Better luck next time Up

D
Old 01-14-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

AUSTRALIA.........

FRIDAY.........

at the desk....
all is well!

Adna: Baby is really well, happy and healthy. Now coming to 9 months. She has 3 teeth, so I'm calling her Fang...! We're very lucky, she really is great. I love her more than anything in this world, and she is now the main reason I stay sober. Being a father now has opened my eyes to my own father and his father etc... The alcohol problems are stopping with me......I tend to worry a fraction too much, especially about the future... have to keep trying to aware to get out of my head....looking at your feet helps...!

Mariah & Dee: Australia is deadly. I have an allergic reaction to jumping jack (an ant) ants....... Has twice put me in hospital with severe reaction. So imagine what the snakes and spiders are like........

Up: I never win anything aside from occassionally coming first on a new thread here, I now know this, so I would have bought a can of coke instead.....which would also result as a loss...!

IN FOR THE BARGAIN....

HOPE ALL ARE WELL.......

stay tuned..................
Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Little Girls love their Daddys in for the bargain
Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Little Girls love their Daddys in for the bargain
Not always but .... que sera sera

I'm sure your little girl will always love you obo.

I know that I did plenty of stuff to hurt their feelings over the years and they only remember that, and their mother let's them do whatever they want.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah the ants are not great Obo
Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

See ... even the ants down there try to kill you.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Adna, ...great idea getting an early start on spring cleaning ! Creating more time for the real . fun stuff when the weather gets nice again.

Obo,.... you're the luckiest guy in HK to be sober these early years with Anna. The upside is yoooge .

Having spent most of the seventies obsessed with playing tennis,....Australia is easily my favorite place in the world this time of year!
We're freezing our *ss off and y'all routinely have heat advisories some years suspending play at the Open ( in just 4 days ! woo-hoooooo ! ) . Monster bugs aside,.... Melbourne looks dreamy hot !!!!

Mariah,.... are you going door to door with the intro's and new cards ? There's statistical surety in the exercise,...... some may imagine it old fashioned, but; .... good ! so are cleaning services. Nothings out of bounds swimming sober in the deep water !?!

Enjoy it while you can I say. Once you're sweating it out later meeting deadlines, ...you'll reminisce fondly of chatting it up with friendly folks in a nice office way back when.

Freein, don't you wish there was a way,...any way at all, to dial up flying dreams !?! They are beyond, ,....beyond !!!

What's strange, is I'd still be a scaredy cat for the opportunity to try an ultra light. It'd have to be a 2 seater with pontoons, a really wide river.....and someone else flying the dang thing .

Up,.... I did. not. have. a single. number ,...of 6 ! That seems kind of hard to do. Apparently not.
Should admit that I abhor gambling. ,....just for myself.
Not other people gambling,....it seems like some folks have a great time doing it without abuse. Eerily similar to drinking, now that I think of it.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Killer ants too!
Our wildlife is very gentle in comparison. I wonder if the cold weather makes everything a bit more "chilled"?
Everyone curls up and goes to sleep for 6 months, it's just us humans that feel we ought to keep up some kind of presence in the country. Not sure why, I think I'd be quite good at hibernating.

I'm in for the Bargain too!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

They are still so young yet Up....I do believe they will come around someday...just keep moving forward & create a life for yourself that you deserve! We're human, we make mistakes & everyone deserves to be forgiven, if not by those we've hurt, from ourself.

No TS, I have done nothing this week but hold up here at home feeling frozen to do anything. I was hoping the property management co I worked for last week would keep me busy enough, but they have not called. I know I am charging more than their current cleaner but I know from working the front desk there, he does not do a very good job & I feel my fee is very competitive with other cleaners, using my own supplies & it is hard, dirty work & I won't do it for any less. I am willing myself to get out today & take some action. Have a shut off notice for the water so will go take care of that.

