Notices

Class of June-Part 2

Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Checking in class... all is good here ;-)
Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 29 here...almost at the 1 month mark! I know there are some others in this thread that will be celebrating one month on Wednesday as well.

Today I feel rather...slugish. I went to bed last night at 830, but when my alarm went off this morning I had an awful time getting out of bed. Even after a huge coffee I'm STILL DRAGGING.

I spent the majority of the weekend with my boyfriend. He's really, really helped me in remaining sober; more than he realizes. I love him to death! It's amazing how much better our relationship has been since I've stopped drinking. It's like night and day. I was such an irrational pain in the a$$ when I was drunk!

With this weekend being the 4th of July, holiday weekend and all...I am worried about being exposed to alcohol. Not that I think I'll be really tempted or cave in, but I'm nervous about how I'll feel if I'm exposed to people drinking. Uncomfortable maybe? I know at some point I'll have to be exposed to it...but how long do you guys think it takes to get to the point where it doesn't bother you at all to be around it? Like I said before, the whole social aspect is definitely going to be the most difficult for me...especially when I'm surrounded by people I've drank/partied with in the past. I really don't have much of a problem saying "I don't drink anymore"...i just dread feeling uncomfotable/awkward...

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I'll check in tonight...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hello everybody! Hope everybody is doing well. The board has been quiet lately. I hope everybody is just busy doing some really fun stuff!

Lindsay-I have been avoiding situations where I would be around alcohol too. I just haven't trusted myself to be in that situation.

I finally went out lastnight. My colleague has a friend visiting who doesn't really drink. So that made it much easier for me. I was asked to take a glass of wine and when I replied that I was trying to lose weight, they joked and said I have it all wong. I should drink and not eat. They were joking and it was funny. But, that was it. There wasn't any pressure and the conversation continued without making a big deal of it. PHEW!

Today I climbed up the Duomo! Afterwards, we went to my friends place for dinner. She asked to pick up some prosecco on the way. UGH....I definitely don't want to buy alcohol right now. Luckily her friend picked it up. Again, at her house, she asked me if I wanted some wine. I declined and it wasn't a big deal. YAY!

I know it seems small, but it felt like a big hurdle. I am sober and happy I made good decisions today and lastnight. I have also managed to be social for the first time in awhile since I quit drinking.

Have a nice evening everybody!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I did it again last night. I don't know why I keep doing this. I just can't do this alone so I made an appointment to get outpatient counseling here. I have my appointment on Wednesday the 8th and I am terrified yet relieved beyond all things...I am crying here and just want you to please keep me in your prayers...I don't want to drink anymore and I need to stay sober. I deserve better than this and I want it. I want the life I am supposed to have. The life that was meant for me. This is no way to live and I want to live. I hope you all are doing good...I will be checking in daily because I really need your support and I need you all so very much right now. Thanks to whoever is reading this.

~Rebecca
Old 06-29-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hey all, just me checking-in. Had a bad weekend (in case anyone missed that part)- scroll back and you'll see my post(s).
Had a not bad Group meeting this morning. Only 2 others were there.. that was odd.
Today we just talked about how our weekend went and how we coped.
'Steven' worked on his conservatory. 'James' went over to St James Park (it's a really nice park in Central London).
Me.. well see above.
One thing that bugged me in the meeting was how the guy who took the meeting didn't introduce himself to those that were newbies.. that annoyed me, because it would've helped to make us feel at ease with him (if you see what I mean?).

Anyway.. Rebecca- Real sorry that you're having a hard time at the moment.. try to remember why you stopped drinking in the first place..do you have any coping strategies for times like this? Read a book, go for a walk, meditate, phone a good friend, do some art, etc.? I remember someone posted up some great ideas for what to do in situations like this-and Carol made it a 'Sticky'.
Just because you relapsed (which many people have done here)- does not make you bad- pick yourself up and focus on the present, not the past.. I know it's not always easy, life isn't, but just remember we are only human after all, and we carry on with whatever we have to do to get us through... take care then and I hope that at least one thing I've said might help.. :ghug3
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding, I have been biting my nails for a few hours reading through old posts....yes I do usually go for a walk but I am not feeling so hot at the moment..my stomach is just churning...TMI I know, but it's more of a nerve thing. i am nervous and excited at the same time. i wish this treatment center could see me sooner but the lady who I spoke to earlier called to see how I was doing this evening, nice huh? Caught me off guard...my husband, also an alcoholic, is suggesting we go for a long drive just to get out of here for a few hours which I think we may. Thanks for all your suggestions and thank you for writing!!! I will be on all night I am sure...HUGS and MORE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

~Reb

PS I am sorry you had a bad weekend and that things have quieted down for you...darn neighbors!! Hope your feeling better...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Good Evening!

