Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Double Post

Last edited by DrakeCKC; 01-05-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-05-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Too funny.

A pasty is a folded pastry case with a savoury filling, typically of seasoned meat and vegetables.

It doesn't fit in with the other vegetables in the silly saying.
I looked up the origin of 'nasty pasty...", but I still have no idea how it came about.

It's British I think ~ my mum came fully loaded with the best sayings and poems.
Oh, okay. Google led me astray.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning Overs
Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

V the lorikeets are absolutely gorgeous and they fly free, not trapped! Many beautiful birds in this country are trapped in cages! Love to see them flying free.

Pasties, mmmmmm. We used to make Cornish pasty at school it had meat, potato and veg, a wholesome meal on its own with lashings of gravy! It's only 5.55 am and I'm drooling over pasty. Better get used to your porridge with prunes, girl (left over from Xmas). Do you know, I think I'm gonna make some pasties, I haven't done it for a long time.

Wolfie, not too long before our big bird watch, I'm sure you've got plenty of food on hand , the birds tell each other, it's like their Christmases all come at once, they come out in for force.

I've been anxious the last few days, I thought I was stressed but I now recognise it as anxiety. I have nothing really to be nxious about unless my brain is hiding it from me. I'm waking up anxious but can't figure why. If I go to docs they'll just pump me with more tabs. Thinking about it, it may be these tabs I've been taking, though I've stopped it may be a kind of withdrawal as I've taken them quite a lot in last year, predisinone, 6 - 8 a day! Phew! Bound to do something to my brain even if they help me breathe. I guess meditation might be good for me at this time.

It's that day again! Have a great Wednesday, friends. Speak soon.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

For sure Mags, stopping any medication can really affect us.
I'm sure your doctor is in top of this, but it doesn't hurt to let him/her know you are feeling this way.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Venus might be onto something Mags. Whenever I'm out of sorts I usually find a change on my meds.

Pasties forever !

D
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The only pasties I'm familiar with are the ones worn in some of your classier "gentlemen's clubs" (or so I've been told)

Have a great hump-day, overs!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

FBL, get your mind out of the gutter

Mags, sorry you are feeling anxiety. Prednisone does that to me, too - nasty stuff and yet a lifesaver at the same time. I've never heard the word "lashings" used in the context of gravy ... it sounds like my education has been sadly deficient.

V kitty, how are you doing? I think you are better off without the oaf though anytime we feel rejected is painful. Those birds are gorgeous.

GHD, Dr Google often leads us astray.

Drake, omg, food from across the pond to be found in middle America?!

IP, RZ, Toots, Itchy, Grace and all the rest of you have a lovely day.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Whenever I'm out of sorts I usually find a good eats!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

It's cold. That is all.
Have a grrreat hump day Overs.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good afternoon dear OvertheUndies and a happy ‘top of the hill’ day to you all. I hope to find you all well and happy. It’s 13.45 here and the sun is actually making an appearance, it was a bit foggy and damp this morning, but it’s much more cheerful now. I didn’t get much sleep last night because I coughed, coughed, coughed all night! Pay back time to my husband lol! Everyone I know seems to have a cough or a cold right now. I took my mum to the Crematorium this morning, believe it or not it’s the first time we’ve been since my dad passed away and it was something we needed to do. I was dreading it but it was okay, better than I though, we put his name in the book of remembrance, which is lovely and put some flowers and a little stone robin on his plot. I think my mum feels better for going too. It would be his 84th birthday tomorrow, bless him. I’m sorry to keep talking about him and I’ll try not to keep on about him too much, it’s just that I need to get it off my chest sometimes. My two youngest grandchildren are going to a Pantomime with their school this afternoon so I’ve got an extra hour before picking them up. The oldest one who’s 8, is somewhere on the Asperger’s spectrum and has a phobia of panto’s so he’s with his other grandmother.

Hope you’ve recovered from oversleeping Saskia, I hate doing that, it makes me feel groggy all day. Hope your finger tips have recovered too. xx

I.P I bet those chickadees enjoyed their breakfast all the more this morning. Squirrels are very clever and I bet he’ll soon figure out how to get the food out of the feeders. You’re very lucky having blue jays, we certainly don’t get them here and I’ve never even heard of whiskeyjacks. -8F sounds a bit cold, hope your car started. I don’t cold very well, I’d probably be in hospital with hypothermia, wrapped in a foil blanket!! Where is you dog, is he in quarentine or something? Bet he’ll be excited to see you again.

Those Lorikeets are absolutely stunning V.C, I’ve never heard of them before, what magnificent colours. We’ve got a little parakeet and I’m currently trying to teach him to talk, not very successfully though, mind you he’s still very young yet. I’ve got him eating out of my hand now but it’s slow going, good thing I have lots of patience. Can’t believe I read that you are on a diet!!! On the pics I’ve seen of you, you’re a right skinny Minnie. Wish I was as slim as you. Those pasties look like they’ve just been bought from a shop here!

