Notices

22 years old

Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hard to believe it'll be June next week. Work has definitely kept me busy, for better or worse. But at the rate time is flying, I feel like the weekends are just simply not enough. I mean sure, I'm making some money, but to what end? Is this my routine now, wake up, go to work, come home, repeat x5? Whatever though. Honestly, probably the *only* thing I have to look forward to is the improving weather. Ain't that sad?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Have you thought about trying to contribute to other peoples threads? Maybe to be a bit move involved in this community?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Have you thought about trying to contribute to other peoples threads? Maybe to be a bit move involved in this community?
I figure I spend enough time on the computer as it is.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by TorchedGrave View Post
Ain't that sad?
I signed up for a stand-up comedy class to start introducing rewarding activities into my life. I will soon add other classes well. I am finding that I need other activities in my life to make it satisfying.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Is this my routine now, wake up, go to work, come home, repeat x5? Whatever though. Honestly, probably the *only* thing I have to look forward to is the improving weather. Ain't that sad?
Honestly, some of your posts just blow my mind. My words exactly when I was headed back to the beer bottle:

"I'm so sick of this, all I do is get up, go to work, come home, eat, watch tv, and go to bed. Or on the weekends do the same but clean the house and go grocery shopping. I feel like I'm just existing and waiting to die!"

The above (for me, not saying you) was "I am going to find an excuse to drink eventually if I repeat that phrase enough".

I don't know why I thought that I should be assigned my own entertainment committee. What I do in life is up to me. Harping about never doing anything but the mundane was totally on me.

Another note, you talk about the weather a lot. Are you also weather mood affected as I am? I have an entirely different day when the sun is beaming and it's nice out as opposed to when it's rainy and dreary. It's like whatever the weather is denotes my thought process and mood for the day. If that's the case I totally understand.

With where you live there has to be a wealth of sober, interesting and fun things to do?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Could it possibly be that a way to be happy is to make someone else happy? Also, it's Spring. Irises, lilies, lilacs, azaleas. A sunny day. A sunset. A smile.

W.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Another note, you talk about the weather a lot. Are you also weather mood affected as I am? I have an entirely different day when the sun is beaming and it's nice out as opposed to when it's rainy and dreary. It's like whatever the weather is denotes my thought process and mood for the day. If that's the case I totally understand.
That's me. I want to slit my wrists when it's anything but 0% cloud cover and 95+ fahrenheit. It's genetic.

With where you live there has to be a wealth of sober, interesting and fun things to do?
I think that's true anywhere.

"I'm so sick of this, all I do is get up, go to work, come home, eat, watch tv, and go to bed. Or on the weekends do the same but clean the house and go grocery shopping. I feel like I'm just existing and waiting to die!"

The above (for me, not saying you) was "I am going to find an excuse to drink eventually if I repeat that phrase enough"
For me, it's kind of like I'm at a point in my life where everything is so anticlimactic. People rave about how it isn't really until your 20s that you finish school and begin your "real life," whatever the hell that means. I just didn't picture that the past 22 years of my life would amount to this.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Torched Grave: You wrote "That's me. I want to slit my wrists when it's anything but 0% cloud cover and 95+ fahrenheit. It's genetic."
Sounds like Dorothy Parker, who is quoted as having said when entering a room, "What fresh hell is this?" Could living in hell be choice we are all entitled to make and we can make it 24/7?

W.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Sounds like Dorothy Parker, who is quoted as having said when entering a room, "What fresh hell is this?" Could living in hell be choice we are all entitled to make and we can make it 24/7?
I don't get it.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sellfish to the core. That was me at 22. Stuck in a morass of self pity. I din't know there was a whole other world out ther. I had to take some action to find it. Like getting more interested in my fellow human beings, and less interested in selfish things. Becoming a giver instead of a taker.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I just didn't picture that the past 22 years of my life would amount to this.
I don't care if you're a believer or an atheist, agnostic, whatever. The below words are monumental in achieving a sound mind.

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".

What is it that you can change about the past 22 years? Nothing. Why do you think the past 22 years have amounted to what they have? Either way, there isn't a thing that you can do about it.

However, and more importantly, what is it that you can do so that after the next 22 years you can look back and feel great about that time?

Let go of the idea of what has been and focus on what will be. For every minute you lament about the past you're robbing yourself of making right now and the future what you deserve it to be. Yes, you deserve it!

The hard thing to learn in life is that no one on this earth is going to make it so but you. People will have care and concern for you but no one can do the work for you, that's all up to you. By doing the work you'll be amazed and how much more richer and rewarding life is.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Sellfish to the core. That was me at 22. Stuck in a morass of self pity. I din't know there was a whole other world out ther. I had to take some action to find it. Like getting more interested in my fellow human beings, and less interested in selfish things. Becoming a giver instead of a taker.
This is what I was eluding to in an earlier post I made about maybe trying to post on other peoples threads to become more engaged in this community and help others. The response was directed back at himself "I figure I'm on the computer enough". Of course that was not the point, the point was to move the focus from thy self, and onto others.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

jazzfish... stand up comedy that is so rich a class. hahaahha go to a couple of comedy improve nights hahahahah.. a class... take a read through about 15 of the sights here and then stand in front of the mirror.. and it will row out of you like gold from a hot well.. promise.... oh I have done a cattle call back in the 1980's with 5000 that wanted a place in a training class for 25... I made it it was a blast the best part of my being 30ish in my life... can hear Bill Murray giving Dan Aykrod a rough time on how to pick up needy chicks in the group. hahahahahaha.. ah the smoke the booze and the all night comedy.. good luck kiddo have a ball kick it hard and by the way look out when you are on stage that you don't run into a silly old lady clown in the crowd.. thank you I needed this laughter so much...love ardy
Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

. He has a system for handling bad actors.
Asked what he does when he's in the middle of a film shoot and he knows it's not going well, Murray said, "Golly, that's hard. It doesn't happen that often, but maybe there's an actor that doesn't get it — you have to adjust a lot, and you try all kinds of things to shake someone out of it without appearing to be attending to them. But if someone's just not on the same page, you have to adjust the relationship, make it a different relationship than the ones in all the rest of the movie. You can't match what they're doing, but you make a movie within the movie with this one character."

