Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Depression I think is like alcoholism.

I can step off the elevator at any time, before it hits bottom. For me, I cannot afford negative thoughts because they tend to spiral.
Good metaphor Bim, but the situation is a little bit different.

If to expand the metaphor I have a choice to either wait for the uncontrollably falling elevator to hit the bottom or to jump into the empty space in between the floors. Because for the moment there are no floors to step on.

Right now I don't see the therapist.

The reason I am reluctant because when I finished my latest round of therapy (if I am not mistaken, in November) I noticed a tendency that I feel better and elated right after the session. But the effect wears out by the end of the day and I am back to the feeling of being stuck.

Back then I told her "you know, I think I've done all the thinking possible, and the only cure left is action. Until I act myself into change there will be no quality change in my life".

She sent me to training to improve self-confidence and communication skills.

Usually I follow through any program up to the end - just because I hate quitting.

That time enough was enough: after a round of discussing why everyone was there a lady in her mid fifties spoke. She was on the verge of tears because her daughter didn't want to see her. And she felt like she is a burden to everyone just because she exists.

I just was sitting there frozen. Wow. That was exactly how I was feeling.

I didn't come back because I know that talking doesn't foster confidence. It may give some clarity about what's going on with you, but I've been there.

There was a stage when talking helped me a lot. It's time for doing. And that 's where the biggest fear stands in the way.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
saoutchik

skyfullofstars that's great that you could treat your co-worker like that, no small thing at all. Reducing that demand on our finances is another positive by product of not drinking.

MidnightBlue i'm sorry you are going through a bout of depression. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you have achieved much more than most since I joined SR. If you only ever aim for perfection then that will likely cause disappointment. Your best is more than good enough.

Just back from Broadgate Square and the big screen. What a dramatic game of football. Some of my friends have been drinking since just before kick off and other people there somewhat longer I have no doubt. I have returned home for the Uruguay - Portugal game as one lunchtime game is enough time to be around drinkers.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

If to expand the metaphor I have a choice to either wait for the uncontrollably falling elevator to hit the bottom or to jump into the empty space in between the floors. Because for the moment there are no floors to step on.
Well I'm a skydiver, so I say jump.

It's not the fall that kills, it's the sudden stop.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I think I learned a lot from skydiving. Nothing could possibly scare me more than that split second when one foot was still touching the plane but I was already committed by gravity.

Not much else could ever frighten me like that. I did it several hundred times, so I probably needed to really learn that lesson.

((MB))
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Sao. I am going to watch Uruguay vs Portugal too.

Well I'm a skydiver, so I say jump.

It's not the fall that kills, it's the sudden stop.
Yes, it looks and feels like time for me to jump.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I think I learned a lot from skydiving. Nothing could possibly scare me more than that split second when one foot was still touching the plane but I was already committed by gravity.

Not much else could ever frighten me like that. I did it over a thousand times, so I probably needed to really learn that lesson.

((MB))
This one really hits home, Bim.

I am stuck in this moment with one foot touching the plane and the other one committed to explore new horizons and dive into uncertainty.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Thank you, Sao. I am going to watch Uruguay vs Portugal too.

Yes, it looks and feels like time for me to jump.
Okay, just to be clear, I meant to walk through the fear, MB.

You're not in danger, are you?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Sorry, Bim.

I am safe, in front of my laptop, with a bowl of cherries, shamelessly ignoring the commentator's request to stand up whilst Uruguay anthem is being played.

Thank you for caring)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Welcome, skyfullofstars and LoveHateWine. Nice to meet you.

What fabulous discussions going on! Goodbyeevan, by simply talking about/sharing the journey of your recovery with your boyfriend, he may come to understand that recovery is much more than sobriety and that finding true self-change and recovery is the true secret to satisfying success.

I understand your oh friend’s concern that he would all the talking of alcohol triggering. As LizaJane mentioned, I, too, find some SR threads a bit triggering.

(((MB))). Hope you soon find the catalyst for the peace and the change that you are seeking.

Sending special thoughts to Snuf. Hope to hear from you.

Having a difficult breathing day so signing off.

