Notices

August Sobriety Group - pt.8

Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Happy weekend everyone! I am sitting here with my weekend drink of cranberry/gingerale waiting for my in-laws to arrive. They won't be here long as they are leaving with our daughter for a few days to their house. My wife leaves tomorrow morning to Fargo ND for a Bon Jovi concert with an Escalade of Mom's. So I have like 24 hours of freedom!!! Now what to do with it? Normally in my drinking days I would have hit the bottle early, passed out, woke up, drank more to stave off the shakes/hangover and ruined my entire weekend. How sad. This time I am planning a nice day of maybe a nap, heading out to our lake cabin to make sure everything is as safe as it can be from the impending flood that will hit us soon, and then going to a friends house to play Wii tomorrow night. Wake up Sunday refreshed and head to church. It is going to rock!

I wanted to share something that someone shared with me at my AA meeting today. He said "if we don't remember our last drink, we haven't had it yet." This really hit home for me. Basically it means that it is easy for the memories of the "fun" we had while drinking, but it is important to remember how bad our lives sucked at the time and how we were. Just something I wanted to share with you all.

Have a great sober weekend everyone. And congrats KC on your sobriety tonight. I pray it sticks this time too. Just remember one day at a time. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Hugs all, Brent
Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
KC1

BD - love the comment from your AA friend!!! Sounds like you have a great day planned for your 24 hours of "bachelorhood". When my husband goes away, I usually did the same thing - relished in the thought of being able to crack open a bottle of wine at Noon. How sad to think of that now. I am already "up and ready to get outta here" this morning. So nice to wake up so refreshed! I think my husband put me to the test last night, though. He was drinking his glass of wine here at the table as I posted, but then "went upstairs for a few minutes." He left the glass of wine sitting right here. I think he thought I might take a sip of it. It NEVER crossed my mind. He came back down a few minutes later and said "have you wondered if you could even take a sip of that" and I said "nope, not at all." That was all that was said about it.

Anyway, busy day today. Back to my caregiving duties with my grandmother and then I am going to go to the Spa for a manicure/pediure. Decided to treat myself on my TWO WEEKS of sobriety today. Yay!!!! Might be time for me to pick a new avatar as well. Something else to celebrate my two week mark. We'll see about that later.

Have a great day everyone. Have fun at your cabin, BD. Enjoy the day.

KC
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I just wanted to share about my dream last night. We were at this outdoor party type place, and everyone was drinking, and I was NOT! In my dream I just didn't drink. I find this really awesome because in all of my dreams before (even in sobriety) I have ended up drinking and I wake up thinking I had drank. This time I said no in my dreams! Not sure what this means, but I like it! Maybe my brain is getting re-programmed?

Anyways, just wanted to share. Hope all of you are well.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I've had a tough couple of days workwise. This afternoon it crossed my mind that stopping at a bar that's known for it's burgers, and having a burger, fries, and a couple of speciality beers sounded darn good. After all, I deserve it, right? I thought it through, and I know that if I did that I would get a headache or something a couple of hours later, and want to drink some more beer. By the end of the evening vodka would have joined the party.

Instead, I got pissed. I loaded up my iPod shuffle with some alternative/punk rock (yeah, even 53 year old guys listen to stuff like Green Day, Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World) and went for a run. I haven't ran in a couple of years but I laced up my shoes, cranked up the volume and took off like Forrest Gump with no idea how far I was going to run, I was just going to run. I ran 10k straight out of the gate without stopping, and sprinted the last 100 yards. I could have gone farther.

I'm surprised! Tennis (and cardio tennis) the last 6 months has made a huge difference in my fitness level. What a confidence boost! Screw the alcohol, I feel like picking a fight with Father Time and getting in the best shape of my life.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
KC1

Good for you Z - that is awesome!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

You the man Zebra! Good for you. And I bet you felt much better with the healthy decision you made instead didnt you.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
KC1

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone remembered to set their clocks forward for daylight savings time. Bummer - I feel like I have lost an hour of the day already rather than just losing an hour's sleep. I so enjoy getting up and getting on my way rather than dragging myself out of bed.

Anyway, last night my husband had some friends over and they were drinking their beer, wine and vodka. No one was getting falling down drunk, but they were feeling a bit high. I joined the party with my seltzer water and lime, served up in one of my beautiful Waterford glasses. It was fun sitting back and watching everyone telling jokes that only they thought were funny, slurring their words after a bit and getting louder and louder and louder. I thought about how many times I was "on the other side", getting louder and louder and worse yet, repeating myself. That was one of my drunk things - repeated myself over and over and over. I thought about my friend telling me the other day how "bad" I got when I was drinking - getting sick, crying, sobbing, etc.

