Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I think I've been posting on the wrong thread for a week, tells you something about my current mental functioning.
day 17, spent last two days basically in bed, hiding from the world and filed with anxiety. AA meetings have saved me. Have a prospective sponsor who made sure I got to work today. had breakfast, and a whole sandwich at lunch!! Maybe I can finally stop wasting away. Going to try to get the motivation to go to the the gym latter.

I've had a couple of good days in the past 17, but they were followed by a crash the next day. We'll see, one day at a time...
Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illi1111 View Post
Sunflowerlife-

I get it. I have a two year that is into everything! You are doing an awesome job! Becoming sober while parenting a small child is unbelievable hard. The isolation and monotony of everyday life were a huge factor for my drinking. It's funny when you try to tell someone how bad your day was because of simple things the kids did. It never sounds as bad but when its happening its insanity.

It really sounds like you need a break. If your tank is empty it's impossible and painful to give your kids what they need. Is there anyway your husband can watch the kids while you get a couple hours of you time? Sometimes you just need a breather and it all becomes much easier. ((Hugs))
Thank you. I may see if I can escape to the gym this evening when DH gets home. I am just not usually the type to work out in the evenings. I do have some errands to run so maybe I'll do that instead. Thanks again for the empathy...
Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Jim, congrats on 17 days! So glad you are enjoying AA and have found a sponsor, sounds like it is really helping you
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Day 6 and just this moment I had my first craving. It came out of absolutely nowhere. I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened. So I'm coming here to read (what normal drinkers don't do) until it passes (it's already going away just by "talking" about it. Thank you SR.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Sorry Lulu, hope your day improves. I need some rewiring myself but haven't been working on it. Instead of meditating when I get up I have been playing online and spending too much time here!
Do you have any coping mechanisms for days like these? For me I find keeping busy helps. Like cleaning, laundry, going for walks.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDBnSLC View Post
Day 6 and just this moment I had my first craving. It came out of absolutely nowhere. I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened. So I'm coming here to read (what normal drinkers don't do) until it passes (it's already going away just by "talking" about it. Thank you SR.
Yes, it will pass. The cravings always pass (which is the good part.) Good for you for checking in here!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Day 3. I got a mailer from a big local gym that when I scratched it off says I won a free year's membership. I'm sure there's a catch. I'm going over to talk to them in a while. If it's not free, I'll have to pass. Not enough extra cash sitting around for gym membership, although I suspect it would help. I'm not in very good shape.

If you're having cravings, keep posting. I've battled a few. It's so cunning. Really trying to identify the root causes in all this. It takes time, I know. I don't know where I'd be without this site.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
Have a prospective sponsor who made sure I got to work today. had breakfast, and a whole sandwich at lunch!!
Jim, he sounds like a keeper! That is very cool. I am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time of it, but happy that you are building support.

You can do this. Heck, you are doing this!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Lulu , Jim I hope this finds you, having a little better of a day.
I'm also hearing and feeling the young children vibe, LOUD and clear. I have a 2 yr old and 7 yr old. At home, 17 yr old w ith his mother in a different city. All boys.
The 2 youngest absolutely overwhelm their mother, in her hurting times.
My 2 yr old is a strong, hardheaded knucklehead like me, so it's just hard, period.
I keep up the laundry, dishes, housecleaning, and look after the boys between the 2 jobs, as best I can.
It ain't easy , lol
Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to handle a daughter, now, seeing the pain a daddy's girl goes through during and after his passing. My father died when I was 14, 30 yrs ago. I know time heals. You hold on to the good, simply because it matters far more than the bad. Just my observation.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thank you Sunflower. Made it through. Those suckers just come outta nowhere!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Just over 3 weeks sober and i really feel good now, just about caught up on my sleep too. Been out running, biking etc and eaten nothing but fruit vegetables , meat and plenty of water.
Id forgot how good this sober living felt. Really gonna go for it this time and im happy to say so far so good.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Day 20 and my AV won last night. It was a short lived victory for my AV though. I poured a glass of wine, took one sip, yeuch. Took another... Nope, don't like this, poured it away and emptied the bottle down the sink.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Day 20 and my AV won last night. It was a short lived victory for my AV though. I poured a glass of wine, took one sip, yeuch. Took another... Nope, don't like this, poured it away and emptied the bottle down the sink.
Oh no... But yay for tipping it away. Well done you. I did the exact same thing last time I went through this hence why I don't have any alcohol in the house this time.

I think you can count this as a win.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

LoopyLou, That is a huge win. Huge! Congratulations!!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by illi1111 View Post
Sunflowerlife-

I get it. I have a two year that is into everything! You are doing an awesome job! Becoming sober while parenting a small child is unbelievable hard. The isolation and monotony of everyday life were a huge factor for my drinking. It's funny when you try to tell someone how bad your day was because of simple things the kids did.

It really sounds like you need a break. If your tank is empty it's impossible and painful to give your kids what they need. Is there anyway your husband can watch the kids while you get a couple hours of you time? Sometimes you just need a breather and it all becomes much easier. ((Hugs))
I have a 2 year old also and I basically missed most of that time because of my addiction. Dumb stuff like rushing bedtime so that I could get back to my beloved bottle. It also meant that when my wife needed the time out I was selfish about it as it interfered with my drinking time... I've neglected both of them.

I have another on the way, so the three of them are my primary motivation for ditching the drink properly this time.

Definitely concur with everyone needing some "me" time but I think people sometimes feel guilty for it... Which is crazy!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Oh no... But yay for tipping it away. Well done you. I did the exact same thing last time I went through this hence why I don't have any alcohol in the house this time.

I think you can count this as a win.
Thanks MAV, I'm dissapointed I gave in, and know that another time, or had it been vodka I would finish the bottle, but proud of the fact I didn't enjoy it so tipped it. 😊
Old 01-21-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

KDB, great job on getting through that craving! My last go at sobriety (Nov/Dec), I had a craving come out of nowhere that nearly floored me. I actually decided to buy wine while in the grocery store, mind made up. For some reason, I kept going up and down the aisles and never even ventured to the alcohol section. My AV was throwing a tantrum at the checkout, I even contemplated stopping at a liquor store on the way home, but didn’t. Once home, I was so relieved!

It did catch me off guard after 3 weeks; it won’t happen again!

Dang Loopylou, I’d chalk that up to a victory for you! You did good.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Thanks MAV, I'm dissapointed I gave in, and know that another time, or had it been vodka I would finish the bottle, but proud of the fact I didn't enjoy it so tipped it. 😊
Defo... We all have those weak moments... Point is you came out the right side of it. You 1, AV 0.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Mav-Nail on the head

[QUOTE=MAV;5753600]I have a 2 year old also and I basically missed most of that time because of my addiction. Dumb stuff like rushing bedtime so that I could get back to my beloved bottle. It also meant that when my wife needed the time out I was selfish about it as it interfered with my drinking time... I've neglected both of them.

Mav, I know your place well. I have a 2 and 1 year old. When I was drinking towards the end, it was all I could do to not pass out most nights, leaving my wife with 2 babies. Since then, I am actually parenting with her. Pretty cool stuff, but so damn regretful of the time missed.