Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey, just noticed I passed 1,500 posts at some point today! What do I win? (I need a new toaster...hint hint...)
Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You win a shiny new toaster!! It will be delivered tomorrow. :-)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

No. He wins a healthier liver! Much better than a toaster. He's anti-toasted! LOL.

I'm checking in to say goodnight. Nothing much to say, really. Still not sure if the e-cig is worth doing but like I said before, I'm not going to force myself to like it. Either I do or I don't. If it wouldn't harm me or make my throat sore or tongue feel scorched (kind of does cause it's vapor), it sure is a great way to spend less money.

Way too much like actual smoking though. I may donate it to my eldest sister who still smokes cigs. Only problem with that is that they don't own a computer and the cig battery charges via a usb port. That means she'd have to buy a wall adapter and I know she wouldn't bother. Stubborn as a mule.

Sleep tight, people. Or have a great day! Catch you all later.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ending day 59 now. I ended up not working tonight. We had too many people on the schedule plus it was still slow because of the holiday so I traded for a Wednesday night shift instead.

Kinda wished I had worked as I ended talking to an old friend and got some news that put some thoughts of drinking in my head in the last couple of hours. Not going to go into the details about the news right now. It wasn't necessarily bad news, just confusing news of a sort. Drinking won't make it better, it was just my immediate first thought. Stupid addictive thinking. Anyways, I spent most of the last hour in the Newcomers forum and now I'm going to watch an episode of Orange is the New Black and go to bed.

When I wake up in the morning, I'll be on day 60. That's pretty cool. Wishing everyone a safe and sober night.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Casey!

Sorry about the drinking thoughts and the news. Glad you came on here though! I feel like we're all getting pretty good at recognizing and ignoring that AV these days.
Cissy, I have an e-cig but it's not one of the vapor ones. It's called Blu. It might be too much like smoking for you, but I like it. It's pretty light (they have different levels of cartridges) and has never hurt my throat. You can get them at drug stores and they're not super expensive... Just a thought! I'm trying to think of something else for you but not a lot is coming to mind. Maybe some sort of healthy snack instead? I've always been a big fan of freezing watermelon slices.. so refreshing and sweet!

In Germany today. It was somewhere around 95 where I was yesterday. It's still hot today, but it feels about 20 degrees cooler haha

I've been busy at work but having fun, so that's nice. It's such a good feeling to wake up not hungover everyday. We're in a city today, but not a very big one, so I think I'm just going to stay in mostly and take it easy. This is the first day I haven't had to do any errands, so maybe a day in my room is the way to go. I need one of those every once in a while. Plus I'm dying to catch up on some tv and my reading! Especially on here. I don't like the days where I can't keep up on this site

Hope everyone is having a lovely Monday!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Congrats Casey, and nice job yesterday!

I'm hitting near 60 myself, but not doing so well. Day 5 of Paxil sucks. Tremor, insomnia, stomach cramps. Had to take xanax to control its side effects and it made me feel drunk, and when it wore off I felt like day 2 off alcohol....and who wants to relive THAT again?!!

No xanax now in 36 hours (thank God!) but Ambien to sleep last night.
I sure hope this Paxil thing works in a couple of weeks because right now I'm holding on by my fingernails and feel like a pill-popper.

Good luck to all,

Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 Casey! And 1500 very helpful posts! You deserve a brand new toaster!

Keep on keepin on and postin too!

Olivia
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
nmd

Hey all- checking in.

Adding to my previous list of reasons to stay sober, the classic: I've never regretted not drinking. I regret drinking this weekend. Saturday was moderate, Sunday I passed out. I need to change some things up, that much is certain, but my intention is still to be sober, so I'm sticking around. For now, I'm just leaving it at that.

One of the reasons for my anxiety recently was a good one. I didn't talk about it here because it is one of tenets of aa and rehab programs to avoid relationship changes in the first year. Well, I did it this weekend, my girlfriend of 4years and I are happily engaged. :-) It's been in the works for a long time and something she and I have talked about for the past two years (and lived together for almost the same amount of time), so not a impulsive decision by any means and honestly not a big change. As far as it's impact on my sobriety, at least the anxiety of anticipating asking is gone now. Maybe not the textbook "right" thing to do in sobriety programs, but I'm very happy right now and it was the right thing for me.

Have a great day!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 60 now. Slept in. Trying to make myself get jump started and up and dressed so I can go to a noon AA meeting. In fact, I'm doing that right now--getting up and going. Work tonight, talk to everyone later!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on your engagement, nmd!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Wow, nmd. That's exciting news about your engagement. You've been thinking about popping the question for some time now? It's good that you recognized that the anxiety of waiting for the right moment to ask her was contributing to your drinking. Maybe now you'll have greater success at abstaining.

Congrats to all of you who are doing so well! 60 days is a great number, Casey.

Site, enjoy your time in Germany. What a cool life you must live. I know everything is different when someone else is living it but from where I stand, it sounds very cool. Do stay inside and just enjoy some down time.

I woke up with a terrible headache today that would not leave for almost 2 hours. I thought it was nicotine withdrawal or something, or maybe I needed some coffee (I never get headaches so the e-cig was my first thought.) I am drinking a coffee and I took a Motrin and I had some puffs off the e-cig (which should have resolved the pain quickly if it was the cause) but it just took its sweet time leaving.

I am definitely going to give it to my sister and I'll buy her some menthol liquid cause she likes menthol cigs. I'll buy a wall adapter for her to be able to recharge the battery in her apartment without a computer (still living in the stone age) and she'll maybe find that it's a way to stop buying cigarettes. Once she sees how much money she can save that way, she just might decide it's worth doing.

I don't regret trying it but I do know now that it's not the answer. Not even close. But I'm the kind of person that has to learn things on my own. Wish I wasn't but that's how I'm built. I have to see for myself.

I'm all out of junk food so I will try to spend the whole week just eating normal foods. Food that actually IS food. Food that has nutritive value for the body. What a concept!

Have an amazing sober Monday, everyone. (((Hugs)))
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Where is Agag??
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Congrats Casey and everyone who is doing so !

I must admit I had a couple of beers Saturday night. I also must say I totally paid for it yesterday. Headache, sick, in bed all day. Why is it that having only a couple can make you feel like you've had a ton?

Well, i"m not proud of doing it, but I did. I'm really wish I didn't though. All I could hear in my head yesterday was everyone's wise words here, and I just wanted to kick myself.

well, back on the wagon and off to work today. thank you all for being around. I am learning, and I am getting better though.

Have a great day!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Oh and I hope you'll let me stay in this class with you guys!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Starting day 56. Congrats NMD on your engagement and congrats Casey on 60 days!! Toasters, pfft. I think we should all get A NEW CAR! And of course stay, Sag

Had computer problems yesterday and thought I had lost all my work stuff! Had a slight panic attack but figured it out and got it to turn on....but still acting weird so time for a new laptop again.

Have a great Monday guys
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So glad I made myself get moving and go to that noon AA meeting. It's about a 30 minute 3.5-mile bike ride there but was very much worth it. Topic was fear and resentment, which is exactly what I needed to hear after the news I got last night. I'm only working nights for now so I'm setting a short-term one week goal of going to a noon meeting every day this week. I love all of you but honestly you're not enough for my recovery right now. I need something more stable and regular. It's too easy for people to just disappear from here, and I'm trying to not let that affect or offend me right now. Out of my control. Accept the things I cannot change, etc. I'm still in very early recovery too, have to remind myself of that sometimes...

Cissy -- you know I'm all for you dumping that vape thingee. I know you have a belief in a higher power--why don't you try some AA meetings too? You don't have to say anything at them if you don't want. I know you have anxiety issues but I'm just trying to think of ways you can make some life changes without hurting yourself. If you can let total strangers come to your house and buy all that stuff you're selling, maybe you can take a chance and try a recovery meeting of some kind? Like I said, just an idea.

As far as AGAGONNHOJ goes, I know he had said he was going to start posting less once he got to that two month mark or so. Hope he's doing ok.

sagittarius -- sorry you decided to drink but I'm glad you're right back in. Of course this is still your class. I hope you'll use us next time and take a few minutes to post on here the next time you get an urge to drink. That's part of being a member of a recovery group--you're here for us, we're here for you.

4thekidz -- I've never used any of those medications so don't know what they feel like, but I will say to not beat yourself up about using them as long as you're following the doctor's orders. I know you said you're getting near 60 days--for some reason I thought you and me had the same sobriety date--May 8, 2015. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

site -- I think I already said this but enjoy your day off. Still hoping you go to one of those German AA meetings. I bet they really put some oomph into reading "How It Works."

Ginamarie -- congrats on 56 days! The new car will come in time if we just keep doing what we're doing one day at a time. Glad your computer problems were short-term.

Going to take a nap now. Work tonight. Wishing everyone a happy and sober Monday...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

If I were going to bother going to any kind of meeting, I'd choose OA over AA any day. I'm just not a joiner. Group therapy, etc. I'd rather be stuck with a rusty nail and bleed to death. Not my thing. I'm here and that's all I need.

When the people come to buy my stuff, I make their entry and exit as quick as I can by getting things ready to move out the door. That's partly why I get aggravated by low-ballers who want to negotiate the price in my living room. Not cool. Makes me want to show them the door. Literally. I was tempted to do that with this last guy.

I need money and that's one of the only ways I can get it so that overrides my anxiety just enough to make it doable. I don't have people over socially, ever. Only one time in over 3 years. Only person who enters my house other than me is my landlady. I'm okay with that and prefer it.

I'm glad you find value in going to the meetings, Casey. I'm sorry you're feeling a loss of sorts by so many of the Mayflowers disappearances. I wish they'd check in too but we're all different and we have our individual demons and baggage, ideas of self worth and such. We have to be happy we still have who we have.

I hope when you feel ready, you'll tell us what the news was that upset you so much.

4, I'm sorry for completely forgetting to comment on how you're doing with the meds. I am on a few myself and I know it can really mess you up while your body gets adjusted to taking them. If the Ambien is also a new drug, I'd try not to add that into the mix at the same time that you're trying to level out on the Paxil. I hate not being able to sleep. Do you take the Paxil in the morning or at night? The time of day you take it may help or hurt your sleep efforts. See if there is a drowsiness side effect.

I paid my bills today so I feel good about that. It's always a relief to know that I'm all paid up and then I know how much I have left to spend on gas and food. I'm going to really apply myself to not buy any more junk food, fast food or alcohol. The savings will be truly significant. So will the weight loss.

Have a lovely day, everyone. Bless you.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Wow, nmd. That's exciting news about your engagement. You've been thinking about popping the question for some time now? It's good that you recognized that the anxiety of waiting for the right moment to ask her was contributing to your drinking. Maybe now you'll have greater success at abstaining.

Have an amazing sober Monday, everyone. (((Hugs)))
For quite a while actually. I was waiting last year for some financial reasons, but I decided this year to just go for it. We aren't getting any younger. :-)

Not to make excuses for drinking, but I think my anxiety or ability to cope with stress is a big problem in general. I get stressed thinking about making a phone call sometimes, lol. That's all part of recovery I guess, learning to address problems in a healthier way.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Where is Agag??
Some of his last posts were saying he was going to try a moderation program, but would come back here if it didn't work out.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gagonnhoj.html
Old 07-06-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
So glad I made myself get moving and go to that noon AA meeting. It's about a 30 minute 3.5-mile bike ride there but was very much worth it. Topic was fear and resentment, which is exactly what I needed to hear after the news I got last night. I'm only working nights for now so I'm setting a short-term one week goal of going to a noon meeting every day this week. I love all of you but honestly you're not enough for my recovery right now. I need something more stable and regular. It's too easy for people to just disappear from here, and I'm trying to not let that affect or offend me right now. Out of my control. Accept the things I cannot change, etc. I'm still in very early recovery too, have to remind myself of that sometimes...
It's great you recognize you need more, and face to face support is a great idea. .

If you stick with AA, I think you will find people will disappear from the rooms as well, maybe even more than on SR as people seek out different home groups or different times/locations. It is tough to see people disappear on here though.