Notices

Few Weeks Sober But Messed It Up. Help Needed

Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SendSleep View Post
I know I need to tell my friends what’s going on since I get pills from them, but I’m scared of being judged and losing my friends. They are mainly party friends
Those people are NOT your friends.
Just so you know

Be more afraid of continuing down a path of self destruction.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jr67;7363471]Good day SendSleep. How are things your way? Maybe you are sleeping? That would be good, but I think you thought last night that the addies you had already taken might keep you up until Tuesday morning.

Well, whenever you read this, please post on SR with an update. A lot of SRlanders are concerned and rooting for you.

I am confident you stuck with the right decision last evening and overnight (passing on the pills), but I (we) would be reassured and would appreciate it if you would give us an update. And also, I strongly encourage you to browse all around the SR website; I have learned so much from it since I discovered it about 2.5 weeks ago, and I am learning more from it every day, about others' trials and tribulations, but mostly about my own.

I have noticed that the substance abuse portion of the website seems to be less traveled than the alcohol-specific forums, threads, and posts.

However, wiser minds than mine have observed that while the chemical equations may be different for alcohol and adderrall (to take two examples among many), the causes, progressions, and (we hope, mightily) the favorable resolutions of substance abuse disorder, while unique to each person in their particulars, tend to follow consistent predictable patterns.

So I encourage you to join the Class of January 2020 in the Newly Recovered section of the website, and take it (your path to sobriety) from there.

Hope to see you soon, my (our) sleepy one.[/QUOTE

Heyy! The night was good actually, My non using friend came over and stayed the night and I had a heart to heart conversation about how this needs to stop, we're going to call in a bit to schedule a therapy appointment since there will be a waiting period. Had a nice milkshake haha last night and will have a fruit smoothie for breakfast! My little pieces of cut up fruit will be nice of that! Thank you!! I'm proud too, can't believe we threw out the pills!

I'm still awake!!! And I really just wanna sleep but I know I will once this wears off, which will be tonight/tomorrow morning. Last night I lay down, even though I didn't sleep my body I guess rested it was better than being up all night cleaning, My friend said to lie down even if I wasn't actually sleeping. I spent the morning cleaning again haha cuz the place can never be too spotless I guess lol. Lost my phone in the cleaning process but I just found it so yay! Lol

I will def look around on sober recovery and the class of 2020 thread and do some writing! I just can’t wait to sleep honestly lol.

How is your day going? It's so bright here, it's a bit annoying lol. If I venture out I def need some sunglasses lol. I might put towels over my shades if it's too bright lol. Thank you again for the help and support and listening! I hope your day is going well
Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Those people are NOT your friends.
Just so you know

Be more afraid of continuing down a path of self destruction.
you are right, I’m going to have to break it off and find new friends. They don’t legit carE about me
Old 01-20-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Friends don't sell their friend drugs, illegally.

I hope you threw them out. Otherwise you stay on this self-destruction.

You CAN throw them out. Go through the discomfort now while you don't have to go to work. Trying to detox and work? Much harder. You can be all better if you stop now.
thank you!! You are right! Friends don’t sell friends drugs. My only non using friend came over and threw them out!! Now I’m just waiting till the crash when I can finally sleep, I want this to be over so I can finally feel normal again.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm proud too, can't believe we threw out the pills!
Well done.

Stay busy. Eat well, get outdoors.

Here's that "Class of January" thread for you to join in and post.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

Welcome to Day 1.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

thank you!! You are right! Friends don’t sell friends drugs. My only non using friend came over and threw them out!! Now I’m just waiting till the crash when I can finally sleep, I want this to be over so I can finally feel normal again.
Keep coming back

You want to be free of drugs or you would not have came here

You can do it
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well done.

Stay busy. Eat well, get outdoors.

Here's that "Class of January" thread for you to join in and post.

Welcome to Day 1.
Thanks!!! fruit smoothie for breakfast, then will clean and do some writing and post on the thread and venture outside later, I need to find sunglasses lol. Hope your day is going well
Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That's so good to hear, SS.

Did your poor friend, I mean rich rich friend, for having you as a friend (and vice versa) get a chance to sleep? Maybe s/he's sleeping now? If so, when s/he wakes up, maybe you will want to make breakfast for her/him and you, or take her/him and yourself out to breakfast.

