Notices

One Year & Over Part 33

Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Yes. I know what you mean Drake.
There is still one dish that I no longer make, because every time I think of cooking it, I see myself drinking wine as I do my preparations.

I realised after my relapse (was going to say last year, but ha! it was the year before, yay) that food is inextricably linked to my alcoholism.

But that's just me.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes. I know what you mean Drake. There is still one dish that I no longer make, because every time I think of cooking it, I see myself drinking wine as I do my preparations. I realised after my relapse (was going to say last year, but ha! it was the year before, yay) that food is inextricably linked to my alcoholism. But that's just me.
Overindulgence with food and alcoholic drink both seem to come out of he same place in my head. I can quit drinking alcohol but still have to eat. The only difference for me is that food doesn't make my life unmanageable but alcohol does.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have dishes I make that can trigger me, too. But the worst Is while grilling or smoking something in the smoker. Lots of alcohol associations there. But I grab a sparking water and it passes. I've also had to learn to modify or just not make anything that calls for wine. I know the alcohol cooks off, but I'm not about to buy a bottle to cook with.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, totally agree! My last relapse was over cooking with wine. My partner wanted a certain dish, it called for wine. I bought a 4 pack of little bottles, used one in the dish and had her hide the rest. No problem. So of course I decided to make another dish I'd missed, Asked j for another little bottle to cook with. No problem. That went on for a couple of weeks.

Of course I started obsessing about cooking with wine again, and drank what I was cooking with shortly after that.

This time, I've been careful not to cook with wine. Until this past thanksgiving, I was making dish a few nights later and remembered some wine that was leftover. I was thinking it would be nice to use real wine to deglaze instead of my cider vinegar trick.

I have to admit, it was delicious. And it didn't trigger me. But I sure wasn't about to go on a cooking spree again! So I can probably cook with wine occasionally again, but not gonna make a habit of it.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

This did not have wine in it at all actually. As the joke went, I always cook with wine, sometimes I put in what I am cooking. That was me.

Strange is that I have cooked with wine (no respectable veal or chicken piccata sauce is right with out it) and have not been tempted at all. When I cooked my Mardi Gras feasts, I just opened a bottle and away I went.

Such is the nature of the beast. Maybe I should stick to pasties!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

I haven't tried cooking with alcohol since I got sober. I have several recipes that call for vermouth or wine, and I am not a fan of substitutes. So far, the only recipe I have used that calls for alcohol is French onion soup (vermouth and brandy). My husband and I made it the other day without the alcohol and it tasted just fine.

If I do cook with alcohol in future, I will need to pour out whatever is left over immediately. I would hate to risk getting drunk off vermouth.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

GHD you're good with the one liners eh. Thanks for two good laughs tonight!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

Enjoyed reading all your pontifications this morning. You're a great bunch.

Weather is chucking it down here, apparently we've got it for the week.

Have a good Thursday. Speak soon.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Back in my early days on SR, I read some questions about cooking with alcohol. I believe it was Dee who posted some info on that. If I remember correctly, not all of the alcohol necessarily disappears. In my case, I simply can't risk it. So when they have dishes cooked with alcohol here at the old folks' home I always skip them. Luckily they are clearly labeled.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yeah, I don't want to alarm any of you foodies, but I think it was Dee that posted about not all the alcohol being burned off whilst cooking. Luckily, I'm a basic meat and potatoes kinda guy and never eat anything cooked with alcohol, even during my drinking days.

Drake's mention of Jambalaya put me in mind of the late, great (drunk) Hank Williams Sr:

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs
Old 01-07-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy and Fbl I read a thread where Dee had posted for someone asking about cooking with alcohol and he put a good chart up showing how much was left in the food after it 'cooking off'.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Yes, Mags - that's what I remember, too :-)
Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Magsie

I found the chart on a thread what Dee had given but can't copy it. From 27 Nov. 15. 11.53pm. Searched for cooking with alcohol.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

I used to get wasted when I cooked, all the time. If there was company coming, all bets were off it was party time. I'd be drunk and not interested in eating by the time dinner was served. I did cook some amazing stuff though, haha.
You guys, there is change in the wind for me. It's a good thing. I've been doing so much soul searching lately, all alone out here in the country! In the long run I think the romance disasters (there have been about four in a row, sheesh) have been good for me. I've always gone from one serious relationship to another, and this experience has been hardening, I guess. Is that a good thing, though? Who knows. I think so. But it's been making me think about why I want to be in a relationship in the first place, and it's challenged my self esteem that's for sure. I decided last night to stop putting so much energy into my romantic life. It's just not working right now so I think maybe now is not the time.
If he's out there, he'll find me, right?
It's funny that we all remember the discussion about the cooking wine. I think it was a big issue for a lot of us. It sure was for me. I don't think I would cook with it now. Just seems like playing with fire unnecessarily. There are a lot of vinegars that are good replacements for alcohol. I made a lamb shank pie from Jamie Oliver's cookbook which absolutely called for wine, probably more, I used some kind of vinegar as replacement, can't remember, maybe wine vinegar (I don't think there's alcohol in that), and it tasted great.
Have a great Thursday----omg is it Thursday? Eeeeps.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Inpar. Good on you girl! You deserve the best so be kind to yourself, look after you and life will happen! x
Old 01-07-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The alcohol does not burn off as much as people think

Everybody has to make a personal decision.

I made a decision not to knowingly ingest alcohol, including food.

It seems to sit right with the rest of my outlook and my programme

I don't miss alcohol in food - I feel I can really taste the other flavours now.

D
Here you go... and I don't risk it either.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Inpar. Good on you girl! You deserve the best so be kind to yourself, look after you and life will happen! x
Absolutely! I so agree with this.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Me, too, IP!

Mags and V, thanks for finding and copying that chart.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs & goodnight