Notices

Yippee!!!! The Weekender Thread Sept 19-21

Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Dang it. I just erased everything I just typed. At some point I will go back to it. Chicago is the other pizza capital. Who just had the "pizza war" about which was better? NYC v. Chicago. Our mayor and someone else. I am partial to sausage and mushroom. Once in a while deep dish with spinach and mushroom. I'm hungry but think I will eat ice cream.
I was wondering when the Chicago pizza timebomb set earlier in the thread by parties unnamed would go off.

I am somewhat conflicted as my parents are from the Chicago area but I am culturally a New Yorker and a Muscovite. Not to mention Georgian and Martian.

Also, I had the best pizza of my life in a little place in Manhattan which has probably been eradicated by the sanitized and glossy likes of Szabo et al.

On the other hand, Chicagoans have to deal with the bitterly cold winds off Lake Michigan, whereas New Yorkers only have to deal with internal wind, therefore the difference in their pizza carb content.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Fun fact: Chicago was nicknamed the Windy City because of the "hot air" that blew forth from their politicians...not the actual winds off the Lake (which are just as bad!)

Six days until my next flight out of the States. Chipping away here. Just sold one of my beds tonight, my 2nd TV is going tomorrow. Raking in cash money for all my stuff, but I'm selling it at a discount. It will good to be free of a lot of material things that held no real value to me. Set the Gas & Electric to be turned off. Wheels are in motion. One foot in front of the other.

Funny thing happened when I was moving things into boxes today. I opened up an old drawer, and found a crossword puzzle book. When I opened it up, this little poem fell out. I have no idea where it came from, how it got there. Maybe it's something I had with me from rehab, but I certainly don't remember it. Maybe one of my houseguests left it there. No clue. Anyway...it was eerily timely, and contains wise words for anyone. Thought I'd share it:

Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I can't get too excited over who has the best pizza. There is good and bad pizza everywhere. I just threw that out there to cause trouble. And I am from Chicago.

It will be hot and windy tomorrow. Now that hot is 79 degrees after a string of sixty degrees instead of ninety. Glad all your stuff is selling BigS. You'll be sleeping on the floor before long. Thanks for sharing that poem.

Time for bed. Too much fun here keeps me up too late.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I really need this thread tonight. Friday night, just got off work, both triggers a want to party. I am really pissed off about being sober today. Second guessing my commitment to sobriety, wondering if this is really what I want. Ugh.

Big Sigh, now that I got that out in the open, I can see it's the addictions creeping in and going back out there is not what I want.

But I do want SOMETHING more... Just don't know what that is.

Jumping out of my skin right now. I hate this part of being sober.

Riding the wave. This too shall pass.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Well, the important thing to remember is that drinking will never give you anything MORE but instead will rob you of that chance. How far along are you in your recovery, bookmaven? It's a painful process but you'll come off better for it.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Well, the important thing to remember is that drinking will never give you anything MORE but instead will rob you of that chance. How far along are you in your recovery, bookmaven? It's a painful process but you'll come off better for it.
5 months
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I've cream sandwich at 1:33 in the morning
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
5 months
Nice!!! It's a big achievement and you should take pride in it, don't let your mind trivialize and question it. And don't dish on sobriety, it didn't cause your current funk.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I really need this thread tonight. Friday night, just got off work, both triggers a want to party. I am really pissed off about being sober today. Second guessing my commitment to sobriety, wondering if this is really what I want. Ugh.

Big Sigh, now that I got that out in the open, I can see it's the addictions creeping in and going back out there is not what I want.

But I do want SOMETHING more... Just don't know what that is.

Jumping out of my skin right now. I hate this part of being sober.

Riding the wave. This too shall pass.
I felt exactly that was after work yesterday. I even started to rationalise away my need to be sober ( and I am one manipulative bastard) . In the end I had my first sober week in over a year. Despite the rationalisations etc I didn't at any stage come close to actually seriously considering a drink thanks to the concept I learned here of my "alcoholic voice". It's been really helpful for me to personify my acoholic voice as representing the vile. slimy, snake oil salesman type person I become when I am drinkingp. And I know better than anyone what a piece of dirt that voice is and not to trust it.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
I need to make a few pizza clarifications and when I refer to, "pizza" I'm speaking of the American adaptation. There is unequivocally bad pizza. If you are from one of the 2 pizza capitals of the USA (NY and their dirty little sister NJ), you shall NOT be able to classify such items as Elios, papa johns, dominos, Pizza Hut, and other flabby disgusting circular items as acceptable "pizza", rather pissA. As well the idea of such items as bacon and/or mashed potatoes on pizza is a cardinal sin, and I'm actually offended by it! Ok enough about that!
IM I absolutely and unequivocally agree! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Bookmaven ,
hope your ok , sometimes the answer to a stinky day was a long shower and an early night for me … strange how good the morning looks when i've got through the day and night before sober, things feel different in the morning .

Remember if it's really bad then maybe open a thread asking on the forum because not everyone reads the weeKENder ..

