# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

August Sobriety Group - pt.8

the old part is here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-7-a-21.html

D
Old 02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YAY! Good job D! I get the first post. It's gonna be a good day.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I made first tracks! Ha!

Just wanted to report that today has been a good one compared to yesterday. I was in such a bad mood by the time I got home last night. Thankfully, though, today has been more pleasant, and I'm going to see Shutter Island after dinner. Hope it's better than the last flick I went to see--Valentine's Day. That was a real gem. Has anyone seen it yet (Shutter)? Would anyone recomend any movies that are out at the moment?

Hope everyone has a great Thursday evening. I'm cooking noodles & gravy tonight. Hard to imagine Italian sans vino, but it must be done this way, I'm afraid.

-JP
Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Damn it, Brent! You snuck in and got first tracks!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FYI Jason, Shutter Island was filmed in a mental hospital in my hometown.... just a little Trivia for you. Says a lot for my hometown, doesn't it?

I heard it was not good. Just one report.

I LOVED Up in the Air. It was my favorite movie in a long time. Have you seen that yet?

I have to go to a Middle School meeting and then Target. My daughter will be in 6th grade next year changing schools, so I have to go to parent "orientation." Big changes coming our way. Will be weird to have a middle schooler in the fall!

I,too, had pasta sans vino. Oh well, right?

Laura
Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

TB-good to see you here...stop disappearing on us...
Ma'am.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KC1

I saw Avatar in 3D and it was AWESOME. The best movie I have ever seen. It is not a "cartoon" movie, which is what I orginally thought. I would highly recommend it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I am going to go see it again.

KC
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Checking in, sober, not sure how many days. Today sucked for me (and a lot of days have lately, due to work issues). My oldest daughter is away at school, she will be home next weekend to start spring break. We were trying to wait for her, but couldn't make it. One of our family cats, is "her cat" that she got when she was about 3. We had to put it down tonight after work, he was suffering. He once weighed 21 lbs. This morning when I weighed him he was 6.5 lbs, more like a skeleton than a cat. He was fading fast and I knew his time left was measured in hours, not days. He was like a family member and it was sad for my wife and I and our other daughter to take him to the vet. My daughter at school was on the phone with us at the time, but sad that she couldn't say goodbye. The whole experience pretty much sucked.

Then, for some reason we had a power outage when I was at work, and I couldn't get my new computer to turn back on (of course I had negleted to put a surge protecter on it yet). I'm a Mac guy, and my new pride and joy is a 27" quad core iMac. Those of you who know Mac's know that this is a sweet machine. To think that it was DOA because of a power surge didn't make me very happy. I did manage to get it back up and running just before my tennis league tonight. I did play some pretty good tennis so I guess the day wasn't a total bust.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tennis for the win.

I've been doing that lately, trying to look at the positive stuff... yeah, I know, it's just that I started actually doing it all the time. Turns out I look happier this way. Who woulda guessed.

I had a busy day today. Actually been busy all week, one thing after another, no breaks at all. I'm lucky if I get 5 minutes between stuff. Ran out of energy on Tuesday, had not eaten in almost 48 hours and hadn't noticed... fixed that and have been paying attention since then.

Tomorrow is relaxation... yayy. Only 2 or 3 things to do... And tonight I'll get sleep (I hope--I've been woken up early every day this week except today, when I almost overslept and got to class 11 minutes after waking up).

Things are going sorta good, I reckon. Class work is kinda fun. I picked interesting topics (to me) for my papers, and I got a test next Tuesday. This weekend is my new me... I'm gonna actually study properly. Thus far I haven't, but I'm not as good as I used to be. Essentially, I was told that I'm unreliable overemotional and not up to my usual quality and I might want to reconsider whatever changes I've made in my lifestyle this semester.

It was kind of a slap in the face... the "changes" in question were being sober. All the incidents were 15 days + sober...

Been talking about it with some people I talk to at meetings and someone here. Possibly when I was drinking, I was more motivated to make sure everything was perfect as much of the time as possible, 'cause I knew there would be down time. Oh well, guess I gotta watch that. The problem is, sober, I'm just not very functional. So far I've done laundry 2x sober--probably in my whole life. And I had that problem of eating in January... I was hoping it was only affecting my personal life, still trying to put on that front. But I guess they see... and they don't like what they see.

So this time I'm gonna have to work on that.

Night y'all,
TB
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Laura, do you remember that crazy guy I met at BWI? The one that told me about the mental institution in Taunton and I told you that I thought he had been there? Too funny! The movie blew! I won't ruin it for those of you who want to see it, but it was a total mind screw from the start. I'm having bad luck with movies as of late.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go see Up in the Air, if it's still playing! You will love it. Sorry Shutter Island sucked. I kind of heard that from others. They filmed part of it at Taunton State Hospital, right down the street from where my parents live. It was fun have Leo, etc. in town I guess for the filming.

I am a little crazy busy right now. Just lots and lots going on and I'm trying to juggle. Yesterday was very busy. I had an IEP meeting for my son Trevor which was kind of draining, and a 2 hour middle school orientation meeting for my daughter, who will be in 6th grade next year. Meanwhile, trying to buy a new family computer and get additional testing done for my (likely) ADHD younger son. Ahhhhh..... take a deep breath.

No thoughts of drinking. One of the things that is helping me is to re-read my blog of the last couple of times I drank. They were not fun at all. When I re-read that blog it makes me think I'm a true alkie --- always wanting more. I used to always question whether or not I was. I suppose it doesn't matter what you call it, but knowing that I'm always left wanting more is a good reason to stop.

