and it won't feel so "automatic."

Bandicoot- how did your event go? I would have been nervous as well.

Strongbird, great idea. How do bath bombs work? I have never tried it.

Tigerlili- I know how that feels! 15 minute increments is such a great way to tackle all that work. Do you feel better today about what you got accomplished? Try not to overwhelm yourself, it will all get done in due time.

Mish- you didn't let anybody down. How can you avoid taking that first drink next time? Where were you? Do you feel stronger in your desire to quit this time? I am glad you stopped after the one and hope you aren't beating yourself up too much.

Strangeangel- I hear that. The fantasy of drinking wine in a restaurant always tries to seduce me as well. I just keep remembering, like you do, that it never ends in glamour- just madness and chaos. Glad you have a great Saturday planned, enjoy it!

Hey Silly- glad you came back last night. I'm sorry you had such a rough day, sounds like you were taking a lot of things personally. That meeting, holy moly- you are brave for speaking up and walking out, not sure what I would have done. Have you been to any women's meetings in your area? I wonder if they would be better. Wishing you a more peaceful day today

SoberinSyracuse- my thoughts are with you, you can do this. My parents are in MD and I am curious to hear how bad the snow was. Stay safe and stay sober

Emme- what exactly happened and how can you avoid that close call next time? Sounds like you have a big change coming up! Good luck getting the house ready and have a great sober weekend!

Nic- so glad you are enjoying your meetings and temporary sponsor! That is great work you are doing, congrats!

Shantilove- glad you didn't listen to that AV last night, good work!

Deepblue- Yes!! On day 10 of a 3 week, low carb diet. I'm doing so well and also excited to be doing 2 things at once. For some reason, it works for me like it does for you. I am down 7 lbs and hoping for 7 more What plan are you doing for weight loss?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Mish

I think when a slip happens the best thing to do is go back to your plan and see what you can add to it?

D
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Morning guys- doing well over here. Did some reading (parenting book on managing my anger) from 530 to 6:00 and then wrote out that long ass reply above! lol

Feeling good, grateful to be sober. Saturdays are usually my toughest days because I have the boys until 4:30. Planning on letting DS pick a sensory project so we can go to the store, get supplies and come back and make it. I want to be a better parent and more involved, I feel like I don't do enough with either of my boys and that pains me.

Hoping to get a pilates workout in this morning- I created a home gym in our garage and the boys play the drums or watch a movie, jump on the trampoline while I exercise. It's a win win.

Happy sober Saturday my friends...
~P

Quote of the day (this one I might start using on newbie threads, as it truly speaks volumes)

Old 01-23-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Another early morning here, up at 4:00 a.m. I hope this is a temporary glitch, I am currently running on 5-6 hours of sleep, exhausted by bedtime, only to repeat. Maybe it’s my body getting back on my typical work schedule?

Yesterday’s interview was great, I felt good about my responses and felt that I presented well. They are interviewing the last candidate next Friday, so I won’t hear anything until the 1st or 2nd. Fingers crossed here!

Today I am meeting some friends/former coworkers for lunch, but feel that I can easily pass on wine, I’m feeling good about my sobriety thus far, and down 3 pounds over the past couple of days for a total drop of 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks. That may be contributing to the sleep deprivation; I’m up a few times at night due to releasing the water retention!

Have a safe and sober Saturday all, and for those of you who are snowed in, it sounds like perfect hot chocolate weather!
Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I am really, really glad I sat in the discomfort of anxiety last night instead of drinking. I woke up feeling like "me" again. I only got about 5 hours of sleep but I might have a chance to get a nap today, and is there anything better than a true, sober nap on a cold Saturday afternoon?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I had a drink yesterday but caught myself before spiralling into another out of control relapse.
Back to Day 1 but grateful I was able to stop myself when I did and recognise what was happening. Also grateful to still be in Class of January. Feeling really anxious and regretful which is reinforcing why even just one drink is not worth it.
Another experience to write in my journal and read when the urge comes again to discourage me from ever drinking. Sorry for letting you down guys.
Mish, I don't think anyone who has been in your shoes would be feeling "let down". You did great by stopping and keeping positive! Glad you're still in this class.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, Patricia :-(

Thank you, Jim,Nargles, Plenny, Odelle and Sunflower for your responses to my fatigue post.

