Notices

I am gonna catch hell for this

Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pervision.html
Old 07-18-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Regardless of what you decide, hope it works out the best for you!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I think if we're switching up the types of drink or our patterns of drinking in order to facilitate our drinking and be able to feel better our justify or control over alcohol then we're on very slippery ground!!

For a long time I used to change types, no spirits, no wine, only beer, only wine on weekends, only spirits on special occasions, no drinking during the week, only on weekends, have 2 alcohol free days a week, have 1 alcohol free day a week, the goalposts were ever changing and the issue with drinking still remained the same.

I guess it all comes back to what is said to many newcomers, it's not about volume, it's about our behaviours when it comes to alcohol, and people without a problem don't have these behaviours!!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Really?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think this thread has become less useful so I won't participate in it anymore. But you all go ahead if you like.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Artfriend, I don't really have anything that great to add. I'm sorry, my four hours of sleep are starting to show and my brain is not kicking in as it should. However I wanted to give you ((hugs))
Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I think this thread has become less useful so I won't participate in it anymore. But you all go ahead if you like.
You're not the first one, but you've done the same thing before when you didn't like the responses you got. It would be inappropriate and potentially harmful to support anyone's plan for drinking here.

It's difficult to imagine that there's not more going on here than meets the eye. As Aellyce suggested, things just don't add up.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I have tried to moderate with wine, I forget what it was called it was the sweet kind with low alcohol content. I didn't like it because it was too sweet and was hard on the stomach so I thought I could moderate with it. Long story short this lasted a few weeks then I said what the h*** and switched back to my favorite brand of beer.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never liked wine. Hated it really...but sometimes it was the only thing to drink.

I would start off slow and feel really proud of myself - this was it - I just had to drink something I hated!...YES!

The rest is a blur.

As for bottoms...I dug for mine for over 20 years - I'm pretty lucky I didn't dig myself a grave.
The smartest this this dullard ever did was stop digging

Do you really think you might not be an alcoholic, AF? You seem too smart to me for that.

D
Old 07-18-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

ArtFriend,
I love cerebral stuff. I love debates. Not so much to prove my point but to learn from others (and ok, to show my point is the right one). I question everything because what you see isn't always what you get. I just want to know "why" things are the way they are. I'm not questioning other peoples' sincerity. I just need to know why things are the way they are. That's just the way I am. I questioned a lot of things in AA, and got nowhere. People say don't think, just do. That approach to anything just doesn't work for me. Being pretty stubborn doesn't help much. I don't believe that someone's path to sobriety is the right one for me. It's their path, not mine, but I can learn from it. You need to carve your own path, with the guidance of others to avoid some of the pitfalls. Again, I commend you on your honesty on this forum, but now you have a head full of information. I really think that sobriety has to do with a feeling more than knowledge, although I believe knowledge can eventually guide us to that feeling we need and want. Good luck on your journey. John
Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do you really think you might not be an alcoholic, AF? You seem too smart to me for that.

D
Even non-alcoholics can be smart Dee
Old 07-18-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
ArtFriend,
I love cerebral stuff. I love debates. Not so much to prove my point but to learn from others (and ok, to show my point is the right one). I question everything because what you see isn't always what you get. I just want to know "why" things are the way they are. I'm not questioning other peoples' sincerity. I just need to know why things are the way they are. That's just the way I am. I questioned a lot of things in AA, and got nowhere. People say don't think, just do. That approach to anything just doesn't work for me. Being pretty stubborn doesn't help much. I don't believe that someone's path to sobriety is the right one for me. It's their path, not mine, but I can learn from it. You need to carve your own path, with the guidance of others to avoid some of the pitfalls. Again, I commend you on your honesty on this forum, but now you have a head full of information. I really think that sobriety has to do with a feeling more than knowledge, although I believe knowledge can eventually guide us to that feeling we need and want. Good luck on your journey. John

Thanks John! Same to you!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
You're not the first one, but you've done the same thing before when you didn't like the responses you got. It would be inappropriate and potentially harmful to support anyone's plan for drinking here.

It's difficult to imagine that there's not more going on here than meets the eye. As Aellyce suggested, things just don't add up.
I'm here. What doesn't add up? I will try to explain.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Alright, I'm making dinner now.

Catch a whiff. Catch a break. Catch a ride. Catch Hell?

Do you feel the need to catch Hell today for some reason? You appear to be cool as a cucumber and no one has responded in a disrespectful manner. Why then create a post anticipating Hell catching? Do you need a hug? Fellowship? Sparring partners?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Even non-alcoholics can be smart Dee
Being smart has nothing to do with addiction. If intelligence and knowledge was enough for people to deal with their addiction, there would be fewer people on this forum or other resources for that matter. For me, I can't think my way out of this addiction. I wish it was that easy, and it ticks me off to no end that that isn't enough. My thinking or reasoning has helped me out of a lot of potential problems, but this one is different. It really pisses me off, because in my mind it should be no different than any other challenge I've faced. You recognize a problem, you make a plan than you deal with it. Problem solved, than you move on to the next challenge. No big deal. Unfortunately this is a problem that just won't go away. Don't get it and absolutely hate it more than anything else. I wish it was just a broken arm that with proper help can be taken care of. Dealing with addiction is a 24/7 job and it really stinks and can be very tiring. Personally I don't blame anybody for giving up, wanting to take a break from the fight. Most people get tired of the battle and want to regroup than pick up the armor again and fight the good fight. The important thing is that you keep picking that armor up and keep fighting. Most battles in history has more to do with feeling than with intelligence. Information is great and very useful, but's its your gut along with that intelligence that's proves successful. AF, your brain is only small part the battle your dealing with. Most people that have overcome obsticles have also relied on outside resources to accomplish what they want. Our brain only incompases a very small part of any problem. Expecting our brain to solve any problem is just not realistic, it's impossible. Increasing our brain matter means taking in others' thoughts. Otherwise, there is no growing. People here are telling you what you are doing is risky if not dangerous. Good luck. John
Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Being smart has nothing to do with addiction. If intelligence and knowledge was enough for people to deal with their addiction, there would be fewer people on this forum or other resources for that matter. For me, I can't think my way out of this addiction. I wish it was that easy, and it ticks me off to no end that that isn't enough. My thinking or reasoning has helped me out of a lot of potential problems, but this one is different. It really pisses me off, because in my mind it should be no different than any other challenge I've faced. You recognize a problem, you make a plan than you deal with it. Problem solved, than you move on to the next challenge. No big deal. Unfortunately this is a problem that just won't go away. Don't get it and absolutely hate it more than anything else. I wish it was just a broken arm that with proper help can be taken care of. Dealing with addiction is a 24/7 job and it really stinks and can be very tiring. Personally I don't blame anybody for giving up, wanting to take a break from the fight. Most people get tired of the battle and want to regroup than pick up the armor again and fight the good fight. The important thing is that you keep picking that armor up and keep fighting. Most battles in history has more to do with feeling than with intelligence. Information is great and very useful, but's its your gut along with that intelligence that's proves successful. AF, your brain is only small part the battle your dealing with. Most people that have overcome obsticles have also relied on outside resources to accomplish what they want. Our brain only incompases a very small part of any problem. Expecting our brain to solve any problem is just not realistic, it's impossible. Increasing our brain matter means taking in others' thoughts. Otherwise, there is no growing. People here are telling you what you are doing is risky if not dangerous. Good luck. John
Thank you John. Great thoughts here.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
Alright, I'm making dinner now.

Catch a whiff. Catch a break. Catch a ride. Catch Hell?

Do you feel the need to catch Hell today for some reason? You appear to be cool as a cucumber and no one has responded in a disrespectful manner. Why then create a post anticipating Hell catching? Do you need a hug? Fellowship? Sparring partners?
huh? I am sorry I am not following you here Verte
Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Nurturing your addiction just prolongs the agony. Sobriety is about choices. The ball is in our court, it always has been.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

John - thanks I was being sarcastic. The way he phrased that was "I thought you were too smart to be a non-alcoholic"

Sorry, but good thoughts.