Read more: 10 Things We Learned After a Weekend With Bill Murray | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 05-27-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

For me, it's kind of like I'm at a point in my life where everything is so anticlimactic. People rave about how it isn't really until your 20s that you finish school and begin your "real life," whatever the hell that means. I just didn't picture that the past 22 years of my life would amount to this.[/QUOTE]

I remember feeling exactly this way when I was your age, 20 years ago....you brought it back to me. We look forward to being on our own, getting away from our parents, having a job, our own apartment, etc. and then the novelty wears off, doesn't it? And it's day to day life, and the very thing we looked forward to seems to have let us down. So we're always looking away, towards some future event that will make us happy. If we drink, we can become great, if only in our minds.

Only problem is, the present moment is the only reality, and now is the only time we can be happy. Isn't there some expression like, "dreaming about the future (or the past) while pissing on the present."

Just something to consider
Old 05-27-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

that my Dear young man is so very very true.. may I quote you.."Only problem is, the present moment is the only reality, and now is the only time we can be happy. Isn't there some expression like, "dreaming about the future (or the past) while pissing on the present."

20 1970 had been married a year little boy of 9 months and carrying my second child... don't think I even thought about being 20ish.. or what it ment.. just wanted to grow up and have a life that was not under my fathers roof... for if I had not married or had children.. I would have been an old lady that had lived with her parents ... like so many did long ago .. and never know any of the great things I do now.. kids an beans wait until you are 66 and you look at the paper in the obits every day.. well Iam not there yet.. it's a standing joke... for over 100 years... yep... me this year I am going to just jump to 70 no kidding .. Hey Ardy How Old are you now 70.. have lost to many smiles since Jan 2016.. that will never make it that far.. so pop zoom right to the moon alice right o the Moon.. hey almost time to blow this Pop stand and hit the fish fry circle.. have to dig up an ETA and have some fun for the evening hugs prayers and get out there and find out what the world really is and laugh cry and hug someone even if they are a stranger.. and dance Bill Murray around if you run into him.. he is a very funny man.. the old fart... love ardy
Old 05-27-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Sellfish to the core. That was me at 22. Stuck in a morass of self pity.
I chose the word anticlimactic for a very specific reason. Not the same as self-pity.

Let go of the idea of what has been and focus on what will be.
I really hate corny **** like this, even if true.

The hard thing to learn in life is that no one on this earth is going to make it so but you. People will have care and concern for you but no one can do the work for you, that's all up to you.
I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of people are naive and think that we all get along and sing kumbaya, but we come into this world alone and die alone. Sure people can help us, but at the end of the day we all must carry ourselves.

This is what I was eluding to in an earlier post I made about maybe trying to post on other peoples threads to become more engaged in this community and help others. The response was directed back at himself "I figure I'm on the computer enough". Of course that was not the point, the point was to move the focus from thy self, and onto others.
Why do I need to help others? I'm sure that some people feel better by helping others, but why do you all assume that that's true for me? Better yet, why do y'all assume that I don't? (I don't, just playing devil's advocate.)

I remember feeling exactly this way when I was your age, 20 years ago....you brought it back to me. We look forward to being on our own, getting away from our parents, having a job, our own apartment, etc. and then the novelty wears off, doesn't it? And it's day to day life, and the very thing we looked forward to seems to have let us down. So we're always looking away, towards some future event that will make us happy. If we drink, we can become great, if only in our minds.

Only problem is, the present moment is the only reality, and now is the only time we can be happy. Isn't there some expression like, "dreaming about the future (or the past) while pissing on the present."
Thanks for this. I really needed to hear that.

----

Day 123

Pretty good day today. Because of the weather, I was able to bike to work today, which I haven't done in several weeks. I also worked the most hours this week. And to top it all off, Monday is Memorial Day! Not that it really matters, just that it's my first day off (minus weekends of course).

Anyway, cheers to all, Happy Memorial Day to all.

Enjoy y'all weekends, and, most importantly, stay sober!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by TorchedGrave View Post
Why do I need to help others? I'm sure that some people feel better by helping others, but why do you all assume that that's true for me? Better yet, why do y'all assume that I don't? (I don't, just playing devil's advocate.)

Selfish to the core, that was me. For alcoholics of my type, selfishness and selfcentredness is at the root of our problem. We have to get rid of it or it kills us. Medical experts assessed alcoholics as selfish and childish, it is a characteristic of alcoholism. But of course we can't see it until we are forced to.

The suggestion to get involved in other threads may open a door into a world you don't know exists. Why not give it a try?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

I'll only respond to the part in which you addressed me.

You don't need to help others, and I sure as **** didn't assume it would apply to you. And I don't assume it applies to you, I know it for a fact because according my computer, you haven't contributed to anyone's thread except your own for a LONG time.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

The suggestion to get involved in other threads may open a door into a world you don't know exists. Why not give it a try?
Why isn't simply reading other people's posts sufficient?

And I don't assume it applies to you, I know it for a fact because according my computer, you haven't contributed to anyone's thread except your own for a LONG time.
So what?