Yesterday was rather crap as I posted in the other forum. But I got through it with help and today was just fine. Spent the morning relaxing and surfing the net (including here) and then spent the afternoon with my friends at the pool. I just got back from dinner with a friend and I'm tired, slightly burnt and content.

Sorry again Eog that you had a rough weekend. It was the neighbors you posted about here, and the jerks at the market, right? Was there something else I missed? (Not trying to imply that that was a handful, just making sure I didn't miss a post!)

Rebeca, I sent you a pm. Hope your finding peace!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Jade-Sorry you are having a difficult time. It sounds like you have a good, proactive plan of action though.

I know how frustrating and helpless you can feel when you keep trying to get this sobriety thing figured out. I have had a few relapses myself.

Kudos to asking for some help! Keep reading and keep posting.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Its still June so stick with it & stay with the cool class

Feeling kind of emotional & am having a hard time being motivated for work related duties. I guess this too will pass.

Sorry to hear that some are struggling... I know its tough.

Take Care Everyone!

NB
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

IT SEEMS AWFUL QUIET HERE......IS EVERYONE EXPERIENCING 4TH, ANXIETY?........I ALWAYS HAVE A LIL TROUBLE AROUND THIS TIME......IT'S THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEATH OF MY 11 YEAR OLD OLDER SISTER, AND THE DEATH OF MY 18 YR. OLD NEPHEW....IT'S ESPECIALLY HARD ON MY OLDEST SISTER.......HANG TOUGH AND ASK UR MAKER TO SEE U THROUGH......WE NEVER CELEBRATED IT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP...I WAS ONLY 3 YRS. OLD WHEN MY SISTER DIED, AND A YOUNG MOTHER, VERY CLOSE TO MY 18 YR. OLD NEPHEW......MY PARENTS NEVER FORGAVE THEIR SELVES FOR VARIOUS REASONS.....BUT ONE BEING THAT THEY WERE DRINKING AND ALLOWED HER TO GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY TO A PIC NIC.....SHE WAS KILLED BY A DRUNK DRIVER.....I'M ALMOST POSITIVE MY NEPHEW WAS DRUNK WHEN HE DOVE FROM A BRIDGE AND NEVER SURFACED AGAIN....BUT HIS FOOT GOT CAUGHT ON A BIG GAFFFING HOOK USED FOR FISHING AND WAS HELD UNDER WATER....THINGS DO AND WILL HAPPEN...WE HAVE TO REALIZE THE BOOK IS ALREADY WRITTEN WE ARE JUST PLAYING OUT THE CHARACTER.....IT'S OUR MAKER'S NOVEL.......SO PLEASE TRY TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND ENJOY CELEBRATION!!!..................HUGS, LOVE AND PEACE.......BNME
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Wow bnme! That's tough! What are you going to do for the 4th? Have you started a new tradition? I can see why it would be a tough time for you!

I'm feeling pretty good this morning. Got my therapy today, so that always make me a bit anxious beforehand, but nothing unmanageable. I'm gonna hike and do a load of laundry, perhaps a few other things around the house... just keep busy until my appointment.

Hope everyone is well!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hey all, just popping in real quick before I head to a meeting..just wanted to send HUGS to everyone...will be back later to write more....

HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!!!
Reb
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Reb- I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. I'm glad that you've recognized that you can't do it alone and are being proactive. The best thing you can do right now is reach out for help...you'll be surprised at the amount of support you will get! You can do this...we've ALL been there. It may seem hopeless but IT'S NOT. You don't have to live like this. Best of luck to you at your meeting! I'm so glad you're going. Keep us updated.

I'm having a fairly good day today. I can't believe tomorrow is July 1st- oh how time flies. Hope everyone has a great day!

Ooo and I'm not really expecting many challenges this holiday weekend...I've been really distancing myself from the possibility of a challenge...so I guess we'll see.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

BNME, wow, I am so sorry this holiday has such bad memories associated with it. I wonder, with Chama, if you do something new now? A new tradition...maybe you can light some candles in their honor...

Chama, I hope your doing ok. I know last therapy session was a very difficult one. Let us know how your doing.

Lindsay, Thanks girl....I am doing my best right now but this freaking voice in my head is loud...I would say powerful but it's not...I have the power to listen to it and I am choosing to ignore it. =)

Well I went to a meeting. I always feel very awkward in meetings. I have only been to a few and I haven't really met anyone, nor have I ever spoken up or accepted a desire chip, even though I REALLY REALLY want one. They know I am new and smile a knowing look...it's like us alkies have a secret language. I really need a sponsor and need to start working the steps but I don't know how to get out there and introduce myself. First time around in AA, I went with a friend who has since moved and I feel very lonely in there. There is a beginner's meeting on Saturday that I plan to attend and I am hoping I can talk and share and finally get that darn chip!!! I know it sounds ridiculous but that chip means a lot to me...I had one once and I would keep it in my pocket. I lasted 28 days...and then I planned my relapse. I actually planned it so that I didn't have to get my 30 day chip. I didn't want to let anyone down so I went ahead and blew it on day 28....anyway, I am rambling now....any tips or experiences you guys can share about meetings?

