Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-22-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tonight is another big trigger for me (a social event I can't get out of) and I've been nervous all day.
I had a long post then I remembered I'd already posted a long post here on this to behindthelens.

No sense in repeating myself.

If you're determined to go, there's good tips for social occasions here:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide
Old 01-22-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Welcome bandicoot2, another suggestion is to look at Dee’s post (#261) on this thread.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm so hungry. I'm eating everything in sight. Pretty anxious too. I have a lot to do and I can't seem to keep on top of things like my housework, cooking, shopping, laundry and all that admin like sorting out issues with my health insurance, doing my tax etc. I'm taking things in 15 minute chunks. So far I've cleaned the bunny room, emptied the dishwasher and tidied the kitchen. Now i'm going to start tackling a desk full of paperwork in 15 minute increments. I do 15 mins and then check the internet for 15 minutes. My concentration span is barely 15 mins!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

I had a drink yesterday but caught myself before spiralling into another out of control relapse.
Back to Day 1 but grateful I was able to stop myself when I did and recognise what was happening. Also grateful to still be in Class of January. Feeling really anxious and regretful which is reinforcing why even just one drink is not worth it.
Another experience to write in my journal and read when the urge comes again to discourage me from ever drinking. Sorry for letting you down guys.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
He was an alcoholic, 72 years old. His heart just stopped while he was sleeping.
Patricia I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Sending you lots of hugs and positive energy. xxx
Old 01-22-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Day 5 is great, TigerLili. You seem to have a handle on time management and achieving your goals. 15 minutes may not seem like much time, but a lot can be accomplished in that span!

Mish, I so glad you stopped when you did; we all know where it could lead. No, you haven't let any of us down, we are here to support one another and to lend a helping hand or ear when someone is in need. No judgements! You can do this, just a small blip in the journey!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

This time last Friday I was drunk and fiending for cocaine. I spent my Saturday hungover and depressed. This Friday I am going to bed sober, after reading with my pups. I have a full, relaxing and productive Saturday planned. I am so much happier this way! I need to remember that the next time I'm tempted by that work happy hour...

I haven't been an emotional drinking recently.. Was in the past... My problem has evolved into me drinking when I'm happy, going to a happy hour, the lure and glamour of drinking nice wine at a fancy restaurant... Fast forward 3 hours and definitely not glamour or fun- for anyone. Reminding myself that I am much more glamorous when I'm sober and can actually walk in those fancy heels!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

******{Patricia}}}}. I am so sorry you went through that. My heart goes out to you tonight.

Odelle, you did nothing wrong. It is my issue. I am sorry.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

14 days. I attended the worst AA meeting tonight. The misogyny poured off the podium, and came from multiple male speakers. It started with one guy complaining about his wife's nagging and escalated with every speaker that took the stand.

When the last guy got up and said, "All women want to be cops," I got up and told them they were a bunch of misogynists and that their meeting was offensive, and walked out. Since it took place at an Alano club, I was able to leave a blistering review on Facebook, and that felt good. I have been to literally hundreds of meetings over the years and have never witnessed anything like that in AA.

Then I came here and wrote a PM to the jerk who equated atheists with Satanic worshippers. I was not nice, but I kept it off the boards.

Ms. Nice has left the building. I am a b*tch on wheels now.

And I am clean and sober.

Hope everyone else is too.

Good night all.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, all. Just checking in. Like many, I'm affected by Jonas. I'm staying the weekend at a friend's house in MD until the storm passes and I can continue my journey home to Syracuse. There's alcohol in the house but I don't feel tempted. The treatments I just had were pretty effective at shutting off the cravings and preoccupation.

Nonetheless, keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll dump the booze if it calls to me.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss Patricia.

Stay safe SoberinSyracuse and anyone else in the path of the storm.

It is almost the end of day 19. I had a close call tonight and almost drank. I didn't though and am looking forward to spending the weekend sober. I have a lot to do this weekend. My brother & sister in law are moving in with me next weekend for probably a couple of months. I am looking forward to it but have quite a bit to do to get the house ready. I'm a little concerned about having alcohol in the house too but will worry about that closer to next weekend.

