Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-11-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

I think those 'cues' are what a lot of people call triggers love.
And that's the thing....like a trigger, it is fast and sharp.....and heck, where did that come from? A lot of us feel it is our AV's way of sneaking in.....hey, look at that beautiful day, wouldn't a beer be nice? Wow you worked hard, wouldn't a beer be nice?

So I know for me, I plan for these times.....take a jug of ice water outside while doing the yard work, that sort of thing.....so we get to change our habits and have ways of telling those thoughts to go jump. s
Old 09-11-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got - Henry Ford

What recovery actually is, is starting to make sense now.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Welcome Awake! I'm glad you're here. I'm glad you joined us Wildflower, it will be great to have you as part of the class of 9-19.
Congratulations on ten days Harry Lime (can we call you kiwi? Ha, sorry, bad joke) . Seriously, though, I am glad you're here. I didn't read about your incident on the other thread, but I do know that I've had lots of alcohol induced incidents, too. And that's why I'm here, too. Welcome!
Bob, I did not like putting on the red and black. I'm not a fan of any football team. But I play one at work. Along with lots of other personas I put on. But, I really do love the spirit of it all. We had a blast. The mascot is Hairy Dog, a person in a bulldog costume. I got a great picture of him holding Charley. That was worth the whole thing. I will try to post it later.
Again I had a really exhausting day. But it's so much easier without a hangover. I am feeling better today than I've felt since I quit. My daily craving was really short. It was very strong for just a moment, I actually thought, 'well, two weeks is not bad. It's a good first run at it' But, I stopped and got a strawberry soda at the corner store. By that time, I wasn't even wanting a drink at all. That's a record for short!! For me anyway. Very grateful for that. It's getting easier!
I will see you all later. I'm so grateful for this class of September 19 and all our class members. Let's all try to be here and sober in a year!
p.s. I would so love to hear from Red and Quitnow!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got - Henry Ford

What recovery actually is, is starting to make sense now.
Oh yeah....I saw that quote for the first time after I was in recovery, and it was a lightbulb moment big-time.

Hi dear Red. xx
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Oh yeah....I saw that quote for the first time after I was in recovery, and it was a lightbulb moment big-time.

Hi dear Red. xx
It means so much more coming from a house of avid Ford lovers lol
It was a quote on my I am sober app.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

For me, it meant so much because I grew up in a Holden (Aussie Chevy) house. My dad worked there for 40 years. Ford was a dirty word.....and then I found out how amazing Henry was.

EDIT: for the Americans dear Red who have never heard of Holden. xx
Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
For me, it meant so much because I grew up in a Holden (Aussie Chevy) house. My dad worked there for 40 years. Ford was a dirty word.....and then I found out how amazing Henry was.

EDIT: for the Americans dear Red who have never heard of Holden. xx
That's right your an aussie.. Yes Holden is a dirty word is our house hold, well more a rivalry like our countries lol
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi Karen, thanks for the shout out. I’m struggling, but really hoping I can make Sept. 12, 2019 my forever quit date. I’m not giving up.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hang in there Quit,
It will get better and you're not struggling along alone.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Touching base.

I haven’t been on here much but I’m still completely sober. With my eye I have other things on my mind. One minute I’m hopeful, confident, upbeat and positive then the next I’m anxious, worried and fearful. My left, dominant, eye is basically useless at present and though I’m told it’s early and just beginning the healing process I am naturally concerned about it actually improving and how long it will take.

I can’t drive, can’t read and can’t see much more than a blur. Alcohol is the furthest thing from my mind. I’m back at work which is usually where I get my cravings but so far not an inkling. Even if I got cravings I’d be way to scared of bumping my head, lying on my back or whatever if I were drunk.

I usually count my days in sobriety but this time I’m counting my days since the operation which is basically the same so I’m around day 18.

Keep on keeping on.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome wildflower & awake

D
Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Hi Karen, thanks for the shout out. I’m struggling, but really hoping I can make Sept. 12, 2019 my forever quit date. I’m not giving up.
And we are right with you honey.....always.....every single one of us.
Feel our love and strength.
Tomorrow is a brand new day.... s ♥
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Nine

D
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Touching base.

I haven’t been on here much but I’m still completely sober. With my eye I have other things on my mind. One minute I’m hopeful, confident, upbeat and positive then the next I’m anxious, worried and fearful. My left, dominant, eye is basically useless at present and though I’m told it’s early and just beginning the healing process I am naturally concerned about it actually improving and how long it will take.

I can’t drive, can’t read and can’t see much more than a blur. Alcohol is the furthest thing from my mind. I’m back at work which is usually where I get my cravings but so far not an inkling. Even if I got cravings I’d be way to scared of bumping my head, lying on my back or whatever if I were drunk.

I usually count my days in sobriety but this time I’m counting my days since the operation which is basically the same so I’m around day 18.

Keep on keeping on.
Every day it is going to get better love. s ♥♥
You are healing.....it takes time and with eyes gosh it is hard and scary..... (eyes surgeries here).....sending healing love. xx
Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

And good morning Dee.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

Morning hope everyone had or is having a good day

D
Old 09-11-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
That's right your an aussie.. Yes Holden is a dirty word is our house hold, well more a rivalry like our countries lol
I can't stop smiling at this and remembering.....we were literally not even 'allowed' to consider buying other brand cars.....my sisters both crossed the line...ha ha....but I did not....I was a Holden chic all the way.....my first car was a Kingswood. You bet baby. Isn't it funny?

And guess what, I moved here and bought the US version of the Holden Barina....a Chevy Spark.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Day 38....work continues to be rough. Soon I’ll start dreading going if this continues. I don’t feel I belong or am liked. So definitely had some drinking thoughts today. What’s the use? But I’m not going to drink and tackle this issue sober. Work, the first 25 years are always the hardest.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Funny, Mariposa, I needed a laugh. If only it weren't true! I hope you're wrong about your coworkers not liking you though. That would be tough. But, actually, I've had lots of problems with coworker either not liking me or just getting mad. I hope it improves as I stay sober. I know I'm trying to be nice to them regardless of what they do.
Quit, it was so good to hear from you! Let us help you make tomorrow day one. I will be thinking of you!
Great to hear from you, too, Red. I love that saying.
Midton, you have it hard. I'm so sorry. I hope your eye gets better fast. I can't imagine how irritating, and scary, it would be to have that going on. I'm praying for you and sending positive, healing vibes.
I got my book! So, I'm about to get ready for bed and cash in early. I love sober literature. It's one of the best things in my recovery toolbox!
Midton, have you tried books on CD or audibles?
Night all.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mariposa

I had those thoughts too - but I had them before I ever drank.
It took not drinking, and a little time and effort, for me to face and start to deal with those feelings.

Some people see a counsellor (I did) but it was mainly just recovery, time, and a willingness to face myself that saw me grow and change.

I knew sober I had a chance of change - drunk I had no hope at all.

things do get better too - it's not always this hard

D