Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-30-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Great game. Congrats Uruguay. I enjoyed that.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Bravo, Uruguay!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Sober since October

"Dying is easy. Living is a pain in the butt. It’s like an athletic event. You’ve got to train for it. "
Jack Lalanne

Yep, big pain in the butt.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hi. Could do with a hug too. This lovely warm weather is quite triggering... and Mr P is having an ice cold cider...
The rest of the bottle will live in my fridge till he drinks it... he's good and won't have too much as he will be driving tomorrow.
Just don't like it in my fridge 😏
Sorry to moan. Love to all.xx
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hugs, petals.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Petals.

I hate it in my fridge, too.

Might it be an option to buy a mini-fridge and keep it somewhere other than the main area?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

good to see you petals

eugh, these people who can leave half a bottle in the fridge, just weird
Old 06-30-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

I hope you have a good sleep, Snuf!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you petals!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut" I just read this quote my Ernest Hemingway (I think, there seems to be some debate) Anyway, it is growing on me. I might remind my friends of some of the things they said they were going to do whilst tipsy, to put it mildly.

Have a great Saturday evening Weekenders, Tetra, Snufkin, it would be even better if you both posted.

Goodnight gang.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Just a word ....

Talking to professionals, going to meetings- IS hard work, it IS actions, it is not just stuffing about not doing the hard yards.
We change our thinking through what we do- over and over and over again.
The thought defines the emotions which is reflected in what we do. The hard grind- of tackling this stuff day after day - hour after hour or even minute by minute IS hard. It is not as glamorous as climbing a mountain - there is no 'woo-hoos' for me in this. BUT- every now and then I will take stock and look back at what I have achieved- over the last few days, months- and write down what I have achieved..and it helps.
I do not feel any different until I take the time to look back and reflect. It is just as harming- for any of us to ignore what we achieve- to congrat ourselves as it is to just focus on the bad memories we may hold.

Support to all.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

What a craaaaaazy evening at work I had! It was ridiculously busy and in the kitchen it was only the main chef and myself on the starters, desserts AND dish washing. When the chef asked for a beer I had to bite my tongue not to ask for one too. I asked for Diet Coke instead.

I reminded myself that in my split I had money saved from not drinking to treat our other coworker to some lovely presents for her birthday - all of which she loved by the way, which made me feel even better. Normally in that split I would have had a few beers which would put me at tipsy but enough to hide it.

There is no way I would have coped with how crazy tonight was with the orders if I had had those beers, no way. The chef was singing my praises and will tell the head chef tomorrow how pleased he was with me.

At some point in the night the chef started doing vodka shots as we had almost finished up, I just had to do my usual closing down jobs, and because I was so busy I didn't realise how wasted he was. The vodka was on top of about six/seven pints of beer. He ripped off one of the fridge doors and was kicking and punching it all over the backyard area which is sealed off for the kitchen and screaming the C word over and over. Then he disappeared. Turns out just before then he had shouted at and threatened another coworker from front of house, in the bar and in front of customers. So he will be in trouble for that tomorrow.

I saw him in the back corridor throwing himself against a door over and over again which was terrifying to watch and I thought best to keep away. So scary to watch someone so drunk they can't control themselves like that. And that person has been me in the past.

Theeeeeeeeen, I drove birthday girl home and on the way we witnessed four lads all holding beer cans having a fight in the street. *Sigh*

Maybe this sounds silly, but I really think the universe is telling me I am on the right path by throwing me all these ugly scenes caused by alcohol. So happy I didn't drink today
Old 06-30-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hi folks, Jumping on here!

Sky, Well done and what a great reminder. In a way, I’m needing some of these ugly reminders of what alcohol does to so many. Not to be wishing ill upon people, but it seems in my world, my little pockets of friends and family, all is rosy and grand with wine and beer. I know it can’t be. I can’t be the only one with the struggle in my little world.

Glad you are safe and well done at work!!
Old 06-30-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