I am already up this morning, drinking my coffee and heading out to the office to get some catch up work done. Hubby - well, he is still sound asleep and I am sure he is going to feel like hell when he wakes up. I see that he finished off a bottle of wine - not too bad I suppose for a 5 hour time period, but he is normally a beer drinker. Beer and wine together? Ugh.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day! I am on to finish Day 15!!!!

KC
Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Brent Keyes's Photos | Facebook

This is what keeps me sober. Right here.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Enjoy her will you can, the years go by really fast. My oldest left for college last fall, it left a void in our home.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
KC1

What a great photo!! So sweet!!!!! You are right - she is going to keep you sober! That should give you all the inspiration in the world!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Well, I'm back, little bit bruised and a lot shaken...

I wrote a "diary" this time of how the days/ minutes were going, and roughly what I was feeling. It's pretty interesting. I took the last shot this morning, I remember it because I panicked as soon as the liquor was gone--I had decided last night to stop today but at 7 am I was reconsidering...

I (well, before this mess) was going to at least 7 meetings a week, meditating, reading the Daily Reflections, the Bible, calling 3 people in AA (from the phone lists) and leaving them messages to have a nice day (they rarely answer anymore). Talking to people at meetings.

Then I'd come home to a lonely house... but that wasn't it this time. Not at all. I noticed it when I was writing in that diary... I was so scared of the future holds, I ran away the best way I knew how. And lo and behold, it's a week later and the future's still as uncertain and scary as it was last week... only difference of course is my body hurts and I feel guilty about wasting a week when I might could have been doing something/ talking to people with more knowledge of this to become comfortable with it.

Or at least studying for my midterms/ writing some of the little papers I have due coming up. Tomorrow I get a reprieve, it's a furlough day, so I gotta do all that paper stuff.

Take care y'all,
TB, glad y'all are doing good. Seeing it here seems more real than the real people at AA, I can't tell you why, but continue to have good days
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Bubba- I am not sure that any of us can say anything more than we have already told you. You have all of the information/knowledge to get sober. Now it is action time. Glad you are back and I hope you find what works for you.

How is everyone doing this morning? We are getting ready for the flood around here, so I guess I better get in sand-bag mode. I am sure I will be filling many of them this week.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Heeeeeelllllllooooooooo???????
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Meow

Hear the echo coming back towards you? lol

It's a beautiful day here. Sunny and about 50 degrees. Birds singing in the morning, some buds starting to pop out on trees. A great day to be alive!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi All...Back at work after my weekend in the sun.

I had my laptop but, forgot my password to log on here

Wow...it has been rather quiet here. I hope that means everyone is doing well.

Brent...how is the flooding in your area?

TB-how are you doing??????

TJ-looks like the trip to NYC was wet, but, fun.....

PC-glad you had pretty weather and responded to Brents desperate "Heeellloooo"
hahahaha
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

It is rather quiet. I am okay. Just really busy!!!

It's a beautiful day and Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!! Sorry I have nothing more insightful to say right now!

Off to work now...

Laura
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Welcome back Anew. The water around here is rising, but we just don't know how high everything is going to get. At this point it is just wait and see. Kind of nerve racking. People are sand bagging like crazy and building dikes and stuff.

All is well around here. This thread sure died here for a couple days. We must have just needed Anew back to kick us in the rear end again.

Well, off to see some clients now. Instead of going out for green beers tonight, I will be going to an AA meeting and then home for some quality family time. I haven't seen my daughter for 5 days since she was at my wife's parents for a few days. I missed her like crazy and can't wait to hug and kiss the crap out of that monkey-butt. (That is what I call her, lol.)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I just got back from my noon meeting...I was ready for it after 4 days with three 16 year olds...I love them all like crazy...but, chatty cathys they are, especially when I am ready to get to sleep.

I get rather cranky when I don't get enough sleep...

I guess we came back at the right time, as todays weather here and there is cooler with light showers.

Where did TB get off to again.....don't make us come out there after you!

Brent...monkey butt...that is tooo cute! Oh the names we call our children.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Welcome back Anew. Yeah, I have about 100 names for her like: Goofer, monkey-butt, spunk monkey, Roob, The Roob, etc. Just kind of whatever comes to mind. haha. So I picked up that book for you at my Monday meeting, but my brother is struggling with alcohol, so I sent it to him. Sooooo, I will get you another one next Monday and send it then. Sorry about that.

Not sure where TB is, haven't heard from her for a few days. Also Richard, Gofish, Zebra, Midton..... man we have some serious MIA's here.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I'm around. I've been keeping up with you guys, just haven't had much to report. I live a rather boring life.