Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 24

Old 02-06-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You just reminded me of a chesie we had when I was a teen. Poor guy, he came walking over a hill in the yard one day, looked like a bear ... so I named him bear. We live out in the country and we were sure someone abandoned him, you could see signs of abuse, bad abuse. He was a wonderful dog for us but we had to get rid of him because he was SO over protective. He attacked a neighbor kid who came over to hang out and goof around.

I hope he found a good home.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I know that must be hard UP, Stone sounds like a great dog! .I have my own guilty feelings about care given my pets too but I simply have to let it go. I am down to one cat now & will not get anymore animals until I can financially afford their care....it's not cheap. Be kind to yourself about this Up. Definitely try the breathing....I can never go back to sleep once I'm awake & that put me out! I'm also practicing the mindfulness & think it
will be a big help.

Sounds like Shilo was a great Dog TS.....they are something! Hope you have a good night at work. What are you going to use the buckets for?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

All is well here Top - actually a bit cool for this time of year now

25 Celsius sure beats 35

D
Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

That's some nice weather Dee !!

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post

What are you going to use the buckets for?
Freein had asked earlier about the containers I planned on using for vegetable plants. Re: the log bases,...so I dn't have to bend over to weed. lo
A local woman in the country ( a professional landscaper) suggested the container garden idea, ...as a common, effective approach.
If I can't fence out the deer,....all bets are off. Any plants I've tried in the past get destroyed. They nibble them to the dirt !
Every night I see at least 2 or three deer not 200 yards from home ,....some mornings at dawn they're outside the bedroom window grazing around. This is a tourist destination, so the town long ago restricted discharging firearms.
Whenever the deer population gets too thick , I think the animal rights folks still demand they get shot with sleepy darts and get relocated. The first time the Town decided to cull the population in the earlier 90's created quite the controversy. There was a giant hullabaloo about murdering Bambi.
Some clever homeowners in the gated communities actually keep feed out in stone bird baths so the deer forego their decorative foliage !
You see most folks wrapping their precious plants with all manner of fencing,....it sorta blows the whole idea of " beautiful " decorative plants ( and then wrapping the plants with ugly makeshift fencing )

vegetative visual dissonance

Hilarious
Inland , where a new deer hunting season is eagerly anticipated,..... the locals can't imagine deer living very long showing up every other day munching down. Their only natural predator here on the island is the panther and gator,....and the panther's long gone from decades of development.

Wow, ... this is my hump day,...and less than 2 hours to go ! Storming like mad out there right now.

Hot tub's gonna feel great tonight !
Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You will need a tall fence top. Deer can really jump, I've heard of them clearing 8' fence.
Have you tried any of the non-chemical deterrents? There are many on the web, not sure if any of them work. I'm sure it is a tough job, I'm guessing that the deer aren't really afraid of humans there.

Enjoy the hot tub.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You know how they say curiosity killed the cat, glad I'm not a cat.
Now, what part of Australia are you in Dee? You don't have to answer or be specific, I was just curious and it's a big continent.

Morning free. :waves:
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in Queensland Up

D
Old 02-07-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi all, hope it's been a good day for everyone.
It's been a tiring one here, emotionally as well as physically. I do want to help support my parents, but sometimes I just want to get up late on a Sunday and mooch about a bit. This mood will pass soon, I know. They're managing as well as can be expected.

A bit of Aussie sunshine wouldn't go amiss, it's been raining for long enough, I want to see the golden thing in the sky again! Can you spare a few rays Dee?

Think I'll relax by the piano for a while.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

free
I can understand how tough that can be. I'm guessing that you don't have any siblings, at least none close, that could help out?
Also, you will really appreciate this time you spent with them in the future. Never miss an opportunity to tell them that you love them, if you miss the last opportunity it will haunt you, trust me.
I'm not crazy about sharing this out in the open but, my mother died a little over 5 years ago. We never expressed our feelings growing up. I don't remember her telling me that she loved me and I don't remember me saying it to her, I'm not saying that it was never said but, I don't remember. I know that she loved me and I hope that she knew that I loved her. The last day that I saw her alive, as I was leaving, something inside told me to tell her that I love her but I ignored it. I'll always wonder if she knew that I loved her.
Anyway .... don't pass up that opportunity.