You are off for the week. Does the friend have the MLK holiday off today?

Great re therapy, I have found it helpful at times over the years, and not just about substance abuse issues either.

You sound so much brighter today, SS. Still amped, yes, but with a tone of optimism rather than dread. Doesn't mean the comedown will be easy, but I think one's frame of mind in experiencing catastrophes large and small greatly affects the quality of the events, such that they may, just may, turn out to be less catastrophic than originally projected.

Hey, you have off for the week, right? Are there any bookstores left in your fair city? I know they are disappearing from the landscape far and wide. Well, do you have a library?

Full Catastrophe Living, by Jon Kabat-Zinn, lays out, in detail, a program for understanding and practicing mindfulness meditation, aka MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction).

We can all do with a healthy dose of that, methinks.

We'll continue to see you in SoberLandia, I hope.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
That's so good to hear, SS.

Did your poor friend, I mean rich rich friend, for having you as a friend (and vice versa) get a chance to sleep? Maybe s/he's sleeping now? If so, when s/he wakes up, maybe you will want to make breakfast for her/him and you, or take her/him and yourself out to breakfast.

You are off for the week. Does the friend have the MLK holiday off today?

Great re therapy, I have found it helpful at times over the years, and not just about substance abuse issues either.

You sound so much brighter today, SS. Still amped, yes, but with a tone of optimism rather than dread. Doesn't mean the comedown will be easy, but I think one's frame of mind in experiencing catastrophes large and small greatly affects the quality of the events, such that they may, just may, turn out to be less catastrophic than originally projected.

Hey, you have off for the week, right? Are there any bookstores left in your fair city? I know they are disappearing from the landscape far and wide. Well, do you have a library?

Full Catastrophe Living, by Jon Kabat-Zinn, lays out, in detail, a program for understanding and practicing mindfulness meditation, aka MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction).

We can all do with a healthy dose of that, methinks.

We'll continue to see you in SoberLandia, I hope.

My friend got some sleep last night haha, mostly we were up talking. He’s sleeping now though going to go to the store and grab some eggs and make breakfast for him. An omelette with tomatoes and cheese lol. Cooking is actually something I enjoy, and with all he extra energy I have today, cleaning up wont be bad lol. i might also get some easy to make food for the crash cuz I know I won’t feel like doing much then lol. my friend is working later today, like late afternoon. I think therapy will be helpful too, I’ve thought about it in the past but never got up the courage to go, well the appointment is made and scheduled for next month!! Ahhh!! (Good ahh! Haha)

Thanks!! I feel better today too, like my mindset. Like my life isn’t over! I’m hopeful I can remain positive during the comedown, and having a positive attitude is everything. There are actually some really cool bookstores in the city, will definitely check them out and that book! It sounds like it could be very helpful!

oh yes, I’ll be here hope your day is going well!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Keep coming back

You want to be free of drugs or you would not have came here

You can do it
thank you! I really do want to be free of drugs. I’m sick of being trapped in this cycle and ready to break it. I want my life back and I’m ready to do soZ
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My friend got some sleep last night haha, mostly we were up talking. He’s sleeping now though going to go to the store and grab some eggs and make breakfast for him. An omelette with tomatoes and cheese lol. Cooking is actually something I enjoy, and with all he extra energy I have today, cleaning up wont be bad lol. i might also get some easy to make food for the crash cuz I know I won’t feel like doing much then lol. my friend is working later today, like late afternoon. I think therapy will be helpful too, I’ve thought about it in the past but never got up the courage to go, well the appointment is made and scheduled for next month!! Ahhh!! (Good ahh! Haha)

Thanks!! I feel better today too, like my mindset. Like my life isn’t over! I’m hopeful I can remain positive during the comedown, and having a positive attitude is everything. There are actually some really cool bookstores in the city, will definitely check them out and that book! It sounds like it could be very helpful!

oh yes, I’ll be here hope your day is going well!
Hi again, SendSleep.

It is late afternoon where you are, by my calculations, so I guess your friend has gone off to work. Maybe you're on one of the missions you mentioned, Or maybe you're out like a light. Wouldn't that be nice.

