Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDBnSLC View Post
Sunflower I'm not a doctor I'm only repeating what my doctor told me (and I hadn't a clue) He told me not to take Tylenol if I've been drinking because it puts even more stress on the liver. Ask your doctor what you can take instead...or s/he might tell you that I'm wrong. Better safe than sorry-I always say.
Thank you, good point. I will get some Motrin instead and see if that is ok (will research first). I do take NAC which is a huge liver detoxifier and used in the case of Tylenol overdoses!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Ignore - getting the hang of qouting.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Now back to the question, WTF is this "hardcore atheism" that I see referenced in posts?
I am "agnathiest" (don't believe in a deity or deities on high, but also don't believe yah/nay on whether there is something beyond the biological realm and/or this lifetime). And I'm totes gay married. I have no frame of reference for someone's use of the term hardcore atheist. Bluedog's interpretation may correct. Another possibility is that, sadly, sometimes just being open and being yourself and speaking your truth is seen as hardcore or "shoving it in people's faces" when it is against the tide of the majority - despite being the same or even less than the level of expression they take for granted themselves for their various political/religious/sexual/etc. orientations. Religious belief or disbelief and the flavor of one's religion and spirituality seems absolutely germane to SR in my opinion since the resources available often come from a particular vantage point. So we each, in filling our toolboxes and making our plans, are seeing things through the lens of whether they are a "net positive" or something that brings aggravation or dissonance, support or some level of less than full acceptance. Or maybe we "all" aren't - the religious lens may be a thing present only for those traveling a different path (like heteronormativity being typically not noticed by a chunk of the population). Or it could be a descriptor of someone's impression of how high up the self-identity scale religion/atheism/spirituality is to a person (flip the script to something like "he's a hardcore Christian" and I-for better or worse- have a picture in my mind of what that means). Anyway, if there was negative intent or bristling about challenging the predominant status quo then I ain't got time for that nonsense. I've faced that since I was a kid and, at this point, it mostly just makes me feel pity for the person expressing such views (as it usually goes with a host of other fears, attempts to control, etc.) and hope that their minds will open in time. But it is not my job or burden to help that process along.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hi all. You're right, you're right... I'mback. Felt awful all day. I cam.still have 26 dayssober which otherwise I wouldn't have had. I've realised my trigger is a good friend of mine. Not sure how to handle it. Has anyone been. Through this?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Well, thanks, Odelle. But I gotta ask, is that the way you would respond to someone who was upset about a post that equated being gay with Satanic worship? I doubt that. I know you did not mean to, and I know that you meant well, but you have proved my point.

I am going to leave this thread (and maybe SR) alone today because I am angry, crying, and in the mood to do some damage. I do not want to do that to people I like and care about A LOT.

So, signing off from colorful Colorado. Hang tough guys. No matter what happens, go clean and sober, onward through the bog!
Hiya SH, drop in if you need to, we're not going anywhere.

As an atheist, I don't spend much time caring what anyone else thinks about me, or says about me, for that matter. If some gal in the Friends and Family Forum wants to think of me as a Satan-worshipper who eats babies at lunch, that's her business. So long as she doesn't give me grief for my views, I'm fine.

Life is too short to concern yourself with the opinions of others, sweetie. "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Go on about your sobriety and let the judgmental folks have their conniptions on their own time.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hello. - was listening to Adelle's HELLO song. Great song.

One more comment and I'm not gonna comment on gay, atheism, politics, money or religion anymore. As far as AA you don't have to disclose that you are atheist or religious for that matter. Anything can be your higher power. It can be your dog if you want it to be. Just something you hold on to for security the way I take it. Like some kind of lucky piece you have or something. I would t disclose my preference if I didn't want to.

Ok. That's it!

Me!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

day 18, I think (hope) I'm over the hump with detox, next I'll have to deal with the cravings. Anyone going through this should seriously consider AA (just ignore the God stuff if you're not into it). AA is a place you can go and get a lot of support from people "just like us" who know exactly what you are going through. I can tell you that the only times in the last week that I felt human was right after attending a meeting. You can announce that your an atheist of agnostic and they won't throw you out! (but they will tell you that at least half of the members start out that way). I'm personally agnostic, and have some die hard atheist friends (but to me they are no different than the flat earth society, how do you deny the possibility of things you can't possibly know about? Has human knowledge reached the end? Nothing new to learn about the universe?. Anyway, perhaps I don't know the true definition of atheism, so I've said my ignorant peace)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Mmmmmm, coffee.

