Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 3

Old 09-25-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

You guys are all motivating me so much - all the cravings everyone is overcoming, coming here to ask for help, etc. Very inspiring.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hey all, sorry I've been missing in action. I have a new sobriety date (see signature). I can explain what happened later. But I'm committed to sobriety for the rest of my life because I know my body can't even process small amounts of alcohol very well (either due to aging 51 or abusing alcohol too much over the years or some combination). One important thing: this time I'm NOT counting (as in "I'm on Day ____") though I am recognizing a sobriety date. Kind of a compromise between my OCD side and not wanting to stress myself out like ticking time bomb with the counting. I'll fill everyone in more later - my kids and I are seeing a movie tonight so I must run quickly. Later all!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

glad you're back Juno ! You should be proud of yourself that it didn't take you very long to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back here where we all understand how hard this is
Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I love so Much about my life sober, that quickly disappears when I drink. Yet I still want to drink. I want to drink AND have the good stuff.
That's the reality. You can't have both lives. I thought that same thing at one point. The sooner you choose and commit the better!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Welcome to everyone new

forabetterlife, I know I am kind of late but very valid reasons not to drink Physical changes are one of the first things I notice when I am not drinking. Keeping you in my thoughts.

great job CaliButterly for not giving in I am so glad you didn’t go back into the store.

Juno – keeping you in my thoughts. I tend to agree with you on counting the number of days. I know my sober date too but I am not tracking the days either (although I do look once in a while just so I know). I am glad you are here

Wishing everyone a happy and sober weekend~
Old 09-25-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're right back on the horse, Juno. I hear you on the counting, I'm not sure it's all that productive for me either, but my Day 1 was September 1 so I can't exactly un-know my day during this month, haha.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me. How nice it was to wake up this morning without being hungover. Had a pretty scary dream last night, though, where a doctor gave me test results telling me that my liver was failing. I so, so, so do not want to end up like that, and I believe in myself enough to take charge of my fate. Here's hoping to better dreams tonight...
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Juno

count, or don't count - do whatever works best for you
the main thing for us all is to commit to not drinking or using no matter what

D
Old 09-25-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Made it through Friday. On to Saturday.

Good to see folks fighting through cravings. I know mine are coming. Just not sure when they will hit.

Oh well, through today, happily.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in.
Can't believe how great my skin is looking. Not only is my face not bloated, but because I'm not going to bed drunk, I'm actually taking the time to cleanse/tone/moisturize and all that girly stuff haha.

Welcome to those that are new here, and congrats to those that have had another sober 24 hours
Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Like others have said, reading the fears, stories, triggers and even the anger is helping me. SEVERAL times today I just picked up my tablet, clicked on that shining light icon, and here you were......cheering, sweating, crying together. I could hold on with others while it all seemed to overtake me. I am sober today. I made it thru. Bless you all and thank you.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I am committed to this. I have enough history with alcohol to know it doesn't offer anything positive for me. And yet I needed one more data point - or even if I didn't need it, I got it.

I had a stressful week (kind of as usual) and had nearly 10 days of sobriety and then convinced myself that if I only drank HALF a bottle of wine instead the full bottle AND ate dinner with it instead of an empty stomach like last time I would be just peachy in the morning. Here's what actually happened:

- I did buy only 1/2 bottle and there is no other alcohol in the house
- I did have it with dinner
- however, #1 it didn't taste good at all. I would have rather had a glass of water or a diet coke or anything soft drink. I was just drinking it for the buzz.
- #2 Instead of feeling buzzed and happy, I actually got sad. The alcohol made me sadder than I would have been if I didn't drink it. So much for the euphoric buzz I was looking for.
- #3 I woke up in the middle of the night with hot flashes and sweating, like I get with a hangover.
- #4 When I woke up in the morning, though I didn't have a hangover per se, I was extremely groggy and had a headache.
- #5 I was tired all day from the poor quality sleep I had because of the alcohol in my system
-#6 I still had a headache even in the evening.

It's just not worth it!! Any pleasure that I used to get from drinking alcohol is long, long gone.

I have started reading "The Final Fix: AVRT" by Jack Trimpey. I bought it long ago and have never read it. I'm continuing with all other tools that I started before. This is going to happen because there are no positives anymore re: drinking (for me)!

My boys and I saw Hotel Transylvania 2 tonight. It was cute
Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Grateful Alky......

Day 18 here, and I am feeling so much better about life. Taking the time each day to stop by SR, and read all about everybody else's experiences that are oh so similar to mine has been a great source of strength to me. I catch myself at work taking a peak every free chance I get.

I know that this journey can only be one day at a time, but I am feeling very encouraged about the future. Thanks everybody. The September Class is awesome.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone:

Just got back from my work trip and wanted to check in. All went well. It was a couple busy days (and tomorrow will be too) but I feel so much better able to face them sober. Have to admit that at the dinner tonight, while everyone was sipping cocktails on the deck, I had a twinge. But I ordered myself a grapefruit juice and seltzer and felt pretty satisfied.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts these next couple days and catching up!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Juno, I just was scanning and saw your post. I wanted to offer you hugs and support.

I had the same realization after a patch of sobriety: the wine hit me like a two by four. It is great to realize and record all those negative effects.

Take care and be good to yourself. It is especially important when we're under stress (I usually buy myself extra flowers
Old 09-26-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Day 19 and living my life.

The last 2 nights I've craved wine from 6-8pm then it's gone.

My Dr advised me to set a timer 10 minutes before when I knew the craving would come and shut it down before it can take hold.

So tonight I anticipate a craving coming at 6, I will tell it where to go, I know from the last 19 days I can do it!

Drinks I am enjoying incase anyone needs any ideas;

Hot chocolate
Normal tea
Lemon and ginger tea
Moroccan mint tea
Coffee (but one or two a day instead of 10!)

Chilled flavoured water
Tomato juice with Worcester and tobasco
Cranberry juice
Orange juice
Water with real mint leaves and slice of lemon

Foods;

100% orange juice ice lollies
Skinny cow mint choc chip ice cream
Dark chocolate
Salted fudge
Twiglets

There's a lot of enjoyment in these things ; )))
Old 09-26-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Just checking in.

Attended my birthday dinner last night, and I stayed sober ☺

By the time the main course was served my family had stopped offering me alcohol and it wasn't a big deal like I thought it would be.

I was woken up my screaming coming from a friends house across the street at 2am, they'd all gotten drunk and started fighting with each other. I feel slightly guilty now for feeling a bit smug at the time for being tucked up in bed away from the drama for a change. If I had of drunk earlier in the night with my family I would have ended up there in the middle of it all.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for posting your stories and replying to mine. I'm now off to enjoy my first sober/hangover free birthday in ten years 😊
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Sounds like everyone is doing great! So proud of y'all! Happy Saturday keep it up! Weekends are tough on us all. We can do it! Congrats!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Good morning although it's nearly lunchtime here. OH had a night out last night and was hungover this morning even though we had to go out first thing. I was so glad it wasn't me because it usually is! He doesn't drink often and it was a special occasion.

I enjoyed reading through everyone's posts this morning and the normality of them all. Stay strong tonight.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

In for day 4. Sorry I don't post much. This is my second time trying, the first time I was so excited and didn't realise how easy it was to give in and it shattered my confidence in myself when I reverted back to drinking. This time, I think I'm so aware how that strong AV can worm its way in when you get complacent I'm being cautious but none the less determined.