Notices

Yippee!!!! The Weekender Thread Sept 19-21

Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Elton's Mentor

Elton readily attributes Long John Baldry with getting Elton to play Commercially. Roots Rockin' right here, along with some fun Video Clips...

Music Video Link

'Don't Try To Lay No Boogie-Woogie On The King Of Rock And Roll' ~ Long John Baldry

Wiki ~ Long John Baldry

About the time Elton was recording 'Yellow Brick Road' up at Caribou Studios West of Boulder, he surprised this Boulder High School Group by popping into their Photo. He was up around the University Campus getting some Ice Cream, as the story went...

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Elton John In Boulder.jpg (81.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Kinda wandered off the reservation, but who can't love this lady's pipes:

Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Print this out and put it in your pocket. Just keep saying, "I quit drinking when I a got a Round Tuit".
Thank you, I made it!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Well that was both satisfying and frustrated. Satisfying because I assembled the base cabinet for the kitchen sink. It isn't finished but the main thing is put together. Frustrating because the back piece, meant to stabilize the entire thing has no holes in it to accommodate plumbing. And it scares me because I'm not sure how sturdy it is. I'm reusing the current sink which is porcelain over cast iron. The old fifties cabinets, while falling apart at the drawers, are rock solid and heavy. More than sturdy enough to support the fifties sink. It's one big unit, not individual units. The base for the sink may need additional support. Sigh.

Nothing planned for tomorrow except laundry. I had thought museum trip but no. I took today off from housework. Grocery shopping, cleaning, washing. The litany of the usual. And I can do it tomorrow because I stayed sober today.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Elton John was a member of the senior women's club?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Thank you, I made it!
Yay!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ruby, it's meant to be drilled for the pipes and bolted to the wall.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks Trach. That makes me feel better. What doesn't make me feel better is that I just now read on Ikea's website that they are discontinuing the entire cabinet system and replacing it with one that isn't compatible. I decided that I need one more pantry cabinet because I've filled the new one already and want to add a couple of more drawers to the one I just put in. Best buy it before February 1, 2015. I worked at crate and barrel for two years. I should be used to perfectly fine things being discontinued seemingly at random
Old 09-20-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, I discontinued my life seemingly at random for a while so....I guess retailers can, too. Sorry for your problem.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

ok, this song may have triggers if you take it the wrong way. Mods, remove it if you see fit. I think it speaks to the recovery in us.

And I wish I had my big stereo set up and no neighbors for miles.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I said, in the yard. You were rich if you had a screened porch.
Please forgive me for stepping on your humor.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SnowDawg View Post
Please forgive me for stepping on your humor.
Uh, It weren't humor. And we don't take insult over having a sofa in the yard.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Uh, It weren't humor. And we don't take insult over having a sofa in the yard.
Bless your heart
Old 09-20-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SnowDawg View Post
Bless your heart
Another Southerner. Thank God.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sofa's in yards and porches ? wow … that pretty exotic behaviour , when i went to spain they seem to like to drag their furniture outside and sit in it .
The most popular way, seemingly, is to up and over your up and over garage door and place the sofa underneath half in the shade looking out onto the street .
This enables hard and stoney faced staring at strangers like myself , until i smile and wave hello , then I nearly always get a nice smile and wave back again

Sunday morning coffee time if you indoors or out doors enjoying your furniture i hope your comfy and having a fun, sober time .

If you didn't get through saturday night , it's a new day today and we get another go to try and get it right this time :-
Gerry Rafferty - Get It Right Next Time - YouTube

Take care , m
Old 09-20-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

So birthday lunch went well. A waiter walked by with some beers on his tray at one point and my brain knee-jerked and went, "oh, that looks good!" - not in a craving, must.drink.now kind of way, just - my brain is still wired to respond to alcohol in a desirous light.

Came home, spent some time with my guy friend, then went to AA meeting at six. Said guy friend has promised all week that he was going to take me to dinner tonight; I was looking forward to it.

I get out of the meeting to get a text saying, "sorry, can't afford to take you out tonight" - well phooey. I got - sad, then cried, then got mad. (I'm going to vent here for a sec) - okay. Firstly, YOU were the one to tell ME that you'd like to take me to dinner on my bday - you said this at least a week ago, if not more. In other words, you've had time to plan this. Secondly, why tell me this NOW? I mean, I could've made other plans. This also leaves me, the freshly-sober-alcoholic, with an open-ended "Big 3-0" birthday night.

I grumbled internally and externally.

Sulked.

Moped.

Then scraped my silly ass up off the floor (proverbially) and took myself to Barnes & Noble, from where I perused books and texted a couple of my girlfriends. I knew I couldn't stay home, if even simply because I had been psychologically prepared to go out already (I even went to my meeting dressed for dinner. Lol) ... anyway, one of my girlfriends was out at karaoke (Korean karaoke bar no less) with a big group of folks and she insisted I come.

I panicked, because I've only ever done karaoke twice (come to think of it, on my last two birthdays!) - and both times I did it I was completely sloshed. She knows I'm sober and committed to it (she's a dear, good friend) so I told her - I'm not sure that's a good idea.

But by the time I got back home from Barnes and Noble, I knew that it'd be better for me to just sit on a couch surrounded by strangers than to sit at home alone, listening to the fridge hum and singing my poorlilme pity song, so I headed right back out.

It was a gorgeous night; I rolled the windows down and blasted some Disturbed and Korn, showed up and ya know what? I had a BLAST. Stayed for a couple hours, drank a couple diet cokes and ate some fries, and ...

SANG SOBER!!!!! :o

I thought I was going to die of anxiety, but it was a great group of people (the kind that just accept folks for who they are, no judgment whatsoever, a motley crew of all makes and models themselves) ... I was so grateful for that distraction, and heck, that PR of singing sober.

So in the end it was a great birthday - not without its trials - but definitely worth its salt.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Fantastic!!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Sunday morning...10am...

No piles of empties by the bed, no spilt booze on the floor, no cringing at the night before, no dry/cracked skin, no pounding headache, no urge to continue drinking, no wasting stupid amounts of money, no anxiety, no depression.

Another weekend without the drink.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Awesome to wake to the sound of the weekenders.

Congrats CL and CG2014!!!!

Happy for you RD!!!!

Sorry if that joke offended anyone. IM asked for jokes and that's all I got. I tend to do situational humor.

gonna get a good walk in when the sun starts to rise. I went and got a good set of wireless earbuds to walk with. No need to deal with a wire as I walk.

Catch up later.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Offended? Pfft! It was hysterical. I posted it on Facebook!
And they (a cousin) got offended.
LOL