It really looks beautiful down there Dee. Enjoy your beautiful weather.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Up....I'm sure she knew you loved her if you haven't already, it might be healing to go to her place of rest & tell her now.

Hope you see the sunshine soon Freein....the "gloom" can sure get to you after awhile. Your a good daughter & im sure your parents look forward to your visits.

Overcast but not raining here today & I could care less about the super bowl, so I may will myself outside to do some yard work. Bought a yellow, red & white primrose to plant over kitty's resting place.

Other than a high fence, I have no suggestions for keeping the deer out of the garden TS....maybe you should train those ferril cats to stand guard & earn their keep?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I did that before Mariah. I really have to work at letting things go.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Me too Up
Old 02-07-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I could I'd share it guys

I'm sorry for your loss UP.

D
Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thanks Dee
Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Ok, who else is looking forward to the Secret Life of Pets movie?

Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I am Up!! Grandson & I saw the previews for it at the theatre last summer & just saw today it doesn't come out until July...looks like a good one!

If I could have bottled some up today Freein, I would send you some Sun. A beautiful day & I worked in the yard which did me good for sure! Went to my Moms for a bit today as Sis & Brother & Niece & Nephews were watching the game down there so got to see everyone for a bit.

Hope everyone has a good week
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

UP, thank you for those thoughtful and wise words. I totally agree, these days are precious. I'm sorry to hear you lost your Mum a few years ago.

Mariah, it's good to hear that the sun is still shining somewhere, glad you could get out in the garden today. I've woken up to stormy weather this morning. I thought that the electric was off, but it looks like it's just the plugs that are cut off. Maybe a fuse or just a reboot needed.

I don't think I've ever seen super bowl, but it's obviously a popular sport. I'll see if I can check it out on the internet later. Football (soccer) is the thing round here. My OH is a lifelong Everton fan. He used to go to matches with his dad when he was a child living in Liverpool. I'm hoping to get tickets for a big match for his birthday this year, but it's not that easy. Seems like the whole world want tickets, so the only seats left are those with limited views (and I don't fancy spending 2 hours standing behind a pillar, wondering who's got the ball).

Mariah, I think you're on to something with your Ninja cat idea, that could definitely work. I bet Tops is on it already, rallying the feline troops as we speak.

Have a great start to the week everyone.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Ahhh, just saw the trailer of the secret life of pets! Very cute.

Tops, to answer your earlier question, we would love to have a dog one day, but it would be tricky while we're working. There are "doggy day care" facilities around, which could be an option, but it would end up quite expensive. I do love cats, but we have a "kill nothing" policy in our home, and I'm not sure a cat would abide by the house rules, unless we could find one with an interest in Zen. I could put an ad out maybe?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Freein, ...from my experience , y'all are doing the right thing to hold off on a dog until you're able to be around the house more. It'll be a wonderful bonus whenever that happens though !!

Up, ...it's so true about the deer leaping high fences, ...and another surprising thing I've witnessed is how the small ones can slip under a 12" section so easily at the bottom of the fence. My fence ( actually the neighboring property owner's fence ) ,....is a nice 7' solid wooden privacy fence. It'll be more cost effective to close the points of access,.... rather than build a separate fence around the garden area.

I've looked into designing a motorized gate, ...but the ones I've studied are surprisingly complex. I was thinking something along the lines of a garage door opener motor.

If I have to go with a manual wide gate initially for the truck, that'll be fine , since I plan on building a 44" wide gate also. It'll work fine coming and going on the scooter without dismounting . I come and go now without dismounting from inside the shop with a 42" door.

My only thought is the unwelcoming visual of a closed gate,.....maybe a nice welcome sign would offset that ! Possibly another sign with a red circle and diagonal line through it with a deer silhouette would be good too ( as a sort of explanation )

Possibly run a few lines with a bit of low voltage juice ,..... along with a motion activated exterior spotlight may be something effective around the small garden area. Have a gut feeling these deer may be pretty tenacious, once they get a whiff of something yummy.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

How's everyone doing ?

Back in a new week we go !