Old 01-20-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
SendSleep

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Hi again, SendSleep.

It is late afternoon where you are, by my calculations, so I guess your friend has gone off to work. Maybe you're on one of the missions you mentioned, Or maybe you're out like a light. Wouldn't that be nice.

I love browsing bookstores. Alas the brick-and-mortar variety are becoming scarcer and scarcer, especially independent booksellers as opposed to chains. We are lucky to have one good one in my suburban town, and a few in the larger city next door. The JKZ book I mentioned is still in print, I'm pretty sure, as are others by him, so you might come across it in a larger store.

Used (and new) versions are available on the internet, but I only resort to that when it is the only option. Call me old-fashioned but the only way to keep the bookstores alive is to patronize them. Well, some of them these days have in internet presence as well, but I like picking up the books and leafing through by hand.

It's kinda like the difference when you're engaged in conversation with someone or a group of people and some factoid comes up, like, I dunno, What are the colors of the Italian flag? Sure, anybody can pull up the answer in a flash, then pass around the cell phone, so then I have to fish out my glasses and say, oh, yeah, that's what I thought, and by then the group has collectively lost the train of thought about why we were discussing the colors of the flag in the first place, and the actual answer wasn't really the point.

Then everyone worries about their lack of ability to concentrate.

OK, SS, I know you have a diagnosis of ADHD, and who am I to question the judgment of the brain trust behind the DSM?*, but I'm just sayin'.

* My answer: I am no one.

Now, today's short essay quiz:

How is the demise of brick-and-mortar bookstores like the Italian flag? Discuss. Or just google it. Good luck with that.

I agree, SS, your life is most definitely not over. Hang in there, and keep in touch.

Hey! I wish I was sleeping, hopefully soon!! My friend went off to work after I made breakfast! I went around the city, looked at bookstores, didn’t see the book that you mentioned but I had fun browsing through the multiple bookshelves! We have a bunch of small bookstores, not really many big chain ones. ! I have a Kindle but I really prefer paperback books there’s something about holding a physical copy of the book and they always have that cool smell haha!! Will have to check online for it or Amazon.

Just now I felt like my AC wasn’t working so I was going to start taking it apart, but I don’t have a screwdriver to do that! Turned out I just didn’t turn it on haha! Glad I figured that one out haha!

I wonder about the diagnosis of ADHD and plan to maybe get retested at some point, i’ve always in the back of my mind kind of wondered about it because I can sit and read a book and pay attention for long periods of time.

I’ll def be googling that interesting question!! I hope you are having a good night! Yes, hopefully my life is just starting. Will do