(((MB))) thanks for posting with such openness and honesty.
I’ve struggled with depression of varying intensity for most of my adult life. I’m almost certain that for me, depression is tied up with drinking. I started drinking in my teens and depression started around the same time. I still have bouts of “falling into the black hole” as I call it. I’ve been on and off different meds over the years but they all cause me to be zombie-like, sluggish and sleepy. I’ve never told the doctors how much I was drinking either.... I’m off prescription meds and I’ve been on a natural same and multivit B supplement for about 2 years now which seems to help even things out a bit for me but I still struggle, some days more than others. Overthinking about it can be counterproductive. I have to move. Take action. Sometimes I’ve moved house, moved relationships, moved jobs etc and I get a temporary reprieve. But it always sneaks back. So that didn’t really work long term as I was just changing the setting for the depression and it was only held at bay by being busy changing my life situation. Plus I was always drinking. So I think as well as not drinking, I have to keep moving my body in regular physical activity rather than moving my life to somewhere /something else. I’ve gradually realised that for me, yoga is one of the things that helps me stay out of the black hole. It’s still there but I don’t seem to fall in it quite as often or as deeply. I’ve been doing yoga on and off for the last 20 years or so and I’ve started to notice a pattern. When I do it regularly over a period of time (weeks to months) the depression is less intense. When I stop, the depression slowly sneaks up on me until I find I’m back down in the black hole again and have to scrabble at the sides to climb back out. Since I stopped drinking I’ve been slowly getting back into doing some regular yoga, about 3 or 4 times a week and I’m feeling a bit better although my emotions are still a bit of a roller coaster. Probably a combination of not drinking and doing regular exercise are helping together to smooth things out. It’s not a complete fix-everything for me, but it does seem to help. I think it’s more than physical exercise, it’s kind of like I’m getting in touch with the source of my inner strength, higher power, the universe or perhaps God, I think it’s simply feeling connected. That I’m not alone in my struggle. Perhaps that’s all it is, the feeling that I’m not alone. I don’t always feel that way, and it’s usually when I feel alone that I fall in the hole. And then in the past I would drink more. Viscous cycle. I haven’t ever been to AA and I’m not overly religious, but I think the sense of connection they bring is really important for recovery. I really think feeling “not alone “ is important to us all, no matter what means or tools we use to find that connection. I think SR is great for a sense of connection. Knowing we’re not alone in our struggle ❤️
Thank you
Old 06-30-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Wow, SFOS! What a story! Glad you kept your nose clean!

Welcome, Quitnow!

The consistent yoga schedule seems the way to go, Willow.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Thanks Gilmer, I do wonder how I would have reacted if I had been tipsy too. If I would have reacted badly and fought fire with fire or made a stupid joke out of it that he wouldn't have found funny in that type of rage.

It would most definitely have been one of those two; I was almost always either a cocky, aggressive drunk or a cocky, wise cracking drunk. But sober me minded my own business, got on with my job and remained calm. Like you said, I kept my nose clean which is a relieving feeling

Excuse me while I just polish my halo here!

Quitnow4, do you think your alcohol voice is maybe romaticising drinking a little to try and reel you in again? In the pub I see the regulars having a few pints, chatting with their mates and never getting tipsy, just relaxed. Or people enjoying a glass (A glass, madness!) of wine with their dinner.

It is hard not to miss booze when you watch 'normal' drinkers who drink because they are enjoying it, not because they have/need to. I just remind myself I am not like them and never will be again. The ability to have a few drinks before going home and not having any more is loooooooong behind me.

Take a drive through any town centre after 2am and the ugly reality shows. Nothing good happens after 2am when alcohol is involved.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post
Quitnow4, do you think your alcohol voice is maybe romaticising drinking a little to try and reel you in again? In the pub I see the regulars having a few pints, chatting with their mates and never getting tipsy, just relaxed. Or people enjoying a glass (A glass, madness!) of wine with their dinner.

It is hard not to miss booze when you watch 'normal' drinkers who drink because they are enjoying it, not because they have/need to. I just remind myself I am not like them and never will be again. The ability to have a few drinks before going home and not having any more is loooooooong behind me.

Take a drive through any town centre after 2am and the ugly reality shows. Nothing good happens after 2am when alcohol is involved.
Yes, I've acknowledged that it is the AV trying to sneak its ugliness back in. I agree. A glass is never enough...or two...or three!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Lizajane View Post
Vman..my hubby is always on my case about my TRUE heredity. My dad's side of the family is German and Mom's is English and Scottish. My siblings and I always cheer for Germany first, then England. My hubby is convinced that we are not truly German, but more French. He points out the family's dark hair, eye and skin coloring. Dad's family immigrated to Canada from the Alsace-Lorraine region. So he wants me to run a DNA test. All that shared to let you know I am holding France as my next band wagon to jump on should England fail me too.
I did the ancestry DNA test recently, didn't really need it to tell me I'm 97% British.....
Old 06-30-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Been a busy week, helping to pack uncles condo. But it's ready for tomorrows open house. I get a day of rest yay!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Just put a strawberry pound cake in the oven for tomorrow. One of my sister sponsee's is celebrating 3 years at our home group meeting. Contemplating a glaze for it perhaps. Baking while watching the new season of "Nailed It!" on Netflix is highly enjoyable. Hoping my creation turns out better than theirs! The banana bread from earlier turned out pretty dang good I have to say. It's alot easier to keep track of measurements when I'm not half a bottle of wine in. So grateful for sobriety and for all of you.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just liek I can;t fit into the clothes I wore as a child,m or even as a younger man, so I can't fit the pain I used to wear either.

Each and everyone of us has the right to life without pain or fear

I hope everyone here will claim that right

D