I love browsing bookstores. Alas the brick-and-mortar variety are becoming scarcer and scarcer, especially independent booksellers as opposed to chains. We are lucky to have one good one in my suburban town, and a few in the larger city next door. The JKZ book I mentioned is still in print, I'm pretty sure, as are others by him, so you might come across it in a larger store.

Used (and new) versions are available on the internet, but I only resort to that when it is the only option. Call me old-fashioned but the only way to keep the bookstores alive is to patronize them. Well, some of them these days have in internet presence as well, but I like picking up the books and leafing through by hand.

It's kinda like the difference when you're engaged in conversation with someone or a group of people and some factoid comes up, like, I dunno, What are the colors of the Italian flag? Sure, anybody can pull up the answer in a flash, then pass around the cell phone, so then I have to fish out my glasses and say, oh, yeah, that's what I thought, and by then the group has collectively lost the train of thought about why we were discussing the colors of the flag in the first place, and the actual answer wasn't really the point.

Then everyone worries about their lack of ability to concentrate.

OK, SS, I know you have a diagnosis of ADHD, and who am I to question the judgment of the brain trust behind the DSM?*, but I'm just sayin'.

* My answer: I am no one.

Now, today's short essay quiz:

How is the demise of brick-and-mortar bookstores like the Italian flag? Discuss. Or just google it. Good luck with that.

I agree, SS, your life is most definitely not over. Hang in there, and keep in touch.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi again, SendSleep.

It is late afternoon where you are, by my calculations, so I guess your friend has gone off to work. Maybe you're on one of the missions you mentioned, Or maybe you're out like a light. Wouldn't that be nice.

I love browsing bookstores. Alas the brick-and-mortar variety are becoming scarcer and scarcer, especially independent booksellers as opposed to chains. We are lucky to have one good one in my suburban town, and a few in the larger city next door. The JKZ book I mentioned is still in print, I'm pretty sure, as are others by him, so you might come across it in a larger store.

Used (and new) versions are available on the internet, but I only resort to that when it is the only option. Call me old-fashioned but the only way to keep the bookstores alive is to patronize them. Well, some of them these days have in internet presence as well, but I like picking up the books and leafing through by hand.

It's kinda like the difference when you're engaged in conversation with someone or a group of people and some factoid comes up, like, I dunno, What are the colors of the Italian flag? Sure, anybody can pull up the answer in a flash, then pass around the cell phone, so then I have to fish out my glasses and say, oh, yeah, that's what I thought, and by then the group has collectively lost the train of thought about why we were discussing the colors of the flag in the first place, and the actual answer wasn't really the point.

Then everyone worries about their lack of ability to concentrate.

OK, SS, I know you have a diagnosis of ADHD, and who am I to question the judgment of the brain trust behind the DSM?*, but I'm just sayin'.

* My answer: I am no one.

Now, today's short essay quiz:

How is the demise of brick-and-mortar bookstores like the Italian flag? Discuss. Or just google it. Good luck with that.

I agree, SS, your life is most definitely not over. Hang in there, and keep in touch.

Hey! I wish I was sleeping, hopefully soon!! My friend went off to work after I made breakfast! I went around the city, looked at bookstores, didn’t see the book that you mentioned but I had fun browsing through the multiple bookshelves! We have a bunch of small bookstores, not really many big chain ones. ! I have a Kindle but I really prefer paperback books there’s something about holding a physical copy of the book and they always have that cool smell haha!! Will have to check online for it or Amazon.

Just now I felt like my AC wasn’t working so I was going to start taking it apart, but I don’t have a screwdriver to do that! Turned out I just didn’t turn it on haha! Glad I figured that one out haha!

I wonder about the diagnosis of ADHD and plan to maybe get retested at some point, i’ve always in the back of my mind kind of wondered about it because I can sit and read a book and pay attention for long periods of time.

I’ll def be googling that interesting question!! I hope you are having a good night! Yes, hopefully my life is just starting. Will do

Old 01-20-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

SS:

Re the a/c thing: Woowoo. Slow down tiger. Sounds like a bit of hyperfocus on a detail without stepping back just a bit to notice the larger picture. And you're not in one of the warmer climes this time of year, from what I gather. Why do you need the a/c on anyway? Is your building overheated?

