Notices

Class of May 2012 part 18

Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 5 MONTHS MILESTONE, BIONIC LEE!!!

Mammoth is celebrating your incredibly wonderful accomplishment by blowing up balloons in your honor! I am so proud of you for staying strong on the sober path, my friend! Big hugs of love to you.

Um...heh, heh, got a little too excited here. Hold up while a buddy helps me work out some technical difficulties.

elephant-trunk-balloon.jpg
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Big congrats Lee!

I love Daylight Savings Time as I'm a night owl, its the adjustment that's hard for me
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations from me too Lee

D
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Happy Monday, my beloved Mayans! Great to see so much continued action on our thread 10 months in. And it's so awesome to be graced with lovely new May mates! Hugs to you, Shock. We all rock, sober peeps.

So, Mammoth has a story for you about the Great Date. I surprised myself about being really nervous and uncharacteristically shy. Thai food was a new experience for Date Pach, who passed with flying colors on table manners, lol! Lots of good conversation and friendly jokes. Even though we're polar opposites in our personalities, we were of like mind in enjoying the adventure. Went for a long walk after dinner on what's left our beaches, arm-in-arm, and I had accepted the thoughtful offer of an extra coat to keep me warm. At the end of our date, we stopped to talk for a little longer by our parked cars. So comfortable, I was treated so well, really nice time.

Sounds like a big thumbs up all the way through, right? Yeah... until a police car pulls up to us and summons my date over for questioning! WTF???!!! Red alert mode! I'm thinking how grateful I was to have brought my own car, berating myself for agreeing to go out with some freakin' low-life from the effin' Internet, fumbling with my thick gloves to unbutton this jail-bound idiot's coat as quickly as possible to get the heck out of here. Good lawd, I'm going to be a suspicious, cranky, loveless hermit forever. Now I gotta slink in all sulky-like to SR and 'fess up to my beloved May mates about this ultimately massive fail of a much-anticipated evening. Okay, FP. Breathe. Calm down. Ease off the drama and take a listen to see how this plays out with the police.

I'm only catching snatches of phrases through the ocean winds; Something about an illegal vehicle with no papers, tow truck on its way if everything isn't rectified on the spot, more negotiating ... I'm finally out of this strait-jacket with its padlocked buttons and reaching for my keys. Officer leaves, Date Pach returns to me, and I've got my arms crossed with eyebrows raised in questioning disapproval. Turns out the car's registration expired when forwarded mail didn't arrive while moving between houses AND with the shore devastation, the after-hours parking rules had changed, so we were both about to get ticketed. Date Pach had been busy working some magic and sweet-talked the officer into giving both of us a break so we could continue on in our pleasant evening without a hassle. Mammoth is impressed. Still keeping my senses heightened for any possible future issues, but in granting benefit of the doubt, I agreed to another date next weekend. (We kept our actions completely above-board, Sas. ) Stay tuned.

Wishing everyone a good sleep tonight. Stay strong on the sober path. Love and hugs to all.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Wow, FP, I'm impressed! Not sure if my actions would all have been "above board" ;-)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Not gonna touch that line, Sas! LOL!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

I figured you would be too smart for this ancient lady. Btw, did you know that the word "crone" actually means "wise woman of the tribe"? So that means I don't take offense if someone calls me "an old crone" (grin).

Btw, yea!!! I kept the beast out of my head all day today!

(((hugs)))
Sassy

Ps love the pic!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Ps it looks like that mammoth is hyperthyroid!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

jeni, sorry i missed you before! i'm trying to be better about individual replies, but i'm especially not so great at it when trying to write from the phone. for having small hands, i definitely have "fat fingers!" GIANT kudos to you on day 3 smoke free. that is huge. i hope day 4 is easier!

sas, rock on! pretty soon we will both have 3 weeks, and it takes 3 weeks to change a habit. :-)

lee, congrats on 5 months and your normal life. normal in itself can sometimes be extraordinary.

fp, that's quite the adventure for a first date! glad you had fun. yeah, there might be red flags in the future. yeah, you don't want to rush headlong into a relationship. yeah, that pach may turn out to be not right for you. BUT, that pach might just be "ele right." or if not, may be "ele right now." looks like you are embracing the adventure with open eyes and that's a great idea! good luck.

