Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Supposed to get snowed in tomorrow night. Having a hard time not going to the liquor store. Arguing with myself
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Day 12
Feeling strong again- thanks once again to all of you who took time out of your own day/own struggles to post and give me words of encouragement and love.

I'm heading to work now for a busy Friday then I have some comedy show that I'm taking my boys to. Should be a great night out and gets me out of the house for that dreaded Friday night!!

I think that some of your messages yesterday have really hit home and I need to stop my denial. I'm not sure why I find it so hard to admit that I am an alcoholic. But yes I think I really am. Not sure I'm ready to admit that outloud at a meeting yet but at least I'm slowly getting it!

I spent hours last night unable to sleep reading old posts of others who have gone through our same struggles and so many of the stories could have been written by me. I think it says a lot that besides a few small differences- we are all on the same journey.
I hope we can stick together and kick this addiction in the butt.

Anyway Happy Friday X x
Old 01-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I think that some of your messages yesterday have really hit home and I need to stop my denial. I'm not sure why I find it so hard to admit that I am an alcoholic. But yes I think I really am. Not sure I'm ready to admit that outloud at a meeting yet but at least I'm slowly getting it!

I spent hours last night unable to sleep reading old posts of others who have gone through our same struggles and so many of the stories could have been written by me. I think it says a lot that besides a few small differences- we are all on the same journey.
I hope we can stick together and kick this addiction in the butt.
Admitting (or getting closer to be able to admit) you're an alcoholic is a huge step. I had to get told by someone I was and even then it took a while before I really accepted it. When I did though, it was like a huge weight lifted. No more trying to hide from it just a sense of "ok, you're an alcoholic. What are you going to do about it?"

Enjoy your night out!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Steve3929 View Post
Mav, I know your place well. I have a 2 and 1 year old. When I was drinking towards the end, it was all I could do to not pass out most nights, leaving my wife with 2 babies. Since then, I am actually parenting with her. Pretty cool stuff, but so damn regretful of the time missed.
Yes, exactly! So many times I'd be like "hey did you know he can do X" and my wife was "er, yeah, he was doing that last week" and I missed it all. Not too late to change though... Even in the last 21 days it's like I've got a whole new relationship with my son and I'm loving it!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Well, I failed. And it wasn't worth it. Goodbye guys. I'll be back I'm sure. I managed sixteen days and I felt really insecure today. Will think over the next few days where I went wrong.
Wishing you all the best, Januaries.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Good 'ol AV. It does get quiter the more times you try to quit, the longer you quit for. People will think I'm crazy but I still have a half a bottle of wine on the counter from a week ago. Not sure why I'm keeping it... Must be to remember that I stopped drinking? No reason to buy more? Or have to debate going to the store to buy more? Anyway - I totally looked right at that bottle tonight - AV feeling anxious, yes I think it was anxiety. I can still feel myself looking at it. I quickly said no, you're going to waste all the progress you made. Feeling too good to go backwards. One leads to two which leads to daily drinking...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Gibby, you try again. I tried a million times. It does not mean you have to leave. Stay. Start over. You can do it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Supposed to get snowed in tomorrow night. Having a hard time not going to the liquor store. Arguing with myself
I hope you are winning. That trip to the store would just be hopping back on the same old ride to hell. Nothing will have changed. You will wake up on Day 1, again.

I hope you decide to wait out the storm.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Day 5 here. No desire to drink but I am feeling really tired and lazy today. It doesnt help that i need to clean my very untidy house.

I'm off to drink a gallon of water. Be back later.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Gib, it happens and most of us have been there. Dust off and keep on with us . I didn't go to the store and just have eaten supper. Piled up in the sack. Really distraught. 2 yr old child disappeared from a walk with his grandma, and sister a week ago. They search 1000 acres, just found him half a mile from his last known location. My wife got me noticing this story, and she's on some powerful antidepressants now so it's not hitting her as much. I'm crying hugging my boys and they're like. "Dad-- get OFF me !!"
So sad.
Anyway it made national news I think, but I'm not sure. I'm not a news watcher any longer. I don't feel like I miss much . Life is too short to swim in horror.
AV lost tonight.
Thursday night, 24 hrs down, amen.
Hugs
Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

((((JL))))

Good for you! I am breathing a sigh of relief for you. I hope you and your boys have a good night.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Glb82 View Post
Well, I failed. And it wasn't worth it. Goodbye guys. I'll be back I'm sure. I managed sixteen days and I felt really insecure today. Will think over the next few days where I went wrong.
Why goodbye?

There's absolutely no need to leave the site or leave the thread Glb.

SR is where you need to be when you're struggling. This is not simply a site for back slappers - we really want to help those struggling too

and there's still around 10 days of January left.

get back on the horse and keep positing

D
Old 01-21-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you made a good choice JL

D
Old 01-21-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Day 4

Dee - I think our little avatars are walking in the wrong direction. It bothers me every time I look at them! !
Old 01-21-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Busy day off today, drove into town and got my shopping and errands done, back home and then off to my meeting. I'm going to check out the Friday meeting in Marble Falls tomorrow. Tonight's here left me flat, considering how strong my weakness was last night.

Originally Posted by Glb82 View Post
GLB, it goddamned sure is worth it, and you know it. Losing a battle is not tantamount to losing the war.

Don't wait a few days to come back, hurry back. Climb back on the horse and ride some more. You know you want to be sober. You know it.

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Don't go. Paint yourself into a sober corner, and use the time wisely.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Day 3. I'm feeling clearheaded and normal. A good friend of mine came over to help me with a house project so I haven't really had the chance to sit down until now.

The problem / blessing for me is I honestly wouldn't be likely to drink until like next weekend (the 29th or so) because there's a lot going on at work. And where I fall apart in sobriety is in that deception that because I can string together a week or two sober pretty easily, it means I don't have a problem. Yet I was basically trapped in bed all day Tuesday from that "not problem."

I want a few weeks to have passed. I'm almost looking forward to when the first craving hits so I can tell it to go eff off. It's easy now, which makes it so easy to let my guard down.

Anyway... another good day. Thankful. Stay strong, everyone.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I concur with the majority, GLB, it’s still January and you can hop back on and have a total of 26 days sober in January; those are pretty good numbers for a start.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes everyone Made it through day 2 (once again in bed while posting). Had a dull headache by the end of the day and some anxiety but better than yesterday. Rode my bike trainer for 45 min after work which I think helped too with the nervous energy/anxiety. Headed to bed and ready for another day of staying strong!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Day 4

Dee - I think our little avatars are walking in the wrong direction. It bothers me every time I look at them! !
Must be cos we're Aussies

StrongBird - you have an excellent chance to make a plan now for that downtime later

Whatever happened in the past is no determinant. What you do now counts for so much more

You can stay sober.

D
Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I have been reading posts on SR for 3 years now, as many of you have, and one thing is a given, sobriety isn’t always going to be easy. I find that especially true when a craving hits hard and strong, totally catching me off guard. I suggest we all make a pact to post on SR before acting on a craving (good job JL).

Hopefully, the voices of reason will counter the lure of the AV. Time to up the ammunition.

With that in mind, I am going to download the app to my phone and learn to use it before I hit crisis mode.

Note to class - we don’t shoot our wounded, we support and care for them. Please don’t self-exile if you’ve had a slip. No one here is going to judge you or preach to you, we understand.

I have a second interview tomorrow for a job that I really want; prayers and well wishes welcome!