Notices

Starting over again

Old 07-23-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over again

I'm not sure why but every time i try to get sober I fail so I am going to go into this sobriety thing full force this time. I'm not only failing myself I'm failing my family. I have a 2 month old baby and I'm newly married and I have a good job. I am at risk of losing it all. My husband doesn't trust me with our child, my worst fear. He is very supportive though and has offered to help me as long as I want help, which I do. We are going to counseling together today. I want so badly to get out of this cycle and I'm scared that I never will. Does anyone have any tips about counseling? This is my first time going to a counselor for addiction and I want to make the most out of it. Today is my first day of sobriety and I am only sober because my husband got rid of all the alcohol in the house.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just be as honest as possible about your addiction to alcohol. I would say something along the lines that you don't go purchase alcohol and drink it in hopes of pissing your husband and everyone who loves you off. You weren't a little girl who thought "when I grow up, I want to be an alcoholic." Tell them how you feel like you are wired differently and you drink the alcohol to escape from feelings that overwhelm you and cause you stress. Always remember that drinking isn't the problem, it is the solution. The good news is there is another solution to choose from and that is working a program of recovery. For me I go to AA meetings, do service work, have a sponsor and work the steps. Now you need to figure out what is going to work for you and let the counselor and your husband know you need help in determining what that is. You obviously can't do this alone as it hasn't worked in the past. Let them know you need their help and how grateful you are that you have their support. A lot of people go into this without any support. They have burned all their bridges. Don't let it get to that point. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.

My husband also got rid of all the alcohol in the house and I was grateful for that. All these years later, we still don't ever keep alcohol in the house.

I went to an addiction counsellor for about 3 months and I didn't get a lot out of it. I'm sure part of that was on me. Hopefully your counsellor will work out well for you.

My advice is that you must be willing and motivated to stop drinking. And, you must be willing to make changes in your lifestyle to support your recovery.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Is it a certified substance abuse counselor? I'd say be open to what the counselor says. For instance, if AA is recommended, don't balk.

Also, make us of SR. Join the newcomers class and post daily.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back elfie and congrats on taking some bold steps to really make sobriety work this time. Regarding the counselor visit, just be totally honest. Tell them exactly how much you drink, how often and anything else you can think of. Explain how it makes you feel, why you want to quit, and why you are really there in the first place.

Also keep an open mind for the advice you will receive. Most likely you will hear things you don't want to hear, but have to in order to get better. True sobriety requires us to accept some things that are difficult to accept....that we are addicts for example.

Again, kudos for making this effort. Your family will be thankful too.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Elfie, I think you are doing some good things by seeking counseling and recognizing that you are at risk of losing A LOT right now. Give it everything you have. I wish you the best.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that telling the counselor that you don't know where to start is a good start. 😊 Hopefully they are experienced in substance abuse treatment and can offer you multiple support options for your recovery.

The good news is, your sweet baby will have no memory of this time and only know a life with a sober mom! You can do this, and we're here to support you.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say...do this for you. Concentrate on you. The "others" and the other "stuff" will fall into place. Once you get the "you" in better control, care, etc...you can work on what follows. It has to be about you because frankly it is about you. Your life depends on it. Change your thinking, to change your thinking, and in return this helps to change your life and everything concerning it.
You can do it! Believe in yourself..
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
I just wanted to say...do this for you. Concentrate on you. The "others" and the other "stuff" will fall into place. Once you get the "you" in better control, care, etc...you can work on what follows. It has to be about you because frankly it is about you. Your life depends on it. Change your thinking, to change your thinking, and in return this helps to change your life and everything concerning it.
You can do it! Believe in yourself..
Exactly! Best of luck!

KP
Old 07-23-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Keep on trying! It'll stick at some point xoxo
Don't stop trying
Old 07-23-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to see you