Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-30-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Argentina is unfolding along the game.

I secretly hope for after-match penalty series - love this game of nerves.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Another tiny thing that I enjoyed today...being able to drink my water without fighting to not spill it down myself because my hangover was causing my hand to tremble so much.

My co-worker was hungover today and every time he raised his cigarette to his mouth I saw just how bad his shaking was. He is not a problem drinker at all, just a typical eighteen year old who had a Friday night booze-up with his mates. But the shaking made me think "Bloody hell, my hand trembles would have been far worse".

Always managed to kid myself that nobody noticed, but I bet that they did. Sober eyes reveal a lot of lies.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Sober since October

So, my prognostics has failed.

Argentina leads 2:1
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Not sure if you know, but I have been through this. And I have had to think long and hard about what codependency means to me....in the end, the conclusion I came to is that I can love and protect my partner always, but his sobriety is his choice. Which was not easy for me to get to....anyway....

as AA people, we hear the term dry drunk which I do not like at all, but I get the concept....managing this disease without a program of recovery is scary for me. I couldn't do it.

I think the fact that you guys are talking about this is huge....it is not always that easy. We all have different ways of managing this though, and perhaps abstinence only works for some.

Probably a useless post....it is too early in the morning....love you Alex. ♥♥
Not useless!!! I know we are codependent and perhaps once i feel comfortable in sobriety for a while I will read some books on codependency. I contemplate the term dry drunk often. I know my sobriety absolutely cannot by contingent on his. He seems to miss the relief of drinking more than i do. But he did not have the terrible daily withdrawals I did and he does not have a job where he is helping operate on human beings. I hope he can find a personal peace that isn't dependent on me.

Thank you sao and Lizajane. I agree it is hard to think or talk about actual drinking instead of how to stay sober. A guy in a meeting yesterday was wearing a shirt that said "what do trail runs, waterfalls and german beer have in common". Kinda distracting at an AA Meeting i thought. But each time I talk about it or endure a distraction like that, I feel stronger in my sobriety.

Going to shower and make some banana bread I think. Then working at my sponsor's escape rooms later on. Hope you're all having a good Saturday!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Mr

What a great match.
4 : 2 to France 20 minutes left to go.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

"Escape rooms?" That either sounds really interesting or really scary.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Peeps
Enjoying World Cup this morning.
I AM SORE! But it is a good sore, from working my body hard on the outside rather than working it hard on the inside.
Armchair athlete this morning but will head back to the gym after the games.

Nice to watch a match with GOALS.
Day 26...feeling strong.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Great match.

Congrats, France!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Mr

We were spoiled with goals in that match Liza.
Les bleus are in the quarters
Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Vman..my hubby is always on my case about my TRUE heredity. My dad's side of the family is German and Mom's is English and Scottish. My siblings and I always cheer for Germany first, then England. My hubby is convinced that we are not truly German, but more French. He points out the family's dark hair, eye and skin coloring. Dad's family immigrated to Canada from the Alsace-Lorraine region. So he wants me to run a DNA test. All that shared to let you know I am holding France as my next band wagon to jump on should England fail me too.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
We were spoiled with goals in that match Liza.
Les bleus are in the quarters
What a game it was!

Allez les Bleus!!!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Liza, I worked at one of those labs who run DNA for ancestry. Don't waste your money..IMNSHO

...unless you want really broad answers. We've all migrated and interbred too much for them to really be much use for the smaller details other than direct ancestry which assumes you have a direct lineage you can trace yourself through birth records - and, even they are suspect other than maternal or mitochondrial line.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"Escape rooms?" That either sounds really interesting or really scary.

It's really fun! We have a cabin in the woods themed one and a Sherlock themed one. There are number, word and directional locks to figure out with clues and puzzles everywhere. It is a fun job to watch and listen to people try to "escape" but no-one is ever actually locked in! There are scarier ones in Atlanta that I hope to visit soon!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thanks for the inside tip, Bim.

Not that I am going to do this in the foreseeable future, maybe when I am financially thriving I would fancy something like this.

I am having a bout of excruciating depression. Not really much to say here. A few pages back I saw quotes about the change which happens when pain of staying where you are is bigger than the fear of change.

I have ridiculous tolerance for unnecessary pain. When by any means I've already had enough, I keep tolerating.

And I have crippling depression as by product.

I remember four years ago i was struggling within borderline suicidal depression.

It took me I don't know how many times to tell my shrink that I can't take this "home assignments" any more and probably I need meds. At some point, when I couldn't possibly take another nano gram of this I started crying and said "I can't think about anything any more. I am done. I am falling apart".

When they finally sent me to psychiatrist for evaluation I told him "Emotional pain is that bad I would prefer to break my knee caps".

I don't want to wait to break my knee caps to progress to change. But lesser pain doesn't seem to be enough to propel me further.

Catch-22.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Mr

MB we will always be here for you if you want to vent or cry. We have you.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Not that I wish misery on you, MB, but maybe this increasing suffering is finally coming to a head, to the point where you really will step forth the bud and begin to blossom.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Vinny.

Gilmer - I so hope it is the case.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Bim...yes good to get an inside look at what I have always assumed was a scam. Who knows what they actually do with their samples? It has just been a bit of fun for my Hubby to mock my family's German pride and call us French who have an identity crisis.

Midnight,
You are getting helping for this depression, correct? You learned from that last bout that you should speak up sooner rather than later I hope. These things don't just magically go away if you just tolerate. It may feel brave and strong to handle things, but if they are not improving please ask and get all the help available.
(((MB)))
Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Depression I think is like alcoholism.

I can step off the elevator at any time, before it hits bottom. For me, I cannot afford negative thoughts because they tend to spiral.

I know you don't see it that way, but it is for me a thinking problem. Are you trying to do this without medication or therapy?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizajane View Post
Bim...yes good to get an inside look at what I have always assumed was a scam. Who knows what they actually do with their samples? It has just been a bit of fun for my Hubby to mock my family's German pride and call us French who have an identity crisis.
I worked at a certified-by-the-gob'ment lab. They actually DID do a legit phenotype test, but the resulting "report" is still too broad to be as definitive as 41% German, 12% French, etc. That's not how the tests work and they are not supposed to work that way. The legitimate data is about haplogroups - and...you can research that, but haplogroups are very specific ancestral groups that are tens of thousands of years back - which aren't really that helpful for modern reporting. Depends on the "why" of the test for you.

The government did do a congressional hearing about these tests. What it comes down to is consumer expectations and the actual information in the product. It's not that it's (always) a scam, it's just buyer beware and be advised of the extremely broad and vague limits to the test. It won't tell you how much percentage German/French/Australian you are or aren't, or who moved where from where in the last few thousand years - which is what it sounded like you were interested in - and what causes complaints about these tests.