Thanks for posting and letting me be a part of this class.
Have a great weekend everyone
Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

SillyHuman - I would have done the same thing in your shoes. How incredibly inappropriate and offensive on both counts.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Meetings are for support, not harassment. Definitely find another group.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I had a drink yesterday but caught myself before spiralling into another out of control relapse.
Same thing happened to me on Wednesday. Had a drink, didn't enjoy it, poured the rest away and chalked up a win. Don't consider your drink a fail, we're all taking sober baby steps and we're stronger than we give ourselves credit for. I'm 21 days sober with a little blip at day 19 😉
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Same thing happened to me on Wednesday. Had a drink, didn't enjoy it, poured the rest away and chalked up a win. Don't consider your drink a fail, we're all taking sober baby steps and we're stronger than we give ourselves credit for. I'm 21 days sober with a little blip at day 19 😉
It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one xxx
Old 01-23-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

I'm so hungry. I'm eating everything in sight. Pretty anxious too. I have a lot to do and I can't seem to keep on top of things like my housework, cooking, shopping, laundry and all that admin like sorting out issues with my health insurance, doing my tax etc. I'm taking things in 15 minute chunks. So far I've cleaned the bunny room, emptied the dishwasher and tidied the kitchen. Now i'm going to start tackling a desk full of paperwork in 15 minute increments. I do 15 mins and then check the internet for 15 minutes. My concentration span is barely 15 mins!
Hey tiger!! I'm much the same- no concentration and up until
Yesterday i could have eaten anything in sight!!! I'm trying to keep myself busy with small tasks - and changing things up a lot-
Hopefully things will get better soon x
Old 01-23-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I'm sorry I'm still trying to read all the posts.

My father in law died in our house yesterday. I am very freaked out. I was the one that found him.

I'm am trying to be strong for my family right now but AV keeps talking. I can't fall apart and drinking will not help. I hope I can get some moments of calm sometime today, I'm really freaked out.
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry for your loss Patricia... That's terrible news. I really hope you're doing the best you can under the circumstances. Please know I'm thinking of you and sending love X
Old 01-23-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Hello my fellow January lovelies- well I'm now on day 13 yippeeee... Been such a rough week but I'm feeling better today. Last night went to a comedy show as I mentioned then dinner which was great.
Today my "temporary" sponsor came over for coffee and the Spanish Inquisition lol!! All good though!!
I've got my 4th meeting in an hour and actually quite looking forward to it. I find some sort of peace sitting with a bunch of guys and girls who have walked a similar path that we all have or are doing now...

Nargles- welcome to the group!! So happy to see you here,and hope you post here lots... Trust me it really helps...

Sober in Syracuse- please stay safe and stay strong,,, thinking of you and hope you are going to be ok X

Mish-- oh dear... Just a slip girlie..... I personally think you've done an amazing job being able to stop the drinking straight after.... Not many can do that ( myself included) pat yourself on the back for that.. Regret is a pointless emotion right now- we just have to learn our lesson and move on a bit stronger than before...
You never have to apologise to anyone here- you've let no one down at all... This is a disgustingly difficult road to recovery and every single one of us knows this.
I'm sending you strength, love and hugs- you can do this babe x xx

Silly human- holy moly! Where to start?! I would have walked out too! How disgraceful for you to have to sit through that rubbish... That's not what you need, we go to meetings for support and encouragement not to listen to their moronic viewpoints. Glad you told them pricks off!!!! :-) I'm so happy you're sober too girl X

Loopy Lou- I love the BLIP idea. Maybe I would have saved myself another 6 months of torture had I taken a similar viewpoint.. You've got a great attitude!! Keep on going xx
Old 01-23-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Nic xxx
Old 01-23-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

19 days today, AV is very chatty tonight, the husband has gone out for a big boys night so of course I want to drink. But I'm not going to. Playing the tape back in my head of the out come, how bad it's all progressed last year. I know where it would end up.
Have a strong sober weekend everyone x