Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Goodbyeevan
I understand your Hubby a bit. Sometimes I am reading a thread and I want to help them. There is so much talk about the drinking they did on their relapse that it starts to bother me and make me think about drinks. I see myself in the bar etc. I just move along to another post. I feel awesome talking to someone about their AV and ways to manage it. When they start to say something specific that their AV is calling them to do, if it was the drinks I liked, I struggle.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Mr

Good morning to all the weekenders.
It's a pleasure to have you in the weekender SkyFullOfStars !

The forecast is looking good in France too Andy

Strength to those struggling.

Snufkin how are you doing. ?

How are you all doing this fine morning...?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders skyfullofstars! Congratulations on reaching day 3.

Sorry you are feeling anxious goodbyeevan. The only thing I can suggest is to keep (gently) trying to get him to open up about it a bit more. As a single person I do not have someone close enough that I can open up to but that has not hindered me so far so fingers crossed it will be the same for him.

I woke up with a mild headache this morning, I bingewatched the last few episodes of Swedish crime drama The Bridge last night which may account for it. It was excellent though.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post

Looking forward to waking up feeling fresh, well rested and relief that I didn't cave. Looking forward to building up my self respect again.

Enjoy the amazing weather, everyone!
Welcome to the weekend thread sfos! I read your posts on your current attempt at getting sober. Wishing for you to keep going well!

Thanks also for your posts gbe.

Being up early on a Saturday and feeling great is a blessing.

Most of you in the northern hemisphere seem to be having some heatwave. Its mid winter here in South Africa, and although it does warm up to about 20 Celcius during the day, its now about 5!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I bingewatched the last few episodes of Swedish crime drama The Bridge last night which may account for it. It was excellent though.
it was excellent I thought, rather sad that was the last season though.

I watched the first three or four on iPlayer a while back, then went off & found the rest on t'interweb. delayed gratification ... what's that then?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I absolutely love crime and investigation television series from the Scandanavian countries!

Last edited by CaptainHaddock; 06-29-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-29-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

^^ I love Scandi crime dramas too! Did you watch 'Trapped' the Icelandic series? Really recommend, it was excellent!

Happy Saturday, everyone. I will not drink today. Loved waking up yet another day hangover free and feeling rested
Old 06-30-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

^^ I love Scandi crime dramas too! Did you watch 'Trapped' the Icelandic series? Really recommend, it was excellent!

Happy Saturday, everyone. I will not drink today. Loved waking up yet another day hangover free and feeling rested
Yes Skyfullofstars, waking up hangover free is sooo good. Every single morning since I stopped drinking I’m deeply grateful for this
And thanks for this in your signature, it really resonates with me
“Alcohol gave me wings but then it took away the sky“
So very very true
Old 06-30-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

LOVELY to see you again
I think I already told you how much I love your username.....it makes me happy.

waves to everyone ♥♥
Old 06-30-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
Sunset hike was beautiful. Found our own private viewing rock. Next time I will bring bug spray!

Wondering about our different paths of recovery. He mentioned tonight about how when I talk about AA it makes him think more about drinking. He says he couldn't go to meetings because talking about alcohol makes him want to drink. Out of sight, out of mind he said. Trying not to borrow trouble. Maybe I'm overreacting. It just seems like the wrong way to go about staying sober. What do I know though? Sometimes I just feel like saying, if you're going to drink eventually, just get on with it! I feel like there's a reservation there and it scares me. He's a hard one to get to open up, even after 6 years together. I love him and don't want to lose our new sober lives together but sometimes I worry. I just went over my fears with my sponsor today and one of my big ones is losing my sobriety so I guess that's why this is on my mind.
Not sure if you know, but I have been through this. And I have had to think long and hard about what codependency means to me....in the end, the conclusion I came to is that I can love and protect my partner always, but his sobriety is his choice. Which was not easy for me to get to....anyway....

as AA people, we hear the term dry drunk which I do not like at all, but I get the concept....managing this disease without a program of recovery is scary for me. I couldn't do it.

I think the fact that you guys are talking about this is huge....it is not always that easy. We all have different ways of managing this though, and perhaps abstinence only works for some.

Probably a useless post....it is too early in the morning....love you Alex. ♥♥
Old 06-30-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
Hmmm love love love this. I was already planning a sunset hike with my bf but the addition of some snacks may be in order too. I am lucky I have so many mountaintops to choose from.

Hope you're doing ok today Snuf. I think lots of us are probably familiar with that line of thinking, at least I am. Get messed up and have fun but then when you're home and alone with your thoughts the self harm creeps in. Please message me if you want or before you go have drinks with your mates. The last time i relapsed after 21 days of not drinking, I was sitting on my porch railing just wishing I had the "guts" to jump off and break my legs or die. I can't count the times I acted out while drunk and tried to harm myself, sometimes successfully. I wanted attention, I wanted to feel the pain I felt inside, I wanted relief, I wanted help. I woke up the next day after that relapse and went to AA and got a sponsor. Whether it's AA or SR, get yourself someone you can call when the temptation rises. Both the drinking and the self harm. These thoughts are not us. They are alcohol and mental illness. Only with time can we heal and learn to love ourselves as we are. Much love to you today lady.
Oh I am so glad you are not in that place anymore love.....you see how far you've come, yes? It's a beautiful thing to watch.

And snuf honey.....love you to bits.... ♥♥♥♥♥
Old 06-30-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Mr

It's BBQ sober weather.
The ribs are smelling good.

It's good to be sober and drug free.!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I’ve got the weekend alone, and I’m delighted.

So different today from several years ago. Several years ago, I would have been gulping booze down the second my family stepped out the door, and lolling around in a constant stupor—now I am free and able to appreciate and enjoy real experiences instead of withdrawing from the possibilities of life.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday night, we went for a lovely long walk on the beach today, it was just beautiful and very soon I’m going to bed sober for the 7th Saturday in a row it will be lovely to wake up to another lazy Sunday morning hangover-free. These mornings don’t get old, I appreciate every single morning I wake up and remember with a huge sense of relief... “I didn’t drink last night” ❤️
Old 06-30-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

That’s terrific, Willow!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I’ve got the weekend alone, and I’m delighted.

So different today from several years ago. Several years ago, I would have been gulping booze down the second my family stepped out the door, and lolling around in a constant stupor—now I am free and able to appreciate and enjoy real experiences instead of withdrawing from the possibilities of life.
Oooh enjoy the weekend to yourself Gilmer! Blissful ❤️ And even more so sober
Old 06-30-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

...Happy Saturday, everyone. I will not drink today. Loved waking up yet another day hangover free and feeling rested
I will not drink today.

I will not drink today. When you can post those words out loud here on SR, they become very powerful. You externalize your commitment and in turn, those words give back strength.

I will not drink today.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
...We all have different ways of managing this though, and perhaps abstinence only works for some...
From my perspective, one can't do abstinence only without effecting personal growth. Abstinence only is how I approched this problem, I don't do AA, but no way I could've done this without you guys. SR is a great tool for learning and growing. Nope abstinence only doesn't work if you also expect to remain stagnant.

So speaking of AA, the thought of attending a gathering of like minded individuals has been bouncing around in my head. Not 12 step, but the group therapy aspect is attractive.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree Dragon, just trying to be open-minded...
Old 06-30-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Good Morning, invisible friends. I decided to join this weekend party because I am home alone after a long business trip and feel I could get a bit wobbly on the drinking front. Thanks all for being here. I'll be checking in again.