Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-11-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Oh, and Awake, so sorry about your job. I know that's a scary spot to be in. Hugs to you. Do you live in an area with other jobs available? I hope you find a wonderful option and it's a new door opening for you!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Day 38....work continues to be rough. Soon I’ll start dreading going if this continues. I don’t feel I belong or am liked. So definitely had some drinking thoughts today. What’s the use? But I’m not going to drink and tackle this issue sober. Work, the first 25 years are always the hardest.
Oh love.....that is an awful feeling. s
I can't imagine anyone not liking you.....but I sure do get the feeling of not belonging
I so hope it gets better....so much love.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Alcohol has been my coping mechanism for so long, I find it very difficult to deal with waves of stress and anxiety. I bought cigarettes as a substitute. I don't enjoy smoking that much when not drinking, but the lesser evil is having a smoke. I wonder how I can quit smoking cold turkey no problem yet never lose the alcohol cravings.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good evening all...Dropped off the donated supplies and was able to fit in a run this afternoon. Running in the heat is exhausting now that I am older, but it allows me to have great sober sleep. Sweet dreams to all
Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

I'm wrapping up day #1 (again) - hello class of September. I made it through the night and dealt with the thoughts and wants - ate really good and drank lots of water, watched some of my favorite shows, and winding down for bed
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Today I'm another year older and hopefully a little wiser. Day 1 of my second year of sobriety. I'm going to remember to continue working my plan, take good care of myself and set clear boundaries. I struggled so much to get a full year, I always seemed to relapse at the 4-6 month mark. I think it was because I let my guard down and decided to just say "screw it" I deserve one! We all know where that leads......

If you are struggling to get past that first day, week, or month, remember that it takes work to protect your sobriety. It isn't just handed to you because you say "I want to be sober." You MUST take action to stay sober. That will look different for all of us, just keep doing positive things that don't include partying. Tonight is my birthday night, and here I am posting on SR. You get my point.

Thanks for listening, it feels good to share again. And hey....hop on the sober bus! There's always a seat waiting for you!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Midton, you have it hard. I'm so sorry. I hope your eye gets better fast. I can't imagine how irritating, and scary, it would be to have that going on. I'm praying for you and sending positive, healing vibes.
I got my book! So, I'm about to get ready for bed and cash in early. I love sober literature. It's one of the best things in my recovery toolbox!
Midton, have you tried books on CD or audibles?
Night all.
Thank you.

My right eye is fine and doing the burden of work. I am a teacher and it’s a bit of an adjustment but either way I’ll adapt and get used to it I sure .
Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back leo quit and anyone else returning for another go.
I really urge you to think about things you can do differently this time.

What things could you do to make this quitting the last one ever?

D
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Wildflower.

I'm really struggling. I used to be able to stop for a few days/weeks but then picked up again. Now I'm struggling to get through a couple of days. I'm just going to keep it simple today. Don't drink. Nothing in house, not going to shop, do anything and everything just to get through the afternoon/evening. Stay on SR. Thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hang in there RAL. Just get to tomorrow. Thats all you need to do for the moment.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello all. Just checking in before I hit the road. Going up to near Atlanta to load up my mother and her things and take her to South Florida near one of my brothers to an assisted living center.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

safe travels Bob and all the best to you and yours through this new chapter.

D
Old 09-12-2019, 01:42 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I can't stop smiling at this and remembering.....we were literally not even 'allowed' to consider buying other brand cars.....my sisters both crossed the line...ha ha....but I did not....I was a Holden chic all the way.....my first car was a Kingswood. You bet baby. Isn't it funny?

And guess what, I moved here and bought the US version of the Holden Barina....a Chevy Spark.
Falcons all the way here Venus haha it's always a good laugh having the banter.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Day 38....work continues to be rough. Soon I’ll start dreading going if this continues. I don’t feel I belong or am liked. So definitely had some drinking thoughts today. What’s the use? But I’m not going to drink and tackle this issue sober. Work, the first 25 years are always the hardest.
Correct me if i'm wrong but is this your new job you mean?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Welcome back Leo and Readyatlast!
WL, maybe it's easier for you to quit smoking because you don't get that much out of it? You said you don't really enjoy it. Maybe if you make a list of all the bad things alcohol brings to your life it will help. I have done that, and it helps me. When I get a craving, I get confused and need that as a reminder. I hate cravings, they are torture. They've gotten so short and much weaker, and that's happened pretty fast. Partly, I think, because I go straight to "NO WAY" when I first get the thought. I think of how sick I get when I drink, and how much damage it's done to my life, and I say "That is not an option." and I mean it. Hugs to you! It really does get easier, if you work at it.
One of the ideas I read about that helps me a lot is to imagine an upside-down triangle with sobriety at the tip of the triangle and everything else balanced on it. Everything depends on that sobriety at the tip of the triangle, and if it goes, everything else falls with it.
Bob, have a great trip. I hope your mom loves her new home and new friends in the assisted living center. It can be a great way for an older person to live.
Hang in there Quit and Readyatlast! We are all pulling for you!
Thanks Wildflower for your post, I needed that reminder this morning! It's been a tough week and shows no promise of getting any easier. I need to really double down on using all my tools. I'm going to get on the sober bus!
The book is a disappointment so far. She talks a lot about her drinking and very little about how she went about staying sober. It may get better soon, though, so I'm still reading it, for now.
I'd best get at it... Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Started the morning with a walk in the woods. There is so much strength in the woods. Going to go back to tapping into it more.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

That sounds wonderful, Awake. Have a great sober day!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Alcohol has been my coping mechanism for so long, I find it very difficult to deal with waves of stress and anxiety. I bought cigarettes as a substitute. I don't enjoy smoking that much when not drinking, but the lesser evil is having a smoke. I wonder how I can quit smoking cold turkey no problem yet never lose the alcohol cravings.
Interestingly, I was the same. And although I am sure lots of people would say this is maybe not a great idea.....taking up smoking again....I did as well when I moved here....I was very stressed, and I quit again very easily.

I just hope that the stress and anxiety lessens, and maybe add some gentle walks and sunsets.....that always helps me. Ultimately, nicotine does the opposite of calming us....so we need to add in other stuff too, I think. s x
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leo21 View Post
I'm wrapping up day #1 (again) - hello class of September. I made it through the night and dealt with the thoughts and wants - ate really good and drank lots of water, watched some of my favorite shows, and winding down for bed
So happy to see you.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Today I'm another year older and hopefully a little wiser. Day 1 of my second year of sobriety. I'm going to remember to continue working my plan, take good care of myself and set clear boundaries. I struggled so much to get a full year, I always seemed to relapse at the 4-6 month mark. I think it was because I let my guard down and decided to just say "screw it" I deserve one! We all know where that leads......

If you are struggling to get past that first day, week, or month, remember that it takes work to protect your sobriety. It isn't just handed to you because you say "I want to be sober." You MUST take action to stay sober. That will look different for all of us, just keep doing positive things that don't include partying. Tonight is my birthday night, and here I am posting on SR. You get my point.

Thanks for listening, it feels good to share again. And hey....hop on the sober bus! There's always a seat waiting for you!

Boy are we blessed to have you in the thread wise flower. s

And......