View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Zebra1275

I've had a tough couple of days workwise. This afternoon it crossed my mind that stopping at a bar that's known for it's burgers, and having a burger, fries, and a couple of speciality beers sounded darn good. After all, I deserve it, right? I thought it through, and I know that if I did that I would get a headache or something a couple of hours later, and want to drink some more beer. By the end of the evening vodka would have joined the party.

Instead, I got pissed. I loaded up my iPod shuffle with some alternative/punk rock (yeah, even 53 year old guys listen to stuff like Green Day, Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World) and went for a run. I haven't ran in a couple of years but I laced up my shoes, cranked up the volume and took off like Forrest Gump with no idea how far I was going to run, I was just going to run. I ran 10k straight out of the gate without stopping, and sprinted the last 100 yards. I could have gone farther.

I'm surprised! Tennis (and cardio tennis) the last 6 months has made a huge difference in my fitness level. What a confidence boost! Screw the alcohol, I feel like picking a fight with Father Time and getting in the best shape of my life.