Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 3

Old 09-24-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us want to think that a little time off from booze with reset us and we'll be normal drinkers. leaving aside the fact that a lot of us were never normal drinkers in the first place....please don't confuse abstinence with control. Life is good because we have stopped drinking and removed alcohol from out lives, not because we suddenly learn control. I have 8 years and I know that if I drink again I'll have no more control than I had on my last drink in '07. D
Take it from me. Someone who had nine months sober time. I went back out there. Took three months to get back to committing to sobriety again. Not worth it. Don't be fooled like I was. Because that's exactly what it is. Trickery. At heart none of us want alcohol in our lives.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Administrator

a little tonic water may help your RLS Rar - it helps me (mine is lifelong and not alcohol related but the basic manifestation is the same)

Assuming of course you have no issues with quinine, and that you weren't a gin and tonic drinker.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
a little tonic water may help your RLS Rar - it helps me (mine is lifelong and not alcohol related but the basic manifestation is the same)

Assuming of course you have no issues with quinine, and that you weren't a gin and tonic drinker.
Mine is not alcohol related either. I have read that exercise helps it, but it seems mine is worse with exercise. Where on earth would I get quinine water and how much should I drink?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
One of the things that is concerning me is that I'm having trouble thinking about or imagining never drinking again. I read the posts here and it seems so many are convinced they will never drink again. I would like to be 100% convinced like those folks. All I'm able to do is take 1 day at a time.
Sounds like quite the challenging day yesterday Rar. I think your doing great. Nice job on 18 days.

I've been working on sobriety for two years. I find it best to not think about never drinking again. I failed many times with that approach. Some of the teachings of Rational Recovery are good, but the commitment to never drink again right out of the gate didn't work for me. I now take it a day at a time, the AA philosophy. Commit to 24 hours. Today I won't drink. Just for today.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

welcome back Cameron - what do you think you need to add to what you've been doing to stay sober?

D[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what I need to do. My downfall is quite specific. 9pm is my drinking time when everyone is in bed. End up getting up really late in morning/afternoon and have no inkling to drink throughout the day, but come 9pm the bore some starts as I've only been awake for a few hours so can't sleep.....start drinking to pass the hours......rinse and repeat.

I need to start a routine to getup, stay up early and bed at 9pm. Started today.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Oh and also stop treating myself to a bottle for staying off it for 2-3 days. I reward myself for not drinking....by drinking!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hi All - here's to another day above ground and I remember my name! Sober is the only way.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. I am so sick of this drinking nonsense...I don't know why I do it anymore, it just makes me feel like crap and I hate it! I'm sick of hiding this from my family and my friends, sick of feeling guilty, sick of being sick lol...I'm just done with this. Sobriety, here I come!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Rar, I'm sorry your birthday was a difficult day and you are having a tough time right now. I just wanted to say that I am not in the mindset of "I will never drink again", it is too overwhelming to me. Never just sounds so vast, for some reason it brings forth this image of me out in some huge dark ocean in a tiny little boat. Just too much. This time I am breaking things down into more manageable goals, like at the beginning it was a week sober, now I'm working on making it a month, then I will go for month 2, and so on. It just feels more attainable to me that way. I imagine one day that thinking of never drinking again won't sound so scary but for now I'm not going to stress myself out with thinking along those lines.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning Class of September 2015!

Just wanted to let you know that you all are doing great ! Sometimes, I know it feels as though you are the only person to ever have experienced the crazy cravings and emotional swings and self doubt that you are going through now. Believe me, we have all been down that path, just a few months ahead of you. You WILL get to the point where you can explore living a life that you never imagined possible, one without the AV screaming at you 24/7 for a drink to make it all better. Remember, you are in control! The AV is powerless as long as you don't empower it by putting that first drink into your body.

You guys rock!

Class of April 2015 member
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Rar. I'm sorry it is a sad day for you. Good job on not drinking, especially since your AV tried very hard to get you to cave. Just remember that drinking doesn't make any of those things better. Birthdays, sad days. Alcohol makes them worse. Hugs!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

I'm back after a long absence

I spent the entire day yesterday with a glass of Jim Beam within reach. Never done that before. This morning I thought how good it would feel to do that again. That's when I decided it's time to take a day off from The Stuff. Just today. Then tomorrow I'll try another day off.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Day 1 for me. I am so sick of this drinking nonsense...I don't know why I do it anymore, it just makes me feel like crap and I hate it! I'm sick of hiding this from my family and my friends, sick of feeling guilty, sick of being sick lol...I'm just done with this. Sobriety, here I come!
Welcome, illuminate--great name
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas View Post
I spent the entire day yesterday with a glass of Jim Beam within reach. Never done that before. This morning I thought how good it would feel to do that again. That's when I decided it's time to take a day off from The Stuff. Just today. Then tomorrow I'll try another day off.
Great decision! You can do it!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Good morning, friends!

Rar, happy birthday! I am so sorry about the loss of your twin and the pain of the day. You did an amazing job staying sober. Bravo!

Kinzoku, just wanted to send you hugs and support. I think ClearEyes' point about the cobwebs clearing is a good one (as is your imagery about the leaky roof). I had exactly the same feeling last week as I began to really see what my drinking has cost me. It is hard to take in, but a great motivator to keep us going. 25 days is fantastic and inspiring.

SD, very sorry to hear about your mom. That sounds very hard. And it totally made sense that you'd want to drink afterwards. For me, that is what I want to do when I feel pain. :group hug:

FF: you are doing fantastic!!

Emme, how are you today?

Not a great night's sleep, but I think that has more to do with some presentations I'm giving this weekend than anything else. Always get nervous/excited,even after all these years.

I may not be on here tomorrow and Friday too much because of travel, but will try to check in. Just don't want you to worry if I don't.

Take care, and sober on!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

SD you've really been an inspiration to me since I came back to SR, your willingness to put it all out there, and your happiness and joy in your recovery. Keep it up!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone

Morning - day 8 here. I've been reading through and hope no one minds I don't post often. It takes a long time for me as I am limited to just a cell phone and have to chicken peck everything.

Have to admit it's nice being at day 8. This morning my skin was nice again - no scaly, flaky, bloated skin that radiates redness. And I could write with my old, nice handwriting, which is also nice. Also enjoy productive sleep, which is making work easier too.

Still have the occasional muscle spasm, though. And a pain that now comes and goes (better than constant, as it had been until yesterday). Anyone else have this? It's a pain in my left side abdomen towards the back.

Anyway, thank you for your support. I love and appreciate you all. I send giant hugs and oodles of support - Remember that the next time the lonely bug hits or the AV's lies hit
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Day 5 here, and the wine cravings are starting to appear. The difference here is that I'm retreating to SR and not the store. Pray for me guys.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

F&F, stay strong! My day 3 - 8ish were the most difficult for me. My AV wanted to make deals with me and minimize that it's no big deal. I got through it and days are now getting progressively less craving-filled. You can do this! The longer you go, the easier it gets...
Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Sounds like everyone is clicking right along. Hang in there it gets better and better if you change your thinking and change your life! Great job! One day at a time! ((Hug))!!