Notices

22 years old

Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

TG, this thread will dry up like dust, and you go ahead and keep feeding it with your own posts. In the end, day in and day out you will be responding to your own ideas and thoughts. I have no issue with that .

By your own admission, your mom will be back eventually and everything will be fine.

Dude, if you want to entertain yourself through a public forum, go for it. Unfortunately, I think the reality is that you will be the only one posting on this forum.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I think what people are trying to say is that in helping others, even just by offering a word of encouragement or support to newcomers, etc. ..we also help ourselves. That is, help ourselves to stay sober. I know this is true for me, and it is one of the core principles of AA
Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

TG, this thread will dry up like dust, and you go ahead and keep feeding it with your own posts. In the end, day in and day out you will be responding to your own ideas and thoughts. I have no issue with that .
Neither do I.

Unfortunately, I think the reality is that you will be the only one posting on this forum.
Again, I don't care. I'm sure there are people, like me, who read and enjoy others' stuff from behind the curtain. Just because ten people respond to my thread doesn't mean that there are only ten people benefitting. There could be another hundred million who simply read my stuff for their own inspiration. It's just impossible to know.

REGARDLESS,

To get to the true heart of the matter, I'd like to say that this whole thing started by me explaining that the reason I don't contribute to others' threads is because I spend too much time on the computer as it is. It wasn't until someone insinuated that the reason I don't is because I'm selfish that I started to challenge that idea. Whether I'm selfish or not (not disputing that) is really not why I don't post on others' stuff.

Further, you'd see that, excluding the past 2-3 days as being the exception, I typically don't even bother updating my own posts. Maybe one to two sentences here or there, and very typically not much content either. "Hey, the weather sucks!" is usually what you'd read. All of which is to say that the main reason that I don't often or always put much thought into posting (on either mine or others' threads) is due to time, and not so much to selfishness or self-centeredness. (Again, I'm not taking a position on my selfishness or lack thereof; I'm simply trying to clarify that the reason I don't contribute is not because of that.)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Funny, I thought that I'd be a bit out of shape because I hadn't biked at all the previous week, but I biked more this week than any of the preceding 5-6 weeks.

Don't have much planned for today, just watch the big man Isner play, then maybe go out in the afternoon.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Didn't this thread start with a statement like "life is so ainticlimactic" which to me means it is such a disappointment. All suggestions as to the cause and remedy for feeling like this have been rejected.

Seems to me you are getting out of life exactly what you are putting into it.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Keep on writing - I've enjoyed hearing your thoughts. Some resonate with me, some cause me to think and some I just reject ... But isn't that the point of a discussion thread?
One thing we do have in common is I like to analyze everything. I'm also not bothered by dissenting views and question when people speak in absolutes. Two words to be used very carefully are always and never.
Thanks for opening up a window to your views.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Didn't this thread start with a statement like "life is so ainticlimactic" which to me means it is such a disappointment. All suggestions as to the cause and remedy for feeling like this have been rejected.
Nah that wasn't the start of this thread; that only recently came up in the past couple of pages or so. What did come up at the start of this thread, however, was anhedonia, which may definitely have something to do with it.

What suggestions have been offered with respect to either the cause and/or remedy, much less rejected? Joining a comedy club? Posting on other people's threads? What do those have to do with life being anticlimactic?

Seems to me you are getting out of life exactly what you are putting into it.
What do you mean?

Some resonate with me, some cause me to think and some I just reject ... But isn't that the point of a discussion thread?
Three cheers for maturity!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Day 126

It's Memorial Day, which means it's an off day/holiday for a lot of people. As you'd probably expect, I just have to go into another rant about the weather... This is the first Memorial Day in five years that isn't sunny. Oddly enough, it doesn't really bother me. I think it doesn't because I wasn't expecting to have Memorial Day off anyway, so in my mind it's just another day. It's like, "Well if the weather is ******, at least I'm indoors at work and not missing out on anything;" that's my logic. Today will just be a slow chill day, will probably just catch up on some reading/writing.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

"After all, sobriety in itself is not a way of life. It is simply the absence of intoxication. It is what one does with his sobriety and his life that is important."

Wise words. Read into them as you like.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Yeah so it seems that this week will go by pretty quickly, since it's only a four day week.

I find it really hard to believe that tomorrow is June. I still remember the first day of Spring as if it were yesterday, and here we are only three weeks away from the official start of summer.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Day 128

It's ******* June!

And just under two weeks left!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Day 129

So this is the third time that my manager asks me whether I'd like to continue working there. (She's made it clear that she'd like me to stay, and that I'm welcome to. I'd just need to formally tell her.) I still haven't, and don't know if I ever will. I'm mostly riding this wave and seeing how far it'll take me. Alas, I wasn't able to hide my true feelings as well as I could have. She asked me something along the lines of, "Do you like it here?" And all I could muster was an, "Uhh... yeah." So that kind of summed it up.

On the one hand, I know that it's a rare thing to find someone who genuinely sees the potential in you and gives you encouraging feedback. On the other hand, I'm slowly starting to ask myself whether that is enough, whether that more than makes up for the fact that the nature of the work itself is quite mundane, monotonous, and uninspiring. If the choice is between being acknowledged for one's work, even when that work isn't really that enjoyable, and between doing work that one genuinely enjoys doing, irrespective of any acknowledgement that may or may not follow, I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that the better option is the latter.

There's a funny thing I read a while back about how to think of your job. Would you marry her? Unequivocally no.

Or am I just overthinking this?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorchedGrave View Post
Day 129

So this is the third time that my manager asks me whether I'd like to continue working there. (She's made it clear that she'd like me to stay, and that I'm welcome to. I'd just need to formally tell her.) I still haven't, and don't know if I ever will. I'm mostly riding this wave and seeing how far it'll take me. Alas, I wasn't able to hide my true feelings as well as I could have. She asked me something along the lines of, "Do you like it here?" And all I could muster was an, "Uhh... yeah." So that kind of summed it up.

On the one hand, I know that it's a rare thing to find someone who genuinely sees the potential in you and gives you encouraging feedback. On the other hand, I'm slowly starting to ask myself whether that is enough, whether that more than makes up for the fact that the nature of the work itself is quite mundane, monotonous, and uninspiring. If the choice is between being acknowledged for one's work, even when that work isn't really that enjoyable, and between doing work that one genuinely enjoys doing, irrespective of any acknowledgement that may or may not follow, I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that the better option is the latter.

There's a funny thing I read a while back about how to think of your job. Would you marry her? Unequivocally no.

Or am I just overthinking this?
Jobs are like girlfriends, it's easier to get one when you already have one. Don't settle for a boring career but keep this job until you get another one. Right now the structure is probably good for you.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
~sb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6kaAS_IMik
Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Jobs are like girlfriends, it's easier to get one when you already have one. Don't settle for a boring career but keep this job until you get another one. Right now the structure is probably good for you.
My thoughts exactly. The job will keep me occupied, and thus sober, and will put some money in my pocket. Win-win.

@sugarbear1

Thanks for the link. I fancy documentaries. I'll enjoy watching this.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Day 130

I think it's funny how I went from pulling the most hours at work last week to the least hours at work this week. But it's only because Monday was off haha.

I also finally cut my hair, which I haven't done in over three months.

And well, the nice weather we had last week was fun while it lasted. Now it seems we're back to the seasonal average. Too bad.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

@sugarbear1

Hey man thanks again for that video, just finished watching it. It was definitely sobering. I also liked the upbeat at the end. Too I often I find that a lot of documentaries of this type end on a gloomy, despondent note, while this didn't.

Oh, by the way, y'all should definitely watch the movie, The Departed, if you haven't already. It's one of my all-time favorites. I'm a pretty tough critic, but it truly is excellent. Just thought I'd share that.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I read this xoxo
Nice work!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Day 131

So while walking home today, I chose to take a slight detour in my route onto a (quite deserted) subway platform. As I'm walking, I see this guy leaning over the rails throwing up. Clearly drunk/hungover. It was midday, ~12 noon. He was alone. And I kind of felt bad for the guy. He wasn't disheveled or homeless. He wasn't a junkie. He was just a regular guy who had a few too many. And then I thought to myself, "That's an experience that I've had my share of. I feel your pain dude." And then I tried to remember - when was the last time that I threw up from having drank too much? Easy. Late October. **** ain't fun.

Anyway, glad to have caught up on some reading today. Unfortunately, the weather this weekend is very depressing, and so I haven't taken my bike out, and probably won't for a while. Overcast + humid? Either of them alone, don't mind so much. Both together? Not my thing.

Hope y'all having nice weekends. Here's to the (near) advent of what hopefully proves to be one of the hottest summers on record!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Day 132

If you've been keeping up with my journal, you'd know that I've been giving my mom **** for being abroad for so long. But my grandfather died yesterday, which she would've missed if she had returned as scheduled. So I guess it's good that she stayed. Funny how things work out!

In other news, it's been quite the uneventful weekend. It just started thunderstorming.