Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-04-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Yes Bob......I think we are pretty much in a similar place. Tho not having had the health scares.....I have been complacent. But as the years go on you realise that continually rolling the dice is just mad.

Good to know the storm threat has abated there.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
There is nothing left in drinking for me
Someone here on SR recently said that there is no longer a moment in life they would like to share with alcohol. It's an interesting way to see ending a lifelong relationship with alcohol.

So sorry you lost your sponsor. I hope you can find a supportive and more available one soon. We're here for you.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

It’s 31 days, my 1 month anniversary since I quit. Life is looking up, but still a lot of problems living life on life’s terms.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Congrats, Mariposa!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Right, for the umpteenth time I’m back but things are going to be different this time.

So, I joined here years ago and most of my best efforts were in the early days. In recent years I just can’t get through two weekends. I’d kind of given up and resigned myself to being a binge drinker ( I don’t drink most of the week but binge badly when I do)

I usually come back here, tail between my legs, after some embarrassing drink related occurrence.. then a bit of sobriety and I’m back binging again. This time though I’ve been kickstarted in to sobriety by being hospitalized for some non alcohol related problem.

On the 25 of August I drank . The following evening I was undergoing surgery. I had no withdrawal symptoms at all and no cravings at all. If things go well my full, full recovery could take up to 6 months. This is a great opportunity for me.

I’m now finishing up on day 11 and whilst there are no direct medical reasons why I can’t drink there are many many indirect risks which terrify me.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:42 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Midton.

Certainly sounds like one of those opportunities the Universe is given to dropping on us from time to time

D
Old 09-05-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 4 here. Just continuing to feel a little better each day.

Runner-I think I saw you were NE FL? Does that mean you're a Jags fan? Gators, Noles? I live in Gainesville. Yes on Jags and Gators.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

BTW-With the start of football season, I want to offer hope to changing the way we do things where booze is associated. Tailgating starts for us on Saturday. If you've ever done tailgating, you know what I'm talking about. The main recreation and focus is on drinking. This will be my 2nd season of tailgating without booze. It was very difficult at first, but then got quite easy. I would look around at all the people that had been drinking all day, in the heat, and then sometimes not able to even make it into the game because they were passed out in their tailgate spot, most of the time, puking all over the place. I have learned to feel sorry for them. I am so happy to not associate booze with tailgating anymore. Food is a much better association
Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I had to look up up what that was, we don't have them. In the Uk it means driving to close to the person in front.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

It is a very big deal here, especially with College Football in the south.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
I had to look up up what that was, we don't have them. In the Uk it means driving to close to the person in front.
Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
It is a very big deal here, especially with College Football in the south.
Oh my gosh....this is so funny....I was JUST having this conversation with my husband this morning.....I am an Aussie, and I am with FreshStart.....that's what it always meant to me as well, and I wondered what on earth are the Americans talking about?

s
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Right, for the umpteenth time I’m back but things are going to be different this time.

So, I joined here years ago and most of my best efforts were in the early days. In recent years I just can’t get through two weekends. I’d kind of given up and resigned myself to being a binge drinker ( I don’t drink most of the week but binge badly when I do)

I usually come back here, tail between my legs, after some embarrassing drink related occurrence.. then a bit of sobriety and I’m back binging again. This time though I’ve been kickstarted in to sobriety by being hospitalized for some non alcohol related problem.

On the 25 of August I drank . The following evening I was undergoing surgery. I had no withdrawal symptoms at all and no cravings at all. If things go well my full, full recovery could take up to 6 months. This is a great opportunity for me.

I’m now finishing up on day 11 and whilst there are no direct medical reasons why I can’t drink there are many many indirect risks which terrify me.
Welcome back dear Midton.....it is really good to see you.
And sending love and wishing you a perfect recovery from your surgery. xx
Old 09-05-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

They sound quite fun actually, tailgaiting parties, just like a big uk or aussie BBQ. Presumably not everyones' drinking at them too because someone has to drive away!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hi I’m in too
Old 09-05-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

End of day 5 feel brighter today, but still eating to much, have took myself to bed early again as still feel so unsettled.
hope everyone is well
Old 09-05-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Aww, try not to worry about the extra eating right now dear Tink....you will find your balance. s I hope you get a good night's sleep. xx

And hello dear Mummy, lovely to see you again. s
Old 09-05-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mummyto2

D
Old 09-05-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

.....morning all.

Weekend looming.....always a challenge.
Only early here....but already have a couple of domestic jobs done. Its amazing. Drinking literally disables me. I can't do anything. I work with computer modelling software, making parts. When drinking, the brain fog descends and it I simply cannot do it. Get off the alcohol, and the ability returns. Similar with hobbies, tasks.....drinking, nothing gets done, things sit around untouched and unfinished. Get sober, it gets happening again.

Then , of course, it turns into 'now you've done all that, let's have some drinks and admire what you've done'.....the big reward thing. Problem being that the reward cancels the possibility of any further progress. A self defeating circle.

So.....trying to break out of that one.

Ok...welcome to the new ppl, hope we can all do the weekend successfully.

later
Old 09-05-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Day 4 has been much better than days 1-3. Keep it up, all.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be here all weekend sodasoba

D