Notices

Sertraline (Zoloft) vs. Fluoxetine (Prozac) experiences

Old 07-03-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sertraline (Zoloft) vs. Fluoxetine (Prozac) experiences

Hello all.

I have been prescribed 'Sertraline' (Zoloft in the US).

I feel a lot better during the day, however, I'm suffering from insomnia.

I will be awake from 3am and will not get back to sleep.

I'm thinking about asking the Doctor for Fluoxetine (Prozac), instead as I suffer from Bulimia.

If anyone has had any experience of either I would be grateful to hear them.

Cassie xxx
Old 07-03-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

I've probably had both of them at some point during my life. SSRIs cause agitation and insomnia for me. For me, the side effects are so disturbing that I give up on them after a few days. What I do understand is that they take up to a few weeks to work. Presumably your insomnia will become better and better. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there- I have taken many antidepressants over the years. Zoloft did not cause insomnia for me but it did cause other side effects I could not tolerate.
I would call your doctor and talk to him/her. Sometimes the side effects wane in a matter of weeks. Like with Zoloft I would get sleepy during the day but that only lasted the first month. Other side effects never went away. How long have you been taking it?

I can't remember my results with prozac but I was in college then and my mother ( a psychiatrist) remembers me doing well on it. I have learned that it can take a lot of trial and error to find a med that works for your unique body. See what your doctor recommends- especially since you are also dealing with an ED. I wish you the best...
Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What dose sertraline?? Ive had both, havnt found sertraline too effective at 50 100 or 150mg, being swapped out of ssri family.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been on Zoloft. It was the first SSRI I was prescribed. It did help with my anxiety/depression, but, as a male, it had adverse sexual side-effects and killed my libido. Not sure if it affects women in the same way.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My first SSRI also was Zoloft. I stayed on it for quite a while. Lots of gastro sides that went away. Switched to prozac which was more even.

All SSRIs make me totally anorgasmic so there's no point to sex.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taking zoloft. It makes me sleepy during the day, and I go to the washroom more often. It does help my mood a bit. Never tried prozac.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses

I think I'm going to have a chat with the Doctor today, although I feel he might advise me to stick with it.

I have been up since 2am this morning (I usually wake between 4am and 5am - but that's mainly due to the fact the HGV's start wizzing past, it's never bothered me as I tend to get an early morning workout in, plus tidy round the house).

I have felt a lot more tired during the day, and lethargic, but that could be due to lack of sleep during the night.

I suffer from terrible IBS (no doubt down to well over a decade of ED's), I may bring this up with both my Doctor and Gastroenterologist.

As far as a sex life is concerned, I've been single for 5 years, so I guess this one isn't an issue (think I can thank my various addictions for that one to!)...

Aghhhh, it's so frustrating!!! (The insomnia. Not the lack of sex...!)

Thanks again, from one very sleep deprived Cassie x
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would suggest to start seeing a therapist. They can get your meds dialed in beyond what a GP can do.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have recently been prescribed Brintellix which is an SMS, different from an SSRI. It is like night and day. I feel like a normal person again- or possibly for the first time in my life. There have been some side effects getting started, mostly diarrhoea and nausea, but they are not so bad that I can't handle them and I hope they go away. No sexual side effects or appetite issues. Other anti-depressants zapped me of all life, I was tired, lethargic, had no interest in anything. This is completely different. I am facing one of the toughest moments of my life coming off a one-day, life changing relapse but feel I can face the consequences with strength and humility. It is the best medication I have ever tried and I've tried just about all of them. I just hope it stays this way. Give it a google for more information and then ask your doctor if you are interested.