I'm just tired of things....wanted to drink over things earlier this week & took an anabuse, which takes that off the table, maybe go to a meeting this afternoon.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Mariah, it's early days yet, it will take a bit of time to build up a client base. Remember baby steps, just keep moving in the right direction. Have you managed to sort out the garage and set up on your sons work bench yet? Has he noticed that where there once was a clamp, there is now a tin of paper clips?

We've just arrived back from an emergency visit to my parents. My Mum went missing for a few hours, it was dark and very cold, so of course we were worried. All's well now, she arrived home safe and sound just before we got there. Thank goodness.

Ready for a restful weekend.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I was thinking that it's late for you free. I'm glad that everything is ok, must have been very stressful on you.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

So glad that your Mom is home & safe. That would have been very heart wrenching for sure.

I did get out today & feel better. Went & talked to an insurance agent & found out a little bit more of what I need to do. Paid the water bill & went & played with Grandsons for awhile.....got to hold the wee one who talked & smiled at me

I
Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

What a scary situation Freein, ....so glad everything's good now !

Mariah,...your pricing is fine , ...nothing to worry about there. It took me five tries before I was able to operate a service business successfully. Some important concepts came from several books I finally. thought might be a good idea to read.

One thing I learned is that a single operator you are at a big disadvantage to established larger companies. That weakness can be overcome though,....many successful businesses have done it before. One strength you have is your ability to change course rapidly,....being nimble . Large companies can't do that !
One example is your hitting businesses as a temporary salesperson,...... don't worry if you've no experience as a professional salesperson. That is actually an advantage !!! Many people feel at ease speaking to the person doing the actual work,....and are put off with slick sales pitches, .....to sell other people working. The customer realizes the commission of the salesperson, ...plus the profit of the business "owner" is built in the price in that scenario. With you, ...there's none of that !!
Even if that outfit you did a couple jobs for kept you a little busy,....that won't help your co. ( you, in this case ) build a expanding client base for the future. More clients will give you better stability in cash flow . Think of it, depending on a single business is risky as h*ll !?

If you find a start-up a miserable experience in 6 months or a year, ...at least you will know you gave it your best shot. That you were willing to do absolutely everything humanly possible to make it succeed. As they say in the Big Book ,...."half measures availed us nothing "
Stats show a 90% failure within 24 months for start-ups. I don't mean to create fear by writing that, ...just know what a herculean task you're undertaking. Something you can be very proud of , no matter which way it turns out !?!

Your strong , your nimble, and your sober,....that's a winning combination right there !!

Keep it Simple ,...Keep the Faith

( and keep a shoebox full of every .last 2016 expense reciept for later )
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Wow, that's great advice Tops. I'm getting excited just reading your post. It makes me want to give it go too. Sounds like you've had a lot of experience with business start ups yourself. I'm interested to know which books you found the most helpful, can you remember their titles?

Thank you all for your kind words about my Mum. I love the fact we can share and hear about each other's lives. We are all so different, and yet we have such a close connection.

It's been a lovely day here, the fact I had lay in this morning might have been a contributing factor. Even managed to clean the car, ready for my trip back down to my parents tomorrow.

No complaints at all here.

Love to you all.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Yes, it is great advice TS & I appreciate it. I think the biggest heartle is the negative stuff that goes on in my head.

I pulled out the family history book last night & read for a few hours...nothing like reading what adversities our Great Grandparents faced to "snap" me out of my slump. woke feeling anxious again this am, got myself ready, dressed warm, grabbed an umbrella & Grandaughter dog & took her for a long walk, stopped by & visited my Mom, came home & went on an outing with Son.

Hope you had a good day Free....love you too
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Freein, ...it was 25 years ago,.... I'm lucky to remember what I read two years ago anymore !?!
pitiful,....

Mariah,....I have no advise,...and you know what they say about free advise anyway,.....it's worth just about that !? ,...absolutely nothing
Sobriety helped me in every way in those early days

Pretty sure I learned about the business end by trial and error,...mostly error ,......def. the hard way,

.....Remember more than a few "ah ha " moments when I finally decided to read some books on start ups. I'd assumed all I had to do was be really .good at what I was doing ,....in my case , decorative leaded glass.