Re books: Yes, you shd be able to find books by Jon Kabat Zinn on line. Or maybe at your public library. No doubt they have an on-line catalogue.

Any interesting books to read at the house or on Kindle? Yeah, it may be hard to focus, but who knows. Or some more journaling or exploring the SR website for a while?

Anything else you have planned for the evening? Eating? Hydrating, hydrating, hydrating.

I'm off to dinner and a trivia night with friends and mocktails at a pub. I'll check in later. Remember SR is open all night.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

SS:

Re the a/c thing: Woowoo. Slow down tiger. Sounds like a bit of hyperfocus on a detail without stepping back just a bit to notice the larger picture. And you're not in one of the warmer climes this time of year, from what I gather. Why do you need the a/c on anyway? Is your building overheated?

Re books: Yes, you shd be able to find books by Jon Kabat Zinn on line. Or maybe at your public library. No doubt they have an on-line catalogue.

Any interesting books to read at the house or on Kindle? Yeah, it may be hard to focus, but who knows. Or some more journaling or exploring the SR website for a while?

Anything else you have planned for the evening? Eating? Hydrating, hydrating, hydrating.

I'm off to dinner and a trivia night with friends and mocktails at a pub. I'll check in later. Remember SR is open all night.

yeah, you’re right. I was just feeling like super overheated personally. I notice when I go for more than a day without sleeping, I get weird and start hyper focusing on stuff lol.

Cool, thanks! Will check that out, there’s a public library not far from me actually. My apartment is in a convenient location to most things I feel like.

I’m going to journal and explore the SR website more, and have a milkshake or smoothie or something! And yup, drinking lots of water! Hopefully sleep comes to me soon! might put on some music later and just rest, even if I can’t sleep.

Sounds good, and I will remember that. enjoy and have fun! thank you again!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I’m kinda like feeling anxious now, a general anxiety and I’m sure it’s cuz I need sleep! I’m just going to keep telling myself it will pass and distract myself. Hope everyone is having a good night!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I’m kinda like feeling anxious now, a general anxiety and I’m sure it’s cuz I need sleep! I’m just going to keep telling myself it will pass and distract myself. Hope everyone is having a good night!
Yes, it's cuz you need sleep.

And because you need to breathe, one breath at a time, like so:

One

breath

at a time.

You are safe in your (spotless) home, right SendSleep? Nobody is going anywhere, except Mr. Anxiety will soon be taking his leave.

(Breathe)

The anxiety is a feeling, SS.

(Breathe naturally, calmly, you don't need to force it, just pay attention to the breath)

Feelings come,

(again)

feelings go.

(Breathe.)

You, SendSleep, are not going anywhere. You will still be here, Strong SendSleep, when the anxiety goes on its merry way.

You posted your last post what, an hour and a half ago? What are you up to now?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yes, it's cuz you need sleep.

And because you need to breathe, one breath at a time, like so:

One

breath

at a time.

You are safe in your (spotless) home, right SendSleep? Nobody is going anywhere, except Mr. Anxiety will soon be taking his leave.

(Breathe)

The anxiety is a feeling, SS.

(Breathe naturally, calmly, you don't need to force it, just pay attention to the breath)

Feelings come,

(again)

feelings go.

(Breathe.)

You, SendSleep, are not going anywhere. You will still be here, Strong SendSleep, when the anxiety goes on its merry way.

You posted your last post what, an hour and a half ago? What are you up to now?
thank you! That actually really helped. I feel better, yup I’ve been lying down in the dark in my spotless home. I hope the anxiety goes away soon and sleep is near. The breathing actually really helped, so thank you. I was having issues getting that right and reading your post helped with that! So thank you. Yes, the anxiety is a feeling which will hopefully be leaving. I hate feeling anxious, but you are right, it will pass. Thank you! I hope Trivia night was fun! Are you laying in the dark trying to calm the anxiety. The breathing helps a lot, so thank you. I’m feeling a bit better. I hope your night is going well!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