GroundhogDay, your findings on nasty pasty have really made me laugh out loud. To be honest, although I say it, I haven’t a clue what it really means. I just thought it was a polite way of telling someone how horrible they are! Don’t know where the soy bean comes in to it, that’s a new one on me! Glad you were productive with your report, I bet you felt better for making good progress with it.

Mmmm, fish, chips and lashings of malt vinegar, I could just eat some. Drake you’ve made me hungry. A double post is better than 3 lost posts!!!

Good afternoon SoberWolf, I hope you’re keeping an eye on those birds!

Mags, I can relate to anxiety attacks, they’re horrible, but you’re right it could be withdrawal from the meds you’ve been on. I agree with V.C, it may be worth just mentioning it to your doctor.

I’m confused now F.B.L, how can you wear a pasty??

I like your remedy for when you’re out of sorts Rusty!

Anyway, I’d better go and spray some furniture polish round before my husband comes home so that he thinks I’ve been cleaning up, lol.

Love to you all and take care.

Gxxxx
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

PS-I remember Australia having some pretty amazing meat pies. They are not really a thing in Canada.

"I’m confused now F.B.L, how can you wear a pasty??"---that's an awkward question now isn't it FBL?

Grace I share custody of my dog with my ex, we trade him off every two months (which is gradually lengthening every time as we are both greedy.) I KNOW how ridiculous that sounds. It's too cold right now for the local airline to fly him. And the bigger airlines are expensive. It's frustrating!

Oh I had a Pine Grosbeak couple in my yard yesterday! I was excited, never seen them before. The jays are beautiful but noisy. It's weird that the squirrel hasn't gotten into it yet! He certainly chases the larger birds away as though he owns it!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ahhh, the inaugural meeting of OOPS I see. ( Overs Ornithology and Pasty Society) count me in. Not so much the birdies, we get plenty here, but I'm not much of a fancier. Pasties on the other hand, I like. The Cornish Pasty was allegedly designed with a crimped rim, easy to grab hold of with dirty hands, leaving the rest of the pie edible. It was taken down the mines by Cornish tin miners. Pasties of the gentlemans club variety are not designed for grubby hands to handle. Men have been slapped for attempting to do so.
I hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Happy Hump Day all!!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can't wait Mags we even have a squirrel that visits I love birds so much Mrs sw loves it too

Just watching a new David Attenborough doc part 2/3 on the great barrier reef it looks beautiful apparently there will be a whale featured that seeks out human contact reminds me of cast away

9.05pm having a cuppa then off to bed soon
Old 01-06-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
The only pasties I'm familiar with are the ones worn in some of your classier "gentlemen's clubs" (or so I've been told)

And toots....

Goodnight wolfie love. ♥

Hope everyone is having a good night/day.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

The other half has gone to bed early so I'm another little dabble here.

F.B.L I googled the alternative meaning of pasty and well, what can I say, I'm gobsmacked!

Thanks for explaining about the situation with your dog I.P. I didn't mean to pry, I thought he must have been in quarantine or something with you moving recently. I've never heard of Pine Grosbeaks, they sound intriguing.

I think you've cleared up lots of confusion there Toots, lol. I'm quite partial to a pasty myself, especially cheese and onion ones. It's great to see you still posting here by the way.

It's good that both you and Mrs S.W enjoy watching the birds, can't beat a joint interest. Have a good nights sleep.

Have a good day yourself V.C, I'm just having a cup of tea whilst I'm perusing round S.R then I'm off to bed too, so night night. xx

Have a good day too Dee.

I'll be back.

Gxxxx
Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Ha, toots. You funny.

Venus I love your Hemingway quote.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Lol, toots! Yes, in the states we typically don't know much about the pastry pasty. One time I was driving around Lake Michigan, and couldn't believe there seemed to be strip clubs everywhere!

Then I married a Yorkshire lass... I had my first pasty in a "Cornish Pasty" shop up in Keswick. It was supposed to be broccoli, cheddar and sweet corn. It had a little dried up broccoli dust, and was really gross. It was also my last pasty. Blech!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
I didn’t get much sleep last night because I coughed, coughed, coughed all night! Pay back time to my husband lol! Everyone I know seems to have a cough or a cold right now.
My husband has a lingering cough after a bad cold. I'm ready to smother him with a pillow. I had a bad cold myself a couple of weeks ago.

So, I've learned another British expression from you all. "Lashings" of gravy or malt vinegar. If it weren't for the Internet, we wouldn't be able to understand each other across the Pond after about another 1,000 years.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

So I am making Jambalaya, a "simpler" one skillet recipe, not my three day long version. Anyway, it is so strange what can trigger you to think of drinking, even after nearly three years. I so thought I should have a glass of wine as the Jambalaya simmered away. Like I used to when I was preparing Mardi Gras feasts.

Cunning and baffling... yep.