But no..oooo , lo and behold , there are some business principles that apply across nearly every surviving operation,....whether folks know'm or not.
For me, micro operations have always been a fascination. To be honest, ...more than a few profitable operations often seem inequitable for the employees. ( imho )

Mariah. .....I was always starting a business " on a shoestring" as they say. Witnessing others doing the same thing I did repeatedly over the years,...and like me , failing again and again,...was a real eye opener.

What I had to remind myself of the first two years,...was , " this madness isn't going to be forever " ,.... and sure enough, once the hard part was over , it became easier ,....more " manageable" I guess.

In retrospect, my biggest hurdle was the depression from trying,......... and working , and working , and still no relief from the endless barrage of bills ( expenses ) coming my way.
Not at first , of course , but they caught up to me every. single. time.

Paying bills late caused a lot of unnecessary self inflicted grief over a period of 7 years. Never saw it as "self inflicted" at the time.
At my wits end one fall, ...it occured to me that if, by magic, I had a reasonable sum of money in the bank ( say , 3k ) ....and truly .
convinced myself that number was, in fact zero,....I could stumble through like I'd been doing and it would be impossible to ever feel the constant stress. It wasn't like I'd ever beat anyone out of a buck,....my bills always got paid ,...eventually.
Late fees and all.

The feeling of living "on the edge" will wear down even the strongest people eventually. It sure did me in,....... more than once.

When I started reading those first books , ...one thing they all mentioned was " the major cause of business failure was undercapitalization. ( ie,.... having enough money to get through one year ) ,.....I thought, "dang, no wonder ,.....
I never even had enough money to get through one and half months all these years
!!
lo

Mariah,....my hat's off to anyone disciplined enough, ....to dive into a start up "on a shoestring" ,....gutsy, shows true pioneer spirit !!

It's a far cry from making money the old fashioned way

,........inherit it !

Or *work for the man* ....like the rest of us schmucks !?!
Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Not gutsy, it's just all I've got I did inherit a great sense of humor though & for that I am very Grateful

You working tonight TS? What are you up to Up?

I just finished watching the documentary "Something's wrong with Aunt Diane" about the Mother/Aunt that drove the mini van with her two kids & nieces the wrong wAy on a freeway about 8 years ago & crashed head on to a SUV, killing everyone in the van except her little boy & 3 men in an SUV. They found her blood alcohol was .19 & highs levels of THC & a bottle of vodka in the van. Tragic. The husband & those close to her said she didn't drink.....she was the perfect Mom. I have always suspected that as her Niece called her Dad before the accident & told him that something was wrong with her, that she knew she was going to be "found out" & in her intoxicated state, did what she did. As I watched the documentary tonight, I think so even more.

Freein, safe travels to your parents. that must have been scary for your dad too.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

At least you were brave enough to try top.

Hopefully things will work out Mariah.

Have a good day with your parents free.

Me? I'm just trying to make it through each day. Wondering how to turn my life around, the little bit of money I inherited I was stupid and wasted.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

UP, since sobriety, the next best thing thats helped turn my life around is exercise, it is a game changer. Just 30 minutes a day, every day. It puts your head in a better spot to make good decisions, and gives you energy and motivation to follow through.

Do you know exactly what changes you would like to make? Half the battle for me is being clear about my goals. It's hard to make any progress if your vision is vague. Lots can happen in a year, just through small, daily habits - the compound effect.

It's an interesting principle, I'm using it to see how far I can get with my piano practice this year. Just tiny targets each day.

I'd love to know what you're working towards? In fact we could all have a mastermind group here to support each other with our various projects. Not sure how mastermind groups work, but I've heard they're very "in" at the moment.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I think maybe my vision is to vague. I will have to try and sit down sometime when my mood isn't acting up and try to plan out a path to my vision. Without convincing myself that it's unachievable.