Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Count me back in. I'm sick to death of this merry go round. I want off for good.
I have felt myself get sucked back in even worse this time and I've been scared that I wont be able to come back from it. I'm realizing now that I will never be a normal drinker and I need to stop fooling myself that I can be. I either drink and drink daily or I don't drink at all. I've never actually come to terms with this before but I think it's time that I need too.
Day 1.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

(((Red))) ♥

Coming to terms with it might just be the hardest part.....the biggest hurdle.... So now you have acceptance, and I think that is a really huge step honey. xx
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Hi everyone end of day 9 for me. I defo replace alcohol with food and overeat, however I've been better last couple of days than last week. I'm trying to just take it easy on myself as i really want to lose weight but know if i put to much pressure i will just fail. Im hoping that the longer i dint drink the more my eating will even out and my weight will hopefully decrease. Think i will just focus on not drinking this month, then see how my diet can improve next month. I want to make changes but I've come to realise and learn from previous relapes i cant do it all instantly, i need to be patient and kind to myself. Little by little, step by step
Old 09-09-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hi Red.....
I'm with you on this. It gets harder to stop each time you back to drinking. None of us are ever going to be normal drinkers, accepting this is a necessary first step. We cant negotiate our relationship with alcohol.
Good to have you here.....just get the day one, and it will gradually get better from there.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

As I’ve been off work but will be starting again this week I had to phone some clients to let them know I’m back. One person I phoned was a woman in her late 60. She’s retired and relatively comfortable.now, I know she drinks every night as she’s told me that she has two cans of beer at the end of every day.

I’ve also drank with her professionally as knew that she was a strong drinker but had never seen her drunk in any way. When drinking she always kept the same placid and quiet, but confident, manner she always has.

So I phoned her about 7 last night and was just about to hang up when she answered. She was badly slurring her words and her attitude wasn’t her normal meek self. I didn’t expect this at all and without thinking asked if she was sick. But she wasn’t.

I felt really embarrassed for her (or was it really for the ghost of Midton past)but we made an appointment which I have my doubts about her remembering.

I’ve been that person so many times and much, much worse but never again.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Hi everyone end of day 9 for me. I defo replace alcohol with food and overeat, however I've been better last couple of days than last week. I'm trying to just take it easy on myself as i really want to lose weight but know if i put to much pressure i will just fail. Im hoping that the longer i dint drink the more my eating will even out and my weight will hopefully decrease. Think i will just focus on not drinking this month, then see how my diet can improve next month. I want to make changes but I've come to realise and learn from previous relapes i cant do it all instantly, i need to be patient and kind to myself. Little by little, step by step
Very sound advice you just gave yourself..... really, it is.
We need to be gentle with ourselves and take one step at a time....then it works. And it is awesome. s
Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Wo Midton....those things give me goosebumps.....the what ifs.... s xx

.....plus......it hurts my heart.....all of ours I bet for that lady. x
Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I had a long day. So grateful to be home and sober. I use to get that grateful feeling in the mornings, now I get it in the evenings, too.
Red, I am so glad you're back. Let us know how it's going. You sound like you're done with it. I know that feeling!
I'm not worrying much about how much I eat right now. I am trying to eat three meals a day and snack if I get hungry, especially eating an early dinner. I'm just starting to be careful what I'm eating though. I noticed snacks don't help with the cravings. What helps is balanced meals, with protein and lots of vegetables. I drink a lot of juice, which has a lot of sugar. I know I'll need to cut back before long, but I just don't feel steady enough yet.
I loved reading all your posts. I'm exhausted and going to take a hot bath and go to bed.
Have a great night everyone.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I thought of something else... I do that a lot!
Ready, you said you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, which of course is right. But I thought of this: at times during the past almost two weeks that I've stayed sober, there have been lots of moments when I did want to drink. It took all kinds of recovery plan tools to keep myself from doing it. I couldn't just decide not to drink, it had to be supported by the plan and my recovery tools. When the craving passes, I am so glad to still be sober. The sober me would much rather be sober than drunk.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Ready, you said you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, which of course is right. But I thought of this: at times during the past almost two weeks that I've stayed sober, there have been lots of moments when I did want to drink. It took all kinds of recovery plan tools to keep myself from doing it. I couldn't just decide not to drink, it had to be supported by the plan and my recovery tools. When the craving passes, I am so glad to still be sober. The sober me would much rather be sober than drunk.
spot on Karen

