Administrator

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Accupuncture Update

Acupuncture surprised me. It was recommended as treatment for anxiety. It was good, but some of it seemed hokey. The guy kept feeling up my wrist, while doing something with something on his belt, and watching something on the desk, and then making notes. It was strange.

But the things he said after that were right on.

1) I need to slow my brain down. He said of thought activity, on a scale of zero to ten, with zero being perfect, I am at 100. He told me to start living one hour at a time (he does not know I am in recovery). Thoughts of the past and the future are no-no's. Whenever possible, I am supposed to refuse to entertain thoughts of anything but the hour I am in. He mentioned practicing mindfulness a couple times.

2) He said I eat too sporadically and eat the wrong things. He recommended 900 calories of plant starch (potatoes, bread, rice, corn, legumes), and 5 servings of fruit (bananas, oranges, red grapes) per day. The rest should be protein, fat and veggies of my choice.

Then he did the acupuncture on my front. I thought he was just giving me little pokes and was surprised to see needles sticking out. He left them in for around 25 minutes or so. Then he did my back and I fell asleep on the table. It is surprisingly relaxing. Woke up feeling like a million bucks!

The feeling of being calm and rested is sticking with me. I stopped running around and am happy to just stay home tonight and cozy up to a book. It makes no sense whatsoever, but I cannot argue with the results. Acupuncture is impressive.

I am giving the diet a go too.

It will be cool to stay home tonight and catch up on SR as well.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Thanks for the new thread D x
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

SH, glad to hear your acupuncture went off well. Whatever it takes.

Odella and others, thanks again for the pick-up last night, I sure needed it. Today I'm much more balanced emotionally, and I've found a good way to deal with my imbalances when they occur.

Halfway through my shift at work, and I find myself wanting to go to a meeting, not because I need help staying on the straight-and-narrow, but because I want to be with people who understand, in person. I take it that's a good sign.

Need to have more folks on the chat tonight, I'd love to real time with all y'all.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better SillyHuman!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talked 4-5 minutes to my wife. First time in a few weeks . I gave her number to counselling that a pastor gave me. She said she's been looking. Today she also started a medicine that supposed to supplement the anti depressant she already takes.
With her father dying and suffering so much at the end, she's been in such a bad place that I just basically did not understand . I've learned the hard way to back off, and deal w my own junk and go on.
High hopes for her to get better. Being in a hell, is hell, no matter what it's from.
Sober another day, friends.-
Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thump, I was thinking the same thing today! What a great support group, I would love to meet with you all in person. I’ve never been to AA before, but if this is an example of the support and camaraderie that can be found, I definitely need to find a group. There are many in my immediate area, I guess I’m a bit intimidated by going.

I’m glad you are in a better mindset today.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad the acupuncture sounds promising Silly
Best wishes for your wife and for you JL

D
Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Thump, I was thinking the same thing today! What a great support group, I would love to meet with you all in person. I’ve never been to AA before, but if this is an example of the support and camaraderie that can be found, I definitely need to find a group. There are many in my immediate area, I guess I’m a bit intimidated by going.

I’m glad you are in a better mindset today.
Well, I'm of the understanding that each group has its own personality -- and that you should look around for the best fit -- but the comfort of knowing that you've got helping hands and crying shoulders, applauding palms and smiling faces is so worth it.

As for meeting folks from here, I need to get to know the community better, but there are already some whom I'd enjoy in person, I think.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a busy group! On day 3 or 4 I forget and not counting, just doing! Down 5 pounds and feeling so hydrated. On detoxing, keep in mind that everything you put in your hair, on your face, some foods are also toxins. Help your body detox by forgoing some of these chemicals too and see what happens. It helps.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It would be fun to meet folks from SR.

It was a mellow evening here. I colored (with crayons) a lot after dinner and listened to soft music. Have a good night everyone.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SH - acupuncture - very interesting. What made you decide to try it? How many visits are you planning on doing. What did you do it for if I may ask (since you say he didn't know you were in recovery).

I can say that I am just getting into mindfulness the last six weeks or so. It has helped tremendously. Very surprised how much better I feel.

Gonna start my new book "Rewired". Really liked "I Want to Change My Life".
Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mindfulness helped me a bunch for quitting smoking (and dealing with some emotionally wrenching stuff a few years ago). I need to get back to practicing more consistently. Things went well for me today. I just realized I may not have had a headache at all yesterday and didn't feel a thing until a few minutes ago today (headache has been my most persistent physical issue). I went over to the house of a couple friends this evening for tacos and watching the series Archer. That was a planned and more positive response than just getting out of the house last night but doing solitary stuff once out.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Closing day 2. So tired. Trying not to have anxiety about the future.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My quiet night was interrupted by uninvited supra-ventricular tachycardia. I was furious, because that is what a sudden heart rate of 200 can do for you. It is under control now, without a trip to ER. I feel like I have been through the wringer.

[QUOTE=Olivia2011;5750600]SH - acupuncture - very interesting. What made you decide to try it? [QUOTE]

The therapist I saw today recommended it.

"How many visits are you planning on doing."

He set an appointment for two weeks. Beyond that, I do not know.

"What did you do it for if I may ask (since you say he didn't know you were in recovery). "

Anxiety. It worked pretty well until the tachycardia started.

"I can say that I am just getting into mindfulness the last six weeks or so. It has helped tremendously. Very surprised how much better I feel. "

What little training he gave me has been very helpful. The "Acceptance and Commitment therapy" uses it a lot, I understand. I do not have the book yet.

Tonight was not fun. I am done with cigarettes!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sut

Hi everyone! Early day 3 here. Bit grumpy and tired as I slept very poorly last night, but I expected that. Price to pay.

Yesterday was good. Managed to exercise a bit and make a phone call I’ve been delaying since New Year’s. When I drink I can procrastinate to eternity!

Today started with a demon from the past creeping up completely unexpected. I guess it’s not TOO bad but it is causing me anxiety. And I don’t handle anxiety well.. Not sure if I should try and handle somehow, or sweep it under the rug. I mean I don’t even know how to handle it honestly. Not to mention I don’t feel ready for this kind of stuff right now. Got to focus on me.. Did some reading and soul searching last night, felt good, so now this comes as a bit of a bummer.
Stay sober good people
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Silly
That's terrible you poor thing! Must have been terrifying.
Have you had tachycardia before?
I'm also intrigued by the acupuncture. Thanks for sharing your experience.
-Tink
Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smooth night tonight, a little grumble from an AV feeling lonely and jilted. Good! Persistent little so-and-so, no doubt, but entering Day 20, I feel that hiccups aside, this is as doable as anything I've set my mind to doing -- and much more worthwhile.

Stay strong and be well, folks.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you know what caused it Silly?

D