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
[...] (but to me they are no different than the flat earth society, how do you deny the possibility of things you can't possibly know about?[...]
Not all atheists have a positive disbelief in god(s). Not all atheists deny the possibility of god(s) existing.

All that atheism means is the absence of belief in a god or gods. Some atheists make the positive claim that "God cannot exist". Others (like me) say "I don't know whether they do or don't, but based on evidence I don't believe they do". Still others -- apatheists -- don't care about gods one way or the other.

Having moderated a freethought forum for a few years, I got to see a broad spectrum of beliefs. I think it's always better to let people speak for themselves regarding their own beliefs; and I think it's better to listen to them rather than impute our own preconceived notions upon them.

I enjoy going to AA even as a nonbeliever for a reason entirely apart from recovery too: it teaches me to abandon my preconceived notions.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Woah! I haven't logged in for a while and we are already on page 12 of a continuation thread! I have missed a lot. Today is day 22 for me and my heart just isn't in to it. Wish it were. Very, very stressful at work. My plan is to read my old posts as time permits.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Benice. The blahs hit us all.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi class of January 2016. I'm new to the thread but not new to the forums if you look at my post count. I've had good sobriety and bad non sobriety...but I'm back on track and need someplace to be held accountable. I think this is the place .
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Just back from the doctors ... Got all my lab work done and will get results early next week. But...one positive piece of news: for the past year my blood pressure has been off the charts high and I was concerned today that is go in and we'd start talking about medication to start controlling it. Well ... Lo and behold: with just 18 days sober, I had a perfect bp! Right where I should be for my age and gender. Woo-hoo!! Down side, when I left the office, my first thought was that I should stop and pick up a bottle or two of champs to celebrate. I reminded myself how crazy that was and am now safely home ... Haven't eaten all day as I was fasting so will make myself a good lunch and settle in for a nice quiet Friday, knowing tomorrow I'll wake up feeling just as good as I did this morning (hopefully, with a better night sleep).
Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Nice to hear Lulu!! I am sure that is a relief.

Glad you beat the craving too- funny how it so quickly shows up when either good or bad things happen. Have a nice Friday evening, I am taking it easy here as well
Old 01-22-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Hi. I'd like to join you. I'm new and on day one. I am so sick of drinking. Just poured all of the alcohol in the house out. I'm optimistic and a bit scared at the moment. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Hiya SH, drop in if you need to, we're not going anywhere.

As an atheist, I don't spend much time caring what anyone else thinks about me, or says about me, for that matter. If some gal in the Friends and Family Forum wants to think of me as a Satan-worshipper who eats babies at lunch, that's her business. So long as she doesn't give me grief for my views, I'm fine.

Life is too short to concern yourself with the opinions of others, sweetie. "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Go on about your sobriety and let the judgmental folks have their conniptions on their own time.
LOL...
You bring back memories ! Back in my USMC days, (way back), I once met a group of Korean marines(ROK- marines what they were called).
They were under full belief that us marines had to kill and eat their firstborn child.
Propaganda, I don't know?
Back then I was involved in a lot of horrible activities and scenery. Years later, read Dante's inferno. Kind of came across like a cartoon, from my (odd at best) perspective.
Half the time, now, I'm shaken around about what I believe, so I'm with you- those who matter, don't mind.
Sorry, rambling.
Religious abuse type issues strike a chord with me, big time.
We are here to not drink/use/whatever.
Rock on ppl !
Hugs
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Sorry. Fridays stink. I usually end up drinking on them. Fighting today.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nargles View Post
Hi. I'd like to join you. I'm new and on day one. I am so sick of drinking. Just poured all of the alcohol in the house out. I'm optimistic and a bit scared at the moment. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Welcome and so glad you are here! We are a great group and offer lots of support. Any time you get a craving, come here. If you have a question, come here. If you need to talk, come here. You can do this if you are willing and ready. Dumping out the booze is a great step. What are your plans for the weekend? Is that your usual drinking time?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Sorry. Fridays stink. I usually end up drinking on them. Fighting today.
Stay strong. Is there something you can do to keep yourself occupied? Go to the movies? Do something you don't normally do? That tends to help me. Hang in there, the craving will pass.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

My husband is out of town so I wouldn't drink until he was back so I'm not really worried about the weekend. Next weekend I will need good plans. I'll start thinking on that.
I wrote out a simple plan, I'm sure it's going to need a lot of work though!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nargles View Post
Welcome, Nargles!