Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 7

Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Hey Lily. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Any idea what is triggering your cravings? If you can identify the trigger it may be easier to change the mindset?

All the best for a great sober day!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Good morning ya'll.

Sorry to hear of your struggles Lilly. Sounds like your taking action. Good for you! Don't roll over and cave into the abyss. You'll come out of this stronger. When I caved on MJ, I wasn't very happy with myself. But it still took me a couple days to properly destroy it. I learned something from that experience. What I was doing provided temporary relief from the feelings I was looking for a break from. When the temporary relief ended, I was a little bit worse than before. That occurred each time I smoked.

Now I'm stronger and know temporary relief is worse. Like Amp said, identify what your seeking relief from and employ natural solutions. Doing so will at least minimize the issue. The more natural solutions you apply, the better you feel.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Up and atom.
Best wishes, and stay strong Lily and OMD. You know what to do.

I am quitting smoking as well Inc. I just have to, they are so bad for my health, considering my dad's lung issues, I should be running from the smokes. I have the nicotine patch and sheer will power. Fingers crossed.

Angie - what's a red vine? fruit or candy? I am noticing that my taste buds are picking up some interesting flavors that I didn't think existed for a long time!

Heading out shortly, have a great day every one.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello!
Thanks for the good wishes - they're very much appreciated.

It's weird, I had a sudden, very strong, urge for a drink earlier. Out of nowhere. It lasted for about 15 mins I guess. I am wondering if I was actually just thirsty, and my brain still associates certain feelings with a need for a drink (it used to be pretty much any feeling). Anyway, that's now gone, and I didn't have a drink.

So note to self - no room for complacency here. One day at a time and when necessary one minute at a time. Thankfully those moments are few and far between now.

Cauliflower - yes, do stop smoking if you can. I am an ex smoker and I cannot tell you how much better life is now. Yes, I know you know that but just thought I'd say it anyway in case it encourages you

Have a great day!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Hi OMD!

Maybe you're feeling anxiety about the challenges that lie ahead for you which has lead to a seemingly random intense craving out if the blue?

Mind you, it's not let ng ago that every day held a host of intense cravings so either way it's progress.

Important to remember that cravings can come out of nowhere even when we're feeling confident. Confidence is very much a double-edged sword and it is vital to remain fully prepared.

Glad everyone is staying strong and doing well
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 100 for me. Feeling good. On break at work and will be picking up my son in a bit. I think I'm gonna celebrate with ice cream tonight.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2015 Part 7

The last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-26.html
Old 08-05-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Way to go Angie!!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Nicely done Angie ice cream sounds like a good treat!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advise. I really do appreciate it. No drinking for me today. Half way through the week! Have a good one
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

That's awesome Angie!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Woo-hoo Angie!! Congratulations!! Ice cream is the perfect treat
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny I found your post but it was on an older thread. Glad to hear you're doing well. The location you are in sounds peaceful.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Well done Angie. Now - catch up laggers.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Congrats Angie! Happy for you!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good morning folks.

OMD ... Way to go for punching the craving in the crotch! You may be thinking woopidy doo. But those out of the blue cravings can be the end of it all. You're smart enough to know better. I tip my hat to you sir.

I've been thinking. I want to pump a little more life into my resolve. I don't want to get complacent. Going forward for the rest of August, I'm going to post two times a day minimum.

The morning will be a promise not to drink along with one reason why. Then at the end of my day I will post one reason why I was glad I didn't drink that day OR I may post a trigger for the day. I'm kinda leaning towards the trigger.

So....
None for me today. I've had my boys for a few days and tonight they are going back home :/. I want to be sober today so I can focus on them and enjoy the day. I don't want to look back later and feel regret for not spending quality time.

Have a great day.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Great you're planning to step up the frequency of your planning, Inc! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Enjoy the day with your boys!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

That's awesome in control I think that's a good way to stay focused.

Day is going good so far. Going to the bay later with a friend. Then just taking care of odds and ends.

It's terrific Thursday lol trying to keep that fun day Monday theme rolling through the week haha
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Congrats Angie! Doesn't it feel good! 100 days, wow.

I am home all day today, so I am still in my PJs at noon! Love it. But, I am working and cleaning the house, not sat on my butt.

Inc., I like your plan! We cannot get complacent that`s for sure. I had another freaking drinking dream last night, it`s just horrible. I make the decision to drink so easily in my dreams. Even though these are just dreams, makes me wonder though. I have will have my guard up at all times.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
OMD

Thanks guys. And congratulations Angie!! Truly awesome! Take a moment to reflect on this.

I think Amp and IC are right about things that I am going to summarise as resolve, focus and understanding. I am going to remind myself of my Truths more regularly. I also stopped meditating which I did for just 10 mins each day which really focused my mind for the first couple of months..

My feelings now about drinking are different from how I felt after a couple of months when I felt I could maybe just tip back in because I felt great and so wouldn't it be easy to control etc. Now it is like BAM! Have a drink. Not so much urge surfing more like getting your head down while the tidal wave flattens everything around, and then 15 mins later the sun comes out again.

I am so grateful to be sober I cannot tell you. Saw a buddy the other day who told me I looked great. I told him I quit drinking and he said he wanted to as well, so we talked about that for a bit.

Anyway, I have my kids tomorrow. Will be running round after them all weekend and I want to be clear headed for that. I actually just want to be clear headed and don't want to lose any more time than I already have. I am looking forward to waking up tomorrow feeling great. This morning I woke up very early, more like the middle of the night, but I felt refreshed so I brought myself a coffee to bed and enjoyed a read before going for an early swim. Well I say swim, more like a paddle up and down but I am learning and determined. It is a symbol of my sobriety.

Maybe I am subconsciously wondering about the next couple of weeks but for now I am just grateful to be sober. Tomorrow I am not going to drink. Among other things, tomorrow I am 5 months sober

Best wishes
OMD
Old 08-06-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

I think, OMD, that you may surprise yourself and take the next couple of weeks in your stride. A lot of this is about psychology and self belief. With any luck the experience will make you stronger.

Preparing the way with meditation and plenty of SR sounds like a good move