I admit, my diet could be better so I will plan my attack today...after the treadmill.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

It's 10pm here and I'm so excited to go to bed because I will be on 2 weeks sober when I wake up!!!!
Had a great meeting tonight.. Got my 24 hour chip( they ordered them in for me especially, hence it being so late) just buzzing!!! Feel very blessed tonight. AV in hiding and I have such wonderful support both on here and in meetings...xx
Old 01-23-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams, Nic, and congratulations on 2 weeks!

My day is just beginning, day 16, so progressing into week 3. Feels good, doesn't it?!!!!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Day 6 and excited for it. Need to get back to exercising. I was very committed for awhile and just haven't gotten to it the past few weeks. Feeling achy bc of it. Nightmares are in full force, which always happens on my path to sobriety. Hopefully they'll subside. Haven't stayed longer sober enough to find out.

Having a nice dinner tonight for my sister in laws birthday. Pretty nervous as it will be the first time I go out this week and obviously won't be drinking. I've been taking Antabuse so I can't, just as an extra safety net for these situations. I just want to be able to have fun. Learning to do social things with out booze is the hardest party For me. Glad to hear everyone is plugging along. Very inspirational. Happy Saturday!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Sweet dreams, Nic, and congratulations on 2 weeks!

My day is just beginning, day 16, so progressing into week 3. Feels good, doesn't it?!!!!
Thanks honey!! Will be 2 weeks once I wake up!!! Lol

Day 16 is awesome!!! I'm so happy and excited..can't believe I've made it this far
Old 01-23-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Just a quick note. I have to meet my friend later and am nervous, but less so. Like Thump says, "People who matter don't mind. People who mind don't matter." I will find out what our friendship is made of.

Hubby got drunk last night. I still have no desire to drink but, boy, it is hard to listen to the meanderings of a drunk guy. He is the loveliest person, and it just makes me sad to see him all messed up like that. In a way he is doing me a service, because he does not make drinking look good.

I am drinking iced tea like there is no tomorrow. Some of my irritability is due to caffiene, for sure. Quitting smoking was an utter failure. Oh well. New quit date set for Monday.

While the east coast is getting blasted (thinking of you SiS and all affected), we are supposed to get up to 40F today! I am looking forward to all the ice melting away.

Everyone on this thread is inspiration. I do not know what I would do without ya'll.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Day 2. I'm already feeling much better than I was yesteday. I'm still going to take it easy for the weekend.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm trying to read back and get to know you all, but this class is so big! Lots going on, I like that . I'm glad everyone that slipped came back, it's an inspiration of sorts. I'm on day 9 with no chance at slipping, I don't want to plus the friggin snow. I'm stranded at my bf's house and he's stranded at work. Not the ideal scenario for what could've been a cozy snow day . Hugs to Patricia .
Old 01-23-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Feeling pretty dull. I did wake up with a flurry of ideas and a to-do list. But I feel plagued by them today. I cannot believe how tired I feel, four months later, after my struggles. Is it possible I am still catching up and replenishing?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Checking in after social/business event....

Hey everyone---Woke up to a Happy Sober Saturday

I mean literally woke up with a smile on my face--very cool!

SunFlower --Wow! Thank you for your lovely long post. How thoughtful to check in with everyone!

Deepblue - I'm right there with you. Doing a detox clean eating program and the bloat is going away. Down 13 pounds in 23 days so to me that's an indicator of how much I was drinking (& eating)--Ugh! I'll take that 13 down:-)

About last night's event - it was very nice and I remembered each detail
this morning! If this had happened in Dec. I would have drank myself silly in anticipation/anxiety AND would have drank again during the event AND poured a nightcap or 2 or 3 at home. Then would wake up wondering what the **** did I do or say last night?

My takeaway lesson -- I handle anxiety much better when I don't drink.

Dee -- thanks for the coping links!

Celebrating Day 23
Old 01-23-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Plenny -- I have no words of wisdom about your fatigue except don't we all have our Blah days? Congratulations on your 4 months--You are so Strong! (((Hugs)))
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I just got the thumbs up thanks botton figured out! Haha.
I'm so glad to be a part of this class. You all are so active here it makes me feel much better having a place to come with you all going through the same thing I am.