Love to all.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Mr

for my portugese work colleague I'm cheering on.... URUGUAY.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
It's really fun! We have a cabin in the woods themed one and a Sherlock themed one. There are number, word and directional locks to figure out with clues and puzzles everywhere. It is a fun job to watch and listen to people try to "escape" but no-one is ever actually locked in! There are scarier ones in Atlanta that I hope to visit soon!
I believe they are everywhere now. I want to go: the ones in Columbus are supposed to be awesome.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Mr

Take care Leigh..
A mouthful of Ventolin (salbutamol)
Time for the match.
Bon match.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Sorry, Bim.

I am safe, in front of my laptop, with a bowl of cherries, shamelessly ignoring the commentator's request to stand up whilst Uruguay anthem is being played.

Thank you for caring)
Atta girl! Rebel!

I just made a big smoothie. It's my big breakfast big dessert.

Here: Share-zees

Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Take care Leigh..
A mouthful of Ventolin (salbutamol)
Time for the match.
Bon match.
Yes, it is a ProAir day, Vinny.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inside tip, Bim.

Not that I am going to do this in the foreseeable future, maybe when I am financially thriving I would fancy something like this.

I am having a bout of excruciating depression. Not really much to say here. A few pages back I saw quotes about the change which happens when pain of staying where you are is bigger than the fear of change.

I have ridiculous tolerance for unnecessary pain. When by any means I've already had enough, I keep tolerating.

And I have crippling depression as by product.

I remember four years ago i was struggling within borderline suicidal depression.

It took me I don't know how many times to tell my shrink that I can't take this "home assignments" any more and probably I need meds. At some point, when I couldn't possibly take another nano gram of this I started crying and said "I can't think about anything any more. I am done. I am falling apart".

When they finally sent me to psychiatrist for evaluation I told him "Emotional pain is that bad I would prefer to break my knee caps".

I don't want to wait to break my knee caps to progress to change. But lesser pain doesn't seem to be enough to propel me further.

Catch-22.
Yes love.....you have tolerated a lot of pain, and you can take a great deal. I have that trait big time....I had to learn to find another way to propel myself....pain would not have gotten me anywhere.

Why can't passion propel you? Your love of writing, boxing, our quest to know what this life means....these are passionate drives.....

Just my thoughts. xx ♥♥
Old 06-30-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Your smoozie looks super-cool, Bum.

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

Why can't passion propel you? Your love of writing, boxing, our quest to know what this life means....these are passionate drives.....

Just my thoughts. xx ♥♥
This is a great question, Venus.

I keep asking myself the same.

I have the block inside - that it is luxury I can't afford, that the only thing I can afford is pain.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Yay Uruguay!

1:0
Old 06-30-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I am having a bout of excruciating depression. Not really much to say here. A few pages back I saw quotes about the change which happens when pain of staying where you are is bigger than the fear of change.

I have ridiculous tolerance for unnecessary pain. When by any means I've already had enough, I keep tolerating.

And I have crippling depression as by product.
sorry ((MB)), that was me. it was just something I've found helpful in the past, I didn't intend for it to trigger anyone

I hope you can find a way to be kinder to yourself - no-one deserves to have to tolerate unnecessary pain

Old 06-30-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry, Bim.

Thank you for caring)
This reminds me of a story I read in former Republic of Ireland player Andy Townsend's biography. In the early 1990s the rules were changed which meant you only needed one grandparent from a country to play for it which led to an influx of not very Irish players playing for them. During an away game against one of the then newly formed Baltic states a younger player started sniggering during the national anthems. "What are you laughing at?" whispered senior player David O'Leary. "The funny national anthem "said the unnamed player. "It's ours" said O'Leary.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
sorry ((MB)), that was me. it was just something I've found helpful in the past, I didn't intend for it to trigger anyone

I hope you can find a way to be kinder to yourself - no-one deserves to have to tolerate unnecessary pain

No, no, Andy!

It didn't trigger me by any means!

The pain stemming from my past wounds and overtolerating the unnecessary pain inflicted on me has been living inside me every day of my life.

Your post rather gave stimulus to finally evicting it.

So, thank you!

Sao - This story made me smile.

You are awesome, guys.