D
Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Yes love....and that voice keeps getting stronger with all of our wins. xx s
Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
spot on Karen

D
Ah ha. s
Old 09-09-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

I quit officially August 5th. September I will make it the whole month without alcohol, shame, embarrassment and horrible anxiety filled hangovers. It’s going to be clear headed mornings all September for me. Never regret not drinking. Night SR, feels great to get my head on my pillow sober.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Night dear mariposa and all of the wonderful September class. xx s
Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

I'll second that, Mariposa. Thanks for the kudos Dee, maybe I'm finally learning something!
Hugs Suze, I know you're right about that.
Goodnight everyone!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Bob...I saw the last 10 minutes of the Saints game...WOW...what a great game!
Rattle...I agree trackers are quite helpful in helping with fitness goals.
Red...I know I have felt what you are feeling...I found acceptance huge in moving forward in my recovery. Glad you are here!
I'll third that Mariposa.
Wishing all pleasant dreams
Old 09-10-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 9 here. Found it hard to sleep last night but it had nothing to do with recovery. What an end to the Saints game!!!

Hi Red. Congrats on your time Mariposa. Midton-It is sad about that lady, but a good reminder to all of us.

Soda-I have wondered about kindling myself, but have no idea what the signs are. Is it just hangovers that seem to last weeks? If it is, I definitely fit into that one.

As far as the eating goes, wasn't trying to make a huge deal out of it. I had just gotten into the habit of eating all day long, with the between meal stuff being junk. My goal, which I stuck to yesterday was to eat 3 healthy meals and nothing in between. I know healthy snacks would be OK, but I'm trying to break some habits.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

for me Bob kindling was not only worse hangovers lasting longer but other things too that I never had back when I started drinking - like night sweats, and anxiety, depression, light headedness, agitation and marked mood swings....

For other people that might include the shakes but seeing as I have the shakes already due to my disability I didn't notice any discernible difference there in my case.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

....yup, I think Dee describes it well.
For me, I realised I was in trouble when I stopped having hangovers. The hangovers were replaced with withdrawals. Instead of being hungover for a day, it would take at least 4 days to feel normal. The last couple of years....maybe even a bit longer before I was sleeping properly. Its taken a couple of weeks for the nose to stop running all the time, the itching to slow up. I see now that the alcohol kind of 'gaslights' you. Its not until you are out of it that you realise just how mentally fogged you've been.

So now its a minimum of 4 days to some kind of normality. There have been times when withdrawals have been so bad I've gone back to drinking on the third day just for some relief from it.

So its gets harder to stop, you know you definitely have a problem when you're using something to just cancel out the withdrawals
Old 09-10-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Starting day two. Just woke up to the first reward of sobriety--a solid eight hour's sleep. I know for many people in early sobriety, sleep is an issue but I've usually been the exact opposite when I've tried to quit drinking in the past. Feeling good this early morning. Need to remember this positive as I move forward.

Yesterday was a little rough with the cravings. I started working nights a few months ago and have been drinking two to six drinks before work in the afternoon. Last Saturday I got drunk enough before work that I ended up making up an excuse and calling in. This is one of the main reasons I have to stop--it's eventually going to result in me screwing up and losing my job. Anyways, I had a lot of thoughts of drinking yesterday afternoon which is why I finally caved in and posted here after a longtime lurking off and on at this website. Work itself was much better without the dry mouth and hangover creeping in as the shift progressed. So maybe that was actually the first reward of not drinking and a good night's sleep was the second.

Today's going to be a good day. No alcohol in the house and plenty of food so I don't have any excuse to go to the store and possibly buy some. If I do get those cravings this afternoon, I'll make sure and hop in here and stay accountable. Work again this evening. Cooking a healthy-ish breakfast right now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me a welcome. I'm going to go back and read through the first few pages of this class while I eat breakfast. Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day.