Thanks everyone,
Reb
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

And Lindsay, do I smell a birthday cake????

Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

hey all.
don't know why but I've been down tonight. I didn't drink, but i just can't work this thing out. oh vell.
got the fans going in our apartment, as we have a heatwave over here in the UK (we can't afford Air Con).
Yuck. I prefer the cold. Sounds odd, but wer're all different and unique individuals, right?
Rebecca- glad you're feeling better. Sorry I can't help with the AA stuff, I don't go and never have gone. I just go to the local rehab place, where they hold their own 'lil meetings.
What's a 'desire' chip? They don't play poker there do they? (just kidding).

Chama- You were fine, you didn't miss my posting.
Hope the therapy goes okay today. You probably read this when you get back, so just leave me a message if you want. Not sure when I'll be going to bed yet, as I have to try and fool my silly brain into thunkin that I HAVE to get the sleep earlier now!
seeya
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

....and so ends the month of June. I'm typing this while brushing my teeth - I only have a second before I need to crash. Busy nights - sorry I haven't been able to share my thoughts with you folks that have been sharing so much. If I were the praying type, I'd say you're all in my prayers..... but since I'm not, all I can say is I'm wishing you all the best!
Off to bed; see you guys tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Good Morning!

Thanks for your well wishes. Therapy certainly left me a bit raw (again)... I got home, went for a long walk did a bit of shopping, made tacos and then some more of my chocolate covered strawberries.

Then I talked to someone from here for an hour. I think that's what finally did the trick. It's weird, when I'm in a 'wanna drink funk' it's like I'm in a fog. And when I come out of the fog, I feel clear, like I've just woken up from a bad dream. Hmmmm... I'm not explaining it well.

It's like this morning I can look back at my funk and see that I was operating in some shadowy, foggy, slow motion world. It almost feels like it wasn't real, but it felt very real at the time. Like when you're in a dream and it seems very reasonable that cars are turning into pineapples but then you wake up and go, "wow, that was weird!"

EOG - Sorry it was so hot at your place. I don't have a/c here wither but it rarely gets too hot. I got stuck in a heatwave in Strausburg once, staying in a hotel with no a/c... boy, that was crap! I was taking 4-5 cold showers everyday, just trying to chill myself.
I hear you on the struggling thing. What are you going to do to reinforce your decision?

REBECCA - Are you going in to IP tomorrow? When does it start? I'm thinking of you! I don't have any experience in AA, sorry. You know, I've read here that you can call the AA offices and ask for someone to come get you and take you to a meeting. Maybe you could do that? That way you would know someone at the meeting and maybe you could get that chip? I know that I've had to do some things lately that are far outside my comfort zone, but my actions are really paying off. Today I'm working on day 40!

Happy 1 month LINDSAY! Hello BJORK and NEWBEGINING! [waves]

and Happy July to us all!!! As soon as someone starts a class of July thread, we will no longer be the newest kids on the block. I think I'll try to stop in and say hello to them sometime this week.

Hope all is well!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hi, first time posting in this thread for me. June 27th was my first full day without alcohol after my last awful binge. My drinking has become worse then I had ever imagined was ever possible. I have been at it a long time and these days when I pick up a drink it completely takes over my life. Only bad things happen when I drink alcohol anymore and yet I still do, which has me feeling like I really am crazy. I'm still feeling ashamed and horrified at my actions during my last drinking binge and it only lasted a couple of weeks. I started to get a cough when I was going through detox and now I am 5 days sober with a really bad cold and yet I still craved a drink this morning. I am home now and in bed for the day trying to get over this cold.

I guess I'm the baby of this class? I hope to get to know everyone in the class of June because I really need support right now. I'm so depressed at the way I acted it just doesn't seem to be going away. I wish I would have blacked out the whole time but for some reason this time I do remember what I was like. Not something to be proud of.

That is where I'm at today.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Welcome ChameleonBoy. Glad you're here! I can completely relate to being depressed about things that happened during your binge...I've definitely been there. I'm STILL dealing with things that happened during my last time. There's not much you can do right this moment to help yourself get past it...it simply takes time...SOBER time, especially. Keep posting.

Soooo thanks guys! today is my 1 month. I'm excited, despite not having the best day. It's "that time of month" and I'm so emotional and irritable...and everything else that goes along with it. To top it all off my boyfriend decided to rehash some things that happened the very last time I drank. It's depressing for me to even think back to that stuff...I've been trying my best to move forward, and i thought I had for the most part...ohwell...this too shall pass.

I somehow managed to make it to the gym this morning at 5am before work. I think I just needed to blow off some excess steam....