Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

So Gib are you leaving because you want to return to drinking ? Certainly don't leave because you slipped! We all slip. I lurked around here since last April and just now trying to commit. I've slipped a gazillion times. I'm giving it my all this time. Drinking is a living hell. Give it another shot please. If you slip again, give it another shot please. If you slip again, give it another shot please.

JL - I'm super impressed dude ! Very proud of you.

For all of you with kids, I salute you for trying. I believe two posts ago I said that the child raising years were the most stressful of my life so far. It gets better but not till you get your life back which is when you are about 50! Sorry but true. I love my kids but Wew was it a lot of work. I talked a little about my son earlier. Now my daughter. My husband spent too much time farming and not with the kids. My daughter actually cut her forearm twice (self-inflicted). I do believe it was because she could not get the attention she wanted from her dad. Now to top that off, he was working, it was fairly early in the day, and I was too drunk to take her for stitches. She has a nice scar to show for these two lovely parents. Fast forward 15 or more years. All my husband and I can do is try to make it better. You will drive yourself crazy with guilt and regret. You cannot undo it so move forward and make it better. My daughter always idolized her dad. I always thought well crap I'm the one that ran my as* off with the kids, worked lots of OT and such. I'm just glad as parents we are trying to make it better. The family gets along so much better this past month it's unbelievable. My husband is doing great. As he gets older he can turn it off (drinking). He had many years where he really really drank (and worked way too many hours).
I can tell when my daughter answers the phone what kind of day she is having. She can't really even make a phone call because Olivia makes all this noise in the background. My daughter works long nursing shifts. She's also going thru a divorce. It's a cluster *** to say the least.

Stopped for early dinner today. I had a half carafe
of...... Water! And my husband had Pepsi ! yay !
Woot woot! (As my daughter would say !).

Hang tough. We can do this. I've had the best month I've had since my four or five month run in 2009.

StrugglingJim. - so good to see you! You sound like you are doing well and making a great attempt. So happy for you.

Best wishes

Olivia
Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Odelle - good luck on second interview. You've got this ! Fingers crossed here!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
I have been reading posts on SR for 3 years now, as many of you have, and one thing is a given, sobriety isn’t always going to be easy. I find that especially true when a craving hits hard and strong, totally catching me off guard. I suggest we all make a pact to post on SR before acting on a craving (good job JL).

Hopefully, the voices of reason will counter the lure of the AV. Time to up the ammunition.

With that in mind, I am going to download the app to my phone and learn to use it before I hit crisis mode.

Note to class - we don’t shoot our wounded, we support and care for them. Please don’t self-exile if you’ve had a slip. No one here is going to judge you or preach to you, we understand.

I have a second interview tomorrow for a job that I really want; prayers and well wishes welcome!
Good luck for your interview Odelle! I'm sure you have it in the bag! If not-then something better will be just aroound the corner hun xxx hugs xx
Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Odelle, thanks for kind words regarding not isolating if you slip. I tend to run away from any where/thing I've done that's embarrassing due to drinking. I get far away and don't have to go back to it so I don't feel bad. Although I have no slipped I feel safer and will try and apply that to other places in my life.

Closing in on day 4. Busy day, my thoughts are always running so there was some booze thought and panic in regards to my social life and if I'll ever socialize again. Silly, but real.

Xx
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Good luck for your interview Odelle! I'm sure you have it in the bag! If not-then something better will be just aroound the corner hun xxx hugs xx
Thank you Nic, and you too, Olivia. Replying (posting from my phone, haha, you really can teach an old dog a new trick.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Okay, getting the hang of posting via phone, bear with me.

strangeangel,
Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Okay, getting the hang of posting via phone, bear with me. strangeangel,
Grrr, patience please.

Strangeangel, I posted that as a reminder for me too, been there, done that.

Olivia, now I know why your eye hurts!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Back on the laptop! Okay, I know how to use the app if I need to send an SOS.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Odelle -lmao too!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Oof. Sorry to jump in, haven't read a thing. Stayed at a friend's place for two days. We were having a great time. But I packed everything but my phone charger. I'm very thankful that she's more of a food friend than an old drinking buddy. And we work together. Whew.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Odelle, sending good wishes and hopes that you get that job. Thanks for the lovely post.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about getting an eye patch like a sailor ! And cussing like a sailor! Ha ! If my eye's not better tomorrow I think I go to eye doctor. Light bothers it a whole lot. Red red too.
Hurts when I move it! On to my laptop before I go blind on SR!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Too funny, Olivia. I had to look up the meaning before I got what you were saying. Damn, I'm really giving my age away, aren't I?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I'm at work sneaking on here!!!!! HAHA Don't want to miss anything! :p
Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Gib, get back in the saddle. It's just a slip.

I've got a big test coming and I am not all that confident I'll pass. I have to visit a few friends Sunday to Wednesday and one has recently bought a bar. I cannot avoid it as it has been planned for months and he wants me to do some photo-work for him. I have been around friends who've been drinking since I quit with zero problems but this may be a bit more of a challenge:

Different city, free booze, possible peer pressure from one of the biggest drinkers I have ever known....

So to give myself a fighting chance I am not staying on anyone's sofa. Booked a hotel and have also been planning a few things I need to do while I am there. The hotel is the main strategy as it means I can disappear whenever I choose.

Day 18 today.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Administrator

I cannot avoid it as it has been planned for months and he wants me to do some photo-work for him.
Ok, this is never popular when I say this but nothing is unavoidable in early recovery.

Going to an opening a bar owned by a big drinking friend this early in recovery is a terrible idea.

I think you'd agree with me if anyone else posted this.

I realise it's the eleventh hour now tho.

(Sometimes I really think the AV wants us to procrastinate on making a decision until the last moment - it would have been easier to cancel a month ago, for example.)

If you feel a sense of duty and you feel like you have to go - be a professional photographer.

Have plans for what you'll do if cravings strike, have a plan for what you'll say if someone offers you or a drink or asks why you're not drinking...and have an escape plan, own car etc..

I would not stay overnight on a mate's sofa so the hotel is a good call..

You can stay sober. Read around in Newcomers forum today for people who thought a few drinks wouldn't hurt.

If you don't believe that you will stay sober, I reckon you really have no business going BTL.

D
Old 01-21-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by StrongBird View Post
I want a few weeks to have passed. I'm almost looking forward to when the first craving hits so I can tell it to go eff off.
We all want shortcuts. Take a number, stand in line.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
Odelle, thanks for kind words regarding not isolating if you slip. I tend to run away from any where/thing I've done that's embarrassing due to drinking. I get far away and don't have to go back to it so I don't feel bad. Although I have no slipped I feel safer and will try and apply that to other places in my life.

Closing in on day 4. Busy day, my thoughts are always running so there was some booze thought and panic in regards to my social life and if I'll ever socialize again. Silly, but real.

Xx
We all fall short. If you're able to rise above, you've won one for the day, bud.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Back on the laptop! Okay, I know how to use the app if I need to send an SOS.
Delly, it ain't that hard, even an old coot like myself can work a smartphone -- c'mon now.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
I'm thinking about getting an eye patch like a sailor ! And cussing like a sailor! Ha ! If my eye's not better tomorrow I think I go to eye doctor. Light bothers it a whole lot. Red red too.
Hurts when I move it! On to my laptop before I go blind on SR!
If you need help learning how to cuss, shoot me a pm ... I'm giving this forum's filters some lessons.