thank you! That actually really helped. I feel better, yup I’ve been lying down in the dark in my spotless home. I hope the anxiety goes away soon and sleep is near. The breathing actually really helped, so thank you. I was having issues getting that right and reading your post helped with that! So thank you. Yes, the anxiety is a feeling which will hopefully be leaving. I hate feeling anxious, but you are right, it will pass. Thank you! I hope Trivia night was fun! Are you laying in the dark trying to calm the anxiety. The breathing helps a lot, so thank you. I’m feeling a bit better. I hope your night is going well!
Thanks, SS, my night is going well. Trivia night was fun. First question was a gimme (for U.S. folks, at least): In what U.S. city can one find the Liberty Bell? Too easy, but the rest were harder.

We lost. Lol, actually we left at halftime. It was not about the score.

The anxiety is a feeling. It will be leaving. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you have felt anxiety before. And then later, you did not, right? And then later you did. Then not. I could go one, but I won't.

Just breathe, SS.

Anxiety will not hopefully be leaving, and it will not despairingly be leaving , it will just be leaving. In its time. Fact.

SS will be staying.

And breathing.

And observing. Oh, anxiety's here. Ok, well, I guess I'll keep breathing. Oh look, anxiety seems to be slowly decreasing. What do I do now? Guess I'll breathe. Maybe sleep. Maybe the anxiety spikes again. Ok, then what should I do? Oh, I know, I'll breathe.

The feelings will be coming and going, but SS will be staying.

Accept the feelings for what they are, feelings, observe them. Let them come, let them go.. And breathe.

And when it is time, you'll be sleeping, then waking.

Hydrating, eating, sleeping again. And so on.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks, SS, my night is going well. Trivia night was fun. First question was a gimme (for U.S. folks, at least): In what U.S. city can one find the Liberty Bell? Too easy, but the rest were harder.

We lost. Lol, actually we left at halftime. It was not about the score.

The anxiety is a feeling. It will be leaving. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you have felt anxiety before. And then later, you did not, right? And then later you did. Then not. I could go one, but I won't.

Just breathe, SS.

Anxiety will not hopefully be leaving, and it will not despairingly be leaving , it will just be leaving. In its time. Fact.

SS will be staying.

And breathing.

And observing. Oh, anxiety's here. Ok, well, I guess I'll keep breathing. Oh look, anxiety seems to be slowly decreasing. What do I do now? Guess I'll breathe. Maybe sleep. Maybe the anxiety spikes again. Ok, then what should I do? Oh, I know, I'll breathe.

The feelings will be coming and going, but SS will be staying.

Accept the feelings for what they are, feelings, observe them. Let them come, let them go.. And breathe.

And when it is time, you'll be sleeping, then waking.

Hydrating, eating, sleeping again. And so on.

glad your night is going well and and Trivia was fun! And challenging. Yes, exactly I’ve felt anxiety before and then did not. Thank you!! You are right, it will leave when it wants and I will be okay, I will breathe and hopefully sleep soon and I just need to keep breathing and let the feelings come and accept it and it will be okay. Thank you! That really helped. Maybe I’m nervous for the comedown and I think I just need sleep, that’s the main cause of my anxiety I think, Idk it came out of no where but it will pass and I will still be here and okay, as you said. Nothing bad will happen to me, I am okay. Thank you. I’m actually going to have some water right now and maybe a fruit smoothie, thank you again for listening and the help. This really helped. I’m going to keep breathing and observing and I’ll sleep soon hopefully sleep soon. Thank you!! I’m glad your night is going well!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Oh, SS. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, on the subject of JKZ, but you just arrived on SobeRlandia's sunny shores yesterday, right?

This might be interesting to think about tonight, as you breathe. It's the title of another of Kabat-Zinn's v. cool books.

[Are you breathing SS?]

Ready? Here goes. The title is "Wherever You Go, There You Are."

Six words that sum up the total of the gazillion or so other words intended to impart a certain wisdom of the ages.

Still breathing SS? Thought so.

Sometimes the mind wanders. When you notice that it has wandered, notice that it has wandered. Then go back to the breath.

Your mind wandered? Where did it go? No matter. Here it is, here you are.

Wherever you go, here you are.