Things are pretty good, albeit crazy busy. I'm looking forward to the weekend.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. I can't give many movie recommendations for the ones in the theater as having a child doesn't allow for us to go to many movies. We rent Blu-Rays and watch them at home. Cheaper that way anyways. Sorry I beat you to the first post Jason. You gotta be on the ball buddy. haha.

Yeah, it does get some taking used to doing certain things without drinking, like cooking Italian. For me a big one is grilling. I ALWAYS did that with a beer in my hand. But after some time, it is fine. Just one of those mental blocks you have to get used to.

TB- Give yourself some time. You can't expect everything to be perfect so new into sobriety. I am over 100 days and still not 100% with everything, but MUCH improved! Just don't let it get you down. Keep the end goal in sight, and that is a much improved life with sobriety. One day at a time, keep plugging along.

Zebra- Sorry about your cat. That is sad as I know how pets become part of your family. Give your daughter a hug from me. Time heals all wounds.

Well, Friday peeps! We are having a "childless" dinner at a fine dining restaurant in town tomorrow night with some friends. I am really excited for that. They have fantastic cranberry juice there. And some of the best pasta and steaks I have ever had! I hope you all have a great weekend. I will be live in the radio on 4 hours from now doing a retirement party for a client of ours. Should be fun. Never done a live on air broadcast. We do a lot of recorded ads, but nothing live. Wish me luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a l-o-n-g week for some reason. I also stayed up past my bedtime last night watching the end of the womens figure skating. They make it look so easy....

TB-I have to echo Brent here...give yourself time. When I first quit years ago, I used to look around at my life, my home and ask, what the h*ll....I took better care of everything when I was drinking. I do believe it was because that was my fuel...my motivation...I just accepted for awhile that all those things could wait...because if I am not healthy and sober., they don't matter.

TJ-I loved Up in the Air...Jason, you need to see it. Of course, I did get to stare at George Clooney the entire movie (which, even my 16 year old daughter commented, that he is easy on the eyes). I wanted to see Its Complicated, we tried to go twice and it was sold out.

Brent...loved the "commute" to work video...is it truly just 47 seconds for you to commute to work? We need a radio name for you...hmmm...since you are a broadcaster,
whatcha think? Enjoy your dinner tonight...

Zebra...sorry to hear about the loss of your feline friend. We lost two dogs this past year, old age for one, cancer for the other. With my son at college., it was a bit of a reality check reminding me that life is going on..moving forward and changing. It is like I am in a different season now..my daughter is driving too. So, the whole dynamic of how we function as a family has changed. Some of it is wonderful, some of it is sad....I am just trying to embrace these changes as they come...

KC- everyone I know who has seen Avatar said the same thing. I haven't seen it yet..but, plan to.

Well, back off to work.....
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Anew, no. That is not my entire commute. My total commute is about 4 minutes. lol. That was just the final stretch. haha. My office is at my parents house out in the country. We live in a town of about 22,000 people. I live in town, and they live about 3 miles out of town. I actually just got a new video camera, and was just playing around with it. Glad you liked it.

Well, I am down a total of 25 pounds now. The weight is melting off. I love it! Oh, and an update on my physical I had two weeks ago. My doc/friend called last night to say the next step is a muscle biopsy. He wants to rule out any serious health conditions. Basically the muscle enzyme that is elevated is being caused by something. It is causing the muscles to break down faster than they should, and he doesn't know why. I am thinking it is stress (I have dealt with anxiety my whole life, which basically lead to my alcoholism. I was drinking to make the anxiety go away.) So I have made an appointment with another friend of mine who is a Naturopath doctor to get his opinion and to do some acupuncture. I will continue to keep you all posted.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just throwing this out there. Today at 1 CST I will be live on the radio doing that retirement party. If any of you want to listen, log on to: Welcome to KXLG - 99.1 FM and click on "Listen Live." You should hear me. I think it is only like a 2-3 minute deal. Not sure, it is my first one.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Meow

Dang. I'm too late. I was on live radio once. It was interesting, but since it was done over the phone it ject felt like I was talking to someone on the phone. lol

(((Zebra))) Sorry for the loss of your kitty.

TB - it takes a long time to develop bad habits, including alcohol problems. They aren't fixed in a day. Recovery - no matter what you are recovering from - is as much of a lifestyle change as anything else, and some of those changes are damn hard.

ETA - I'm not trying to be preachy, although on reflection is does sound like I am.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am listening to the station Brent., I am enjoying the music. I think I got on too late thought to hear you.

It is sunny and 55 here today...listening to your overcast 21 degree forecast makes
me grateful for our weather here today!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning... I'm a little late.

But so far, I've been nice and lazy. Loving it. Got a litter cleanup in a bit...

Lazy for the win.

Brent the MMA radio star... *) oh my.

Take care,
TB
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well Anew, glad you are digging the tunes. Yeah, it sounds as though most of you missed it. We actually went live at noon here, central time. An hour earlier than I had planned. Oh well. It went very well though. It was a lot of fun. We will be doing it a lot. Part of our new marketing strategy. Glad you are having nicer weather than we are. Kind of gloomy here today. Funny you are listening to a station where I live. If you listen enough, you will also hear recorded advertising for us also. Keep yours eats open for Millennium Financial Services. lol.

Hi TB. Nice name for me. It has a nice ring to it!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Meow

Weather here, in a word, sucks. It has snowed every day since we got back from Jamaica. Who did I make mad in Mother Nature's house???

TB, I want to be lazy. In fact, I plan on doing just that tomorrow. At least from noon until 5, which is about all the free time I have!

BTW, if anyone wants to watch the figure skating on line, including skaters not shown on tv, here's a link: NBC Olympics | 2010 Winter Games You click on the little video camera to the right of the skater's name.