rock, you are an exercise ma-sheen! i still hate running. but it will be nice to get back on the bike and get the kayak back out. yesterday was actually warm, and i was itching to get the boat out even though i was working and the water is cooooold still.

things are good here, thanks for all the nice words about the breakfast. found out that little interview i had to give was on the news even. and a radio interview last week, sheesh. i told the tv guy i had a face for radio... :-)

sure is nice to be doing all this work stuff sober again, not to mention hangover free. it's also nice to not drink when stressed. well not the stress part so much, but the not using alcohol as the way to de-stress part. still looking for a good way to de-stress. meditation kind of helps, tea, exercise works for a time... guess i'll keep on lookin'.

i hope the rest of you may-mates are doing well! thank you all so much for being my sober buddies!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Morning.

FP-that all sounds very promising....so pleased you had a great time. Your story about the police turning up made me grin on a cold and grey Tuesday non-smoking day 4 miserable cranky morning...

I had an excellent meeting last night. Only 6 of us and 2 of them were newcomers. So funny but I'm starting to feel like one of the experienced ones there now!! My mindset of being new to all this, and of how I look up to others, and couldn't possibly share because who on earth would want to hear anything I have to say?is changing now. I made them drinks, I chatted to them, I read from the BB (I don't know why but I've resisted doing that before too), and I shared about how I felt when I first went to a meeting ( nearly a year ago now!!) and about how my life has changed. I was nervous when I was talking, I repeated myself, I stuttered a bit, but I wanted them to know how it was for me. I talked a lot about my family relationships, especially with my kids. I think I must have gone on a bit, but I'm pleased I did, because both the new guys came up to me afterwards and thanked me. One has a daughter the same age. So maybe, I helped someone else last night and that felt good.

Anyway... Back to the pity party. It's arctic weather outside, I'm desperate for a cigarette. Desperate.....my cravings are through the roof. How can anyone give up smoking? I mean, it's way too hard!! But, I don't want to cave. I'm still breathless from when I was ill. I must do this. One day at a time....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Oh sorry, was so busy moaning I forgot to tell you all how much I love you.....

LOVE YOU LOADS xxx
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Day 32, and this cold weather is definitely making me lazy. Just at the point where I need to be out there digging, the weather turns first wet, and then bitterly cold, so I've been more or less stuck indoors. So why haven't I been here? Good question. The simple answer is I need to get back to last year when I'd ruddy well make time to post rather than just posting when I find the time.
I was thinking about the 'inheritance', and the more I think about it, the stranger it seems, and the less sense it makes. It's vaguely possible that it's a case of mistaken identity, but, back in Derbyshire, my last name was pretty damn rare. We were the only entry in the phonebook. Now either they were just using my first name, which seems unlikely, or they had some other reason for looking for me. Like maybe they wanted to know if I was still alive?
Whichever way it is, I've heard nothing, not even a 'no, you're not the person we were looking for'. Which considering I was told to get in touch ASAP... feels wrong.

I'm in a good place today, and I'll be having a quiet day. A little tidying up, a little writing. A little cooking. Keeping busy so that my head doesn't get out of hand.

More memories have returned, plus I now have the benefit of hindsight, and stuff's starting to make sense. I once, well, several times over the years I was on antidepressants, that I didn't know what was wrong, but that I'd be upset if they turned round and said, 'Oh, all you need to do is x and you'll be fine,' because I'd want to say, 'well then, why didn't you say that back in 2003?'
Now, I have a good idea what it was, and yes, it is fairly simple, isn't it? Ah well, this says it better than I can.

Have a good day folks, be gentle with yourselves. And remember, life does get better when we actually get sober. If only it were a case of just putting the drink down... but we can do it. Together we can do it. And for that, I thank you all. It's something I need to remember more often.

Love and Hugs to you all. And may your higher power go with you. x x
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've come to believe nothings wasted Em - everything I've done, or seen, or had happen to me has shaped who I am - and that's no bad thing

Congrats on your 30 days

D
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

I had a pretty horrific drinking dream last night and woke up in a sweat. In the dream I could feel the toix affects of alcohol and felt terribly ill. I also was horrified that I had thrown away almost 8 months of sobriety. I remember thinking I would have to lie to my sponsor. It's really hard to go back to sleep after having a nighmare like that. On the plus side, at least there wasn't anything pleasant about drinking in the dream.

Sas and Kitty - It sounds like you both have really small cats. My eldest t(simba) that suffers from kidney disease is only about 8 lbs if he is lucky. He has lost a lot of weight. In October he will be 18 years old. I dread the day that I have to say goodbye to him. My little libby is about 8.5 lbs. She is one courageous little kitty. She ventures out despite having been attacked. It's quite the challenge constantly being cogniznant of where she is and trying to protect her.

HRB - Wow - planting 400 daffodills! I just ordered some spider flowers seeds and ca't wait to plant them. I spent a fair amount of money last year on plants and unfortunately the garden didn't turn out at all the way that I hoped. Gardening can be so very therapeutic and rewarding.

Lee - Congratulations on 5 months of being alcohol free and one whole year hydrocodeine free I was prescribed hydrocodeine when my teeth were pulled. That with the soft diet resulted in impacted stoll which was just so incredibly painful and took well over a month to get over. It has made me wary of ever taking that drug again.

FP- I am so happy to hear that you had a good date. I think it is very wise to be aware of red flags. I didn't do that at all when I was dating and made some very poor choices. I hope that your next date goes well and you enjoy yourself. You deserve it!

Wehave - How exciting that your interview was on the news and the radio. I too am still learning new ways to de-stress. Exercise is at the top of my list. It just puts me in a better mood and gives me greater energy (which I always need). I enjoy meditation and massages too.

Jeni - I am glad that you had an excellent meeting! I too like small meetings. There aren't too many around my area. I have shared at small meetings because they are far less intimidating. How heartwarming and wonderful that you helped two newcomers.

Emily - Congratulations on 30 days7 I am happy to hear that you are in a good place today. It sounds like you have a lovely quiet day planned. I know for me that sometime I just crave quiet days and thoroughly enjoy them.

The animal trainer is coming over today to assess Peyton. After that, I am hoping to hit an evening meeting where I know a few people. I feel safer in this meeting. I may share about the peyton situation. As Kitty said "changing the lenses" or changing my thinking is essential to dealing with a potential loss.

Wishing everyone a good day!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Hey all, just checking in. I got my camera Saturday! I took it out Sunday and Monday. I think I put too much pressure on myself because I didn't know what to take pictures of and I don't really have a handle on all of the settings yet. It was also cold and gray out, and some parts of the coast I went to were not in good shape from all the storms too, so I wasn't feeling very inspired. But I'm not going to pitch a fit and give up though. (Which is what I would normally do). I only got one lens too which limits what I can do. But I'll save up for more if I do keep at it. Other than that, just back to work today. Hope everyone is well.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Going to meet sister for brief lunch visit, always a bit tense. Now, I realize this and pay attention to my thoughts.

OLL: Don't give up, B. takes lots of pictures and is always going on about lens. I guess it can really change how a photo looks, soon the colors will change to a brighter hue!

F.P. What a first date! I hope you update us on the second date, what fun

Tanja, Jeni, Sas, HRB, Emily, Lee, Kitty, wehav, shock and anyone I missed,

As always, have a safe, sober Tuesday
Bloss
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi all.

In a mad rush again. Just typing this while trying to bolt down some food them am going to meet my sponsor tonight. I'm going to tell her about going to counselling. She advised me back last Summer that she felt it would be a good move for me. I took it as a bit of a rejection at the time. It was a case of 'whoa, I've told you all my stuff, and you can't help me, and I'm so messed up you want to pass me to someone else?!' But, she knew she wasn't qualified to help and has been a good solid support to me all the way through. I think she will be pleased that I've (finally) done what she advised.

Em- don't waste time in regrets. All our experiences, good and bad, are what have shaped us. I realise now that without my childhood circumstances, I wouldn't have the empathy and understanding I have for children, and I love what I do. I seem to be able to work out what makes them tick, and their emotional well-being is something I prioritise on in my work. Life is a journey, and no part of it is wasted as long as we continue to learn and grow. Lots of love to you xxx

Bloss-hope your lunch goes well. You have done this before and got through it, and you will do again. I believe in you xxx

OLL-happy snapping with your camera. Practice makes perfect, look forward to seeing some of your pictures xxx

Love to you all xxx
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 1 MONTH+ MILESTONE, EMILY!!!

Mammoth is braving the driving rains today to honor your beautiful sober accomplishment! You are doing such a great job in keeping straight on the path of sobriety, girlfriend! Big hugs of mammoth love to you.

elephant-in-raincoat.jpg
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi all.
Em- don't waste time in regrets. All our experiences, good and bad, are what have shaped us. I realise now that without my childhood circumstances, I wouldn't have the empathy and understanding I have for children, and I love what I do. I seem to be able to work out what makes them tick, and their emotional well-being is something I prioritise on in my work. Life is a journey, and no part of it is wasted as long as we continue to learn and grow. Lots of love to you xxx
Jeni, you are so right! You have reached a place that some never do - acceptance of whatever has happened to us is part of who we are and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. What hurt us once can make us stronger now!

FP, love Mammoth in the rain gear for Em!

Em, congrats on 30 days!!!

Bloss, hope your lunch visit went ok. Relatives can be so much harder than friends because of old history.

OLL, so happy to hear you have new camera and I hope you really enjoy learning to use it to whatever level you want to :-)

Tanja, thanks for your lovely post. An 18-year old cat is quite the oldster! I had one live that long and he died about 2 years ago. He was a real trooper! It sounds like little Libby is a brave soul and lucky to have you to protect her.

Dee, what you said is very similar to Jeni's comments and I wholeheartedly agree. The way I think of it is "I am who I am because of what I've been through, not in spite of it".

WeHav, I love having you as a sober buddy! Although I'm sorry you slipped, I'm glad you came back here to us, your merry band of Mayans :-)

Shock, I don't mind Daylight Savings Time at all - like you, it's just adapting to the change. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer DST year round!

Day 17 here.

(((hugs)))
Sassy
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

CONGRATS to ALL the milestones lately - Lee, FP, HRB, Emily, I'm sure I'm missing someone, heck we all should pat ourselves on the back for making it one more day sober, no matter if it's day 1 or 1000....

FP I'm glad you are keeping a watchful eye on the situation but I must admit the fact that the police played a role in your first date is actually really hilarious It makes for a great story that's for sure.

Congrats OLL on your new camera!

Tanja, good luck with the trainer and I'm sorry to hear about your alcohol dream. I have had those from time to time. At least it was only a dream...

Jeni, I love you loads too!!!

as for me- had a wringer of weekend with a friend that sought me out to inform me she was done with our friendship. It really set me back for a couple days and I feel like I'm still recovering. It's more (all?) about her and not me but it threw me for a loop - I invited her to coffee casually and the next day she called to say she no longer wanted to be my friend. I struggled with cigarette cravings most of the day, nearly stepped out for some, and some booze cravings too, although not as strong as the cigs. And, really the booze cravings are not for the taste of it but the obliteration piece which we all know is a sneaky devil - as if obliterating would have made me feel any better. I am doing much better and made it thru being sober and smober (smoke free sober)
day 152 today coming to a close. And day 69 with the cigs, although I have cheated 1 or 2 days - I certainly am NOT starting that count over again

Also stressed out recently about a friend coming to town again in May, he is someone I've gotten wasted with in the past, and he let me know he'd be around again and asked if I was in town that week. I am doing my best to not over-think it or over-stress for now. I will probably find a way to let him know over email that out time together will not be the same as last time (which was my getting drunk with him and having to stay overnight in his hotel room - I don't think anything happened between us, because I was so stinking drunk and passed out right away - but I'm not 100% certain and I certainly didn't have the courage to ask him - there is a part of me that doesn't want to know.....) I know I woke up with clothes on and that gave me a great relief. Arg. I am not sure what to do but confessing all of this here helps. I do care about him and want to see him, I will likely tell him I'm sticking to coffee and try to arrange to see him at a coffee shop. i don't know though, there is a part of me that would rather stick my head in the sand and absolutely not see him whatsover. But I will wait and see how I feel.