If it's excitement you feel has gone then what are you doing thats exciting ? mountain climbing ? sponsored sky diving ? run and train for the new york marathon ? If you don't know what you find thrilling why not try something different each weekend ?
Lots to do and see , get involved with

Hey everyone ,
Saturday morning coffee going on , catching up with you all , had a nice message from a former regular on SR , he's back out there for the moment and knows a bottom is lurking … what can you do ? just offer support and the benefit of my small experience … doubt if it'll be much use but it's something … the bhuddists say slowly drip by drip a large pot can be filled to overflowing .. so we all do what we can eh ?

Mex-m8 fell down the stairs last night , he's a bit rattled but OK , will go see him today and encourage him to be more moderate with this "diet" he's on .. probably stood up a bit quick !
Could worry about lots of things this morning , work , finances , housing , others , health , lot's of stuff … but i'm just concentrating on the coffee, the comfy bed, my sober weekend attainers and maintainer friends .
just listening to a bit of Halford :-
www.youtube.com/v/j0K2ll8063Y
Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Not had time to catch up yet reading this thread but hopefully I will..... im offout in a bit to do a sponsored walk in aid of dementia... one of the horrible illnesses my poor mum suffered with.
on a good note.....at least im doing it sober and hangover free!
had a busy week with work, college work etc but still looking for ways to relax and celebrate without the wine...... been over doing the sweets and choccy........ time for a coffee now....will try not to spill it on our bus... catch u soon.xxx
Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
...If it's excitement you feel has gone then what are you doing thats exciting ? mountain climbing ? sponsored sky diving ? run and train for the new york marathon ? If you don't know what you find thrilling why not try something different each weekend ? Lots to do and see , get involved with
I guess I am a bit of an adrenaline junky. Been to the top of a Colorado Fourteener, bungee jumping, sky diving, bike riding on a volcano, and was in the process of earning my hang glider pilot's license before my addictions (including one to a person - I guess I'm a chemically dependent alanon-ic. Or a codependent addict? I forgot double winner!) oh yeah and I ride a motorcycle too.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I guess I am a bit of an adrenaline junky. Been to the top of a Colorado Fourteener, bungee jumping, sky diving, bike riding on a volcano, and was in the process of earning my hang glider pilot's license before my addictions (including one to a person - I guess I'm a chemically dependent alanon-ic. Or a codependent addict? I forgot double winner!) oh yeah and I ride a motorcycle too.
Tonight I ended up binge watching season 4 of True Blood until 3:30 in the morning.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Bike riding on a volcano? Cool! I am living in the land of volcanoes right now and have hiked a few, but we don't have biking on these bad boys. Some of these volcanos (Fuego, for example) are quite active and you can see them smoking daily from town.

You ride a motorcycle eh? I have been pondering getting one. However, I'm not well trained in riding and I would need some lessons before I even consider it. We don't really have "courses" down here, that I know of. Any tips? Like, "how to get started" with buying a bike? I am not concerned with getting a Harley or anything, we don't even have them where I live. I just need a basic, lower cc-engine entry-level bike. I am 39 and have never owned a motorcycle.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Keep at it bookmaven... Let's make that next fix something positive. I am not brave enough to do a lot of what you have done.

Good to see you petals!

Hey SoberJim.... How about a check in my friend?

(((M)))

Ok... Listen up. Let's get this thing in full swing. I was being polite. NYC has the best pizza.

LB... I didn't post any fliers but you and all the regulars keep the conversation fun and interesting so I think it's catching on! Always good to see you here!

As for me... Had a great day yesterday. Took the old diabetic cat Henry to the vet. I won't go back there. The vet did not know how to handle a cat! Then they took him in the back to get his blood drawn and I heard him scream. He took a little from them! They had the nerve to come say that Henry peed himself and they were "trying" to clean him up a little. And she asked if he was like this at home. I said no. He is a very docile cat. I said it in my ken voice which for people that know me know not to mess with me when you get me there. Henry is curled up next to me trying to gain ground on the big leather comfy chair we are sharing at the moment. Purring loudly and a wet nose shoved in my hand nudging to get the desired head scratch that is being demanded. I give in every other head but... Can't give in every time. I am no sucker for this cats lovin... Lol hmmm...

Good to see so many. Thanks for keeping me company this weekend!

K
Old 09-20-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Weasel, a NY firefighter retired down to Lake Oconee in Georgia a few years back. Got him a nice lake house and opened a pizza place making NYC neighborhood pizza. He keeps having to expand as the folks around there find out what real pizza is.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

BigSombrero - very timely that 'poem' you found. Thanks for sharing it. Good luck finishing up and moving out.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

bookmaven - at around 5 months I was about the same. It seemed like I was a prisoner or something - hard to explain. All I knew was that I had to persevere if I wanted to come out on the other end. After six months my entire attitude toward life started to change. This was my convalescence period after having gone through the "stages" of grief. A lot happened in my life suddenly. My life was turned upside down. I'm still not back on top of the mountain, but I'm back on my feet. Had to learn how to walk before I could run again. Perhaps that is where you